NAS 110 Handbrake - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 17th, 2009, 11:37 PM
rogersta
Drew Rogers
1993 NAS D110 #51

NAS 110 Handbrake

My handbrake (parking brake) sometimes will not release in my truck and I believe it is the expander (part that is connected to the handbrake cable and pushes and retracts the drums. I called RN and they were quoting me $400 for a new one and $250 for a rebuild kit. Does that sound right? Anyone else dealt with this or have any info on part # and where else I might find one.
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
I bought one recently from the UK, Paddock I believe . . . around $75

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFE...Foperated.html
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:52 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

There's very little to go wrong inside them anyway, why not just strip and clean it out?

There's a tapered "plunger" that is pulled when you apply the brake. on these tapers there are 2 rollers that push out the pistons, that then push the shoes out.

I've had numerous ones in the past siezed up, the grease gets all covered in poo and brake dust, and eventually locks solid.

easy to get to:

chock the wheels, handbrake off,
remove the rear prop shaft (you only need to take off the handbrake end, but it may be easier to undo the diff end first then you can rotate and move "up" the shaft to get a socket in there... 9/16"s size)

undo the cross head screw
remove drum (you may need to slacken off the adjuster to get the drum off)

remove the shoes (peel apart and lift off of the lower expander and the top one.... or maybe left and right, depends on what type of brake you have)..make note of where the springs go!

undo the linkage to get the cable off of the expander, then there should be a spring-steel "staple" that just slides off of the back of the expander, it should then pull free.,

clean it up, degrease etc, re-assemble with a little bit of grease in there, re-assemble.

job done!

exploded image<----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Yeah, or what he said. They do rebuild very easily. No seals or anything to replace, just a little cleaning, and a little greasing.

Great write-up BTW!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, brake, nas, nas 110