NAS 110 slow to start- help wanted - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Architect
David Crumley
NAS D90

NAS 110 slow to start- help wanted

Help wanted- I have a NAS 110 that is slow to start (some of the time). Sometimes it starts right up. Other times it turns over 8 to 10 times before starting. Starting fluid in the air intake does not make a difference. The fuel pump, rotor and rotor cap, plugs and fuel filter have all been replaced. It seems to struggle starting most when hot. Once it starts it runs great! Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect
Help wanted- I have a NAS 110 that is slow to start (some of the time). Sometimes it starts right up. Other times it turns over 8 to 10 times before starting. Starting fluid in the air intake does not make a difference. The fuel pump, rotor and rotor cap, plugs and fuel filter have all been replaced. It seems to struggle starting most when hot. Once it starts it runs great! Any ideas would be appreciated.
Did this happen after you replaced these items? Assuming you still have the 3.9L, these engines are sensitive when it comes to the rotor/cap. What did you replace them with?

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Put a Mean Green Starter on that bad boy. It's start fast then!
Mine has one and you can bump roll your way out of a bog!

Dendy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2009, 08:46 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

My battery died a few days ago and I had a spare diesel battery around so I put it in my NAS. It is long but skinny and fit under the seat next to the winch solenoid. Man does that thing crank the motor nicely. It was 15 degrees this morning and that puppy fired right up. I had had probelms with cold weather starting in the past, those days are gone now.

As for your problem, hot starting is a common problem, pull your plugs and see what they look like, is it running rich? As stated above, check your dizzy and rotor, is your timing set properly? Many times it is not one thing but a combination of serveral smaller factors.
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Architect
David Crumley
NAS D90

Thanks Grover. I cannot say for sure but it seems like it got worse after the installs. I first changed the fuel filter with an off brand from Rovers North. Then the fuel pump b/c I thought it wasn't getting proper fuel and the black box under the dash indicated the pump had issues. None of this helped. I then replaced the cap, rotor & plugs with a kit from British Atlantic but still no improvement in start time. I did notice that the plastic dust cover under the rotor was cracked (the shield for the elec. ignition).
Still slow to start.
The fuel filter is mounted in the correct direction but, could it be the fuel filter? Perhaps the off brand filter damaged the fuel pump??

Follow-up Post:

Thanks Scott,
The plugs are new and the problem existed with old plugs as well. It might be the timing. Although it runs well once started.
Are there two fuel pumps on a stock NAS 110? My manuals seem to indicate a second pump under the hood?
I will have the timing checked.

Follow-up Post:

Also, what is a "dizzy"?
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:44 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

dizzy= electric spinny thingamabob in a gas engine a.k.a. the distributor
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:40 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I may be stupid but I have never found evidence of a second fuel pump in my NAS, only the unit in the fuel tank.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, nas, nas 110, start