NAS 110 Fuel Gauge Problem Solved - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 22nd, 2014, 11:32 PM
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55
NAS 110 Fuel Gauge Problem Solved

I recently had the fuel pump replaced in my 110 and when I got the truck back from the shop, the fuel gauge was reading 1/4 to 1/3 too low. When the tank was full, it was reading under 3/4 tank.

So I inspected the fuel level sensor wiring and its two connectors mating up to the chassis harness. This did not reveal any issues nor correct the problem. I then moved on to the fuel harness grounds, which are bundled with others and bolted to the left rear body, behind the speaker enclosure. It is a straight blade machine screw with a 8 mm nut on the underside.

I loosened up the bolt, brushed the terminals and body with a wire brush and tightened it all up again. The gauge now reads correctly.

See the Oct 1993 NAS 90/110 Workshop Manual Part 5 Section 86 Pages 25 and 39 for Chassis harness data and drawing. See Section 86 Page 71 for the Fuel Tank Level Indicator circuit diagram.

Dennis Yard
Land Rover Club of San Diego
1993 NAS D-110 #55 (GNUTRUK)
2004 Disco II (DSCO DOG)
Old September 8th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107
Same issue on my NAS 110.
Had to remove jump seat to get to the speaker, bolt is stainless.
was surprised at the amount of corrosion (galvanic ?) between the steel and aluminum.
Cleaned up, reassembled and shot with battery protector and spray paint.
Gauge increased its reading level from 3/4 to past full (fuel tank just filled).
With these trucks at 22 years old and with the different metals in play, that other grounds should be inspected? (Hopefully a bit easier to access)

Old September 9th, 2014, 10:29 AM
93 110 NAS
Oh perfect. I have a similar issue as it never reaches full and sometimes bounces way down to between empty and half even though its got 7 or 8 gallons in it. This will help me chase it down and fix.

Old September 9th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Fred Lobster
Pete Gerbine, III
1993 110 (#451)
Thanks for the lead!! I've been battling the fuel gauge issue since I got the 110. I had noticed on a few occasions, with the truck running and the headlights off, the left rear side marker light would be very dimly lit. I tackled the mess of wires where the speaker once was....and traced the ground from the marker light, as well as the sender and fuel pump...looks like they all tied together...cleaned them all up and so far it is working! Also, the side marker light is off, as it should be, when the lights are off.

Thanks again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

110, fuel, nas, nas 110