NAS 110 fuel tank conversion steel to ROW plastic - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 6th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
NAS 110 fuel tank conversion steel to ROW plastic

can someone tell me if this is a straight swap with the mounting holes? I know many have done this already. mine developed a little drip today and I'm doing my homework now.

I'm assuming a new sender and fill hose and tank guard as well. correct me if I'm wrong on any of those please.

I also see the 110 ROW diesel tank (WFE000190) that also looks to be steel. anybody know if those mounts are the same as my stock tank? I do like having a drain plug.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Do you have a part number for the plastic one? I just put a tank back in a NAS 110 today (for these second time ).
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
well it looks like the plastic one for a 110 is for later year 99+ trucks. RN has a plastic direct replacement tank for the nas 110 but it's crazy money (RNK4297). I'm diesel now so I have no need to stick with a petrol tank. The ROW steel replacement tank is only $300. If someone can confirm that the row diesel steel tank is a direct replacement for the mounting position of the petrol tank, I'll get a new sender and go that way. I don't need any of those extra emission tubes or the inline fuel pump.

If it's not straightforward, I'll just get another v8 tank.

All the plastic tanks for NAS D's are for 90's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

RRC steel tanks are direct replacement?
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
RRC steel tanks are direct replacement?
They are the same tank, from what I understand... Just the sending unit an fuel pump are what are different. They have blanking plates where the fuel pump is suppose to be.
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
They are the same tank, from what I understand... Just the sending unit an fuel pump are what are different. They have blanking plates where the fuel pump is suppose to be.
no, they are different tanks. the diesel tank only has a single breather pipe, the petrol tank has the 4 pipes for emissions. the petrol uses a in tank pump with pickup on top, the diesel instead has just the pickup pipe. The senders are different as well.

yes, it appears the petrol tank NTC4553 is the same for the nas 110 and RRC's. My petrol tank has diesel. my in tank pump is disconnected. only there for the pickup pipe.

if the diesel and petrol tanks are pretty much the same in shape and mounting holes, it makes sense for me to get the diesel with diesel pickup pipe and sender. I have all those emissions pipes blanked off as of now.

NAS tank with emission pipes and internal pump

Diesel tank (or petrol RRC with external pump)

Old March 6th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Gotcha, we did a Deisel to petrol conversion. When we did we just took out the blanking plate and installed the fuel pump and went back to work. Left the diesel sending unit and gauge, just flushed the tank and lines.
Old March 6th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
From all i can gather, it sounds like the two tanks are the same except for the extra emissions pipes, but it would be nice to confirm with someone that has done the tank swap.

Old March 6th, 2015, 11:06 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
They look the same to me. As long as the two bolt holes in the front are close together and the rear ones are further apart, its probably the same.
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:04 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Not sure about figment really, but I might be able to get you a tank super cheap. Let me see if my buddy has thrown it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 7th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Not sure about figment really, but I might be able to get you a tank super cheap. Let me see if my buddy has thrown it out.
Sweet!

Old March 7th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Check the forward mounting bolts. If I remember correctly there is a difference in how they mount on the front. Plastic vs metal.
Old March 7th, 2015, 08:48 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
Check the forward mounting bolts. If I remember correctly there is a difference in how they mount on the front. Plastic vs metal.
Thanks. I"ve abandoned the idea of a plastic tank. It's a diesel vs another petrol tank now.

Old March 28th, 2015, 01:07 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Mark,
I'm actually replacing my deisel tank now so I'll try to take some pictures along the way.
Not going plastic, just standard issue aftermarket ROW tank from RN.
However, I did notice where the tanks tend to rust and it (of course) is a design flaw. Actually ,more of a manufacturing process flaw.
The two seam areas that are welded end up collecting debris.
First, the two halves of the tank are welded and there is excess metal sandwiched together after the weld, but the exposed area is not entirely closed and debris will get stuck in there.
Second (and this is where my tank is failing I think) is where the sending unit flange mounts to the tank. Same issue where the metal is sandwiched and not completely sealed.

I'm going to spray with Waxoyl once it's installed, but the first thing I did was apply two liberal coats of Rustoleum emanel with a brush over all areas of the tank and even tried to "fill" some of the seams with the paint hoping it cures and seals those small cavities.

I was thinking that with a deisel fuel tank, the only possible way this thing should be leaking is from the outside and the seams are the suspect areas.

I know this does not answer your initial question in the thread, but of all the fuel tank threads that I could have updated when running a search, this was among the most current and I think it's worth mentioning.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, conversion, fuel, fuel tank, nas, nas 110