Defender Source Forum banner

NAS 110 - Dash Gauge Bulbs - Green

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  JohnK 
#1 ·
I removed the instrument panel today to uninstall the previous owner's alarm system. In the process I discovered that several of the gauges (tachometer, temp, and spedometer) had broken bulb fittings. The result is that several of the GREEN inserts are broken and floating around inside of the gauges. The last person in there got overzelous with duct tape to repair the situation. So, I removed all the green plastic bits and tape from the various gauges, but now I am left with clear bulbs that have to be stratigically taped in place to illuminate the gauge. The result is still white light within the gauge...

This raises a few questions:

1.) Can the existing gauge be fitted with a new reflective green insert (part number?)?

2.) If not, what is the best method for turning a plain white light source back into green -- Source a green bulb replacement from aftermarket source? Attach a green condom/rubber sleeve over the bulb (part number ???)? Use green nail polish? Other?

BONUS QUESTION:

3.) Is there a resonable way to increase the illumination of the gauges through the use of larger Watt bulbs or LEDs or upgrading the wiring?

See less See more
#2 ·
I am pretty sure the clock, batt gauge, and oil gauge all use green condoms. I have taken the dash apart more times than I would like and I replaced the clock bulb. It had the green condom. I ordered the bulb online and reused the condom (sounds gross). The defrosters and emergency blinkers use the little bulbs that are pre colored. Do a search and you will see there is a write up on replacing all the bulbs with led.

The stock set up blows.

#3 ·
Of the gauges i inspected today, only the RPM used a condom (i did not inspect the gauges in the AC fascia). All other gauges have an green reflective insert in the back of the gauge body -- the bulb holder threads into the green reflector for a tight fit. Now that the reflectors are shattered the hole in the back of the gauge is too large and the bulb sits loosely unless taped. If I find the condoms i can always tape things in place. But i would prefer to replace the green reflective insert in the gauges so that no tape is necessary.

Anyone know if the inserts are available?

I will look for the LED writeup.

Gracias.

#6 ·
I had the light holder bust off of my speedo as well, and never could figure out how to fix it without taking the whole gauge apart. Ended up being a moot point anyway when the gauge died and got replaced with an Autometer.

-Hans

#7 ·
Thanks guys, I dont mind taking the gauge apart to fix it properly (if this is possible). But i'll first need to locate the green reflective inserts. This sounds like a near impossibility considering the age of the vehicle. Perhaps ECR has the answer.

Doug, I'll check with autozone to see if they have the condoms.

Anyone here change to green LED bulbs? Any drawbacks?

Thanks.

Follow-up Post:

Found Stmpede's post in an alternate thread regarding the LEDs:

The Fuel, Temp & Speedo Gauges use the T13-G6. (Speedo uses 2)

The Tach Uses a BA9S-G4.

The Defroster, Hazard & Heated Windscreen use 1 74-G & 1 74-R each.

I don't remember if your switches are the same style, or what they control though. Also, the 110 clock is entirely different, so I am not sure if the bulb would be the same, but I doubt it.

I know you don't have the heated windscreen, and I think you have a rear wiper switch instead, but I think the switch itself is different too, so I don't know if the bulbs will be the same. I am fairly certain of the instrument bulbs though.

Has anyone else made the transition to LEDs in their 110? Opinions
Any drawbacks to switching over?
Is the green light the same hue as the factory bulbs?

#8 ·
Bringing this back.
So I ordered the LEDs above To install do you remove the entire holder and the green inserts in the gauges?
Otherwise the 6 led light above is too wide to install in the "tubes" that attach to the gauges which hold the bulbs
(my week for dumb questions)

#10 · (Edited)
well, I dunno, just wanted to add that one of my bulb holders broke off too. I have a spare speedometer and was going to use that. I've tried taking one apart and it is a right bitch but it does seem doable, haven't given up yet on that. I would go to your FLAPS and look at the different bulb holders available in their help section. BTW my bulb holder had been glued in by a PO not a real great repair IMO

rlynch356 said:
bueler....

anyone?

#11 ·
The green is just slightly different. I think it is slightly darker (in color not illumination) than the factory. I am really happy with the way that it turned out.

In order to fit the bulbs, I took a large drill bit and just slightly opened up the tubes. There are actually flat spots inside the tube that you have to take off for the bulbs to slide in properly. The way I did it was to use a large metric bit (I think it was just slightly larger than 1/2") and held the tube with a pair of pliers. When you use the pliers just squeeze slightly to press the tube sides against the bit and open it up. I then turned it in the pliers a couple times so that I wasn't making the hole egg shaped and repeated.

Finally, when installing the bulb into the tube, I rolled an o-ring around the bulb socket before inserting it. This helps to hold it in place and to prevent light from escaping the housing.

#15 ·
Okay

I put my old speedometer back in last night. The black tube broke off and half of the green lens is floating around inside the speedo. So I was left with a 1/2" hole in the metal body of the unit. I put a 10 cent rubber grommet from the hardware store in the hole and then shoved the lamp holder into the hole where it is held in by the grommet. I used a green bulb from my FLAPS that provides about the correct color. If the lower of the two lights wasn't glued in I would probably do that one too as it is now much brighter than it was before. Having the lamp all the way at the end of a black tube is a sure way to cut down on the amount of light you get out of it. Take it from a lighting guy...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.