Defender Source Forum banner

NAS 110 4.6 Cooling

Tags
110 nas nas 110
2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  rover4x4 
#1 ·
I recently updated my tired 3.9 to a new 4.6. Running around town and at idle, the temp is fine (never over 200). However, on long climbs at freeway speeds, I creep up into the 220-230 range and it's making me a bit nervous, so I'd like to beef up the cooling system. I thought I'd post and see what others have done.

I retained the V-Belt setup and still have a 1.4 T-case (so I'm running about 3k RPM at freeway speeds). The radiator seems to be working OK. I've replaced the temp gauge with a VDO and VDO sender. I've confirmed it's readings. My two front electric fans are working fine and run continuously when the temp is >205.

I figure I've got three areas of enhancement: radiator, fan, cowling.

My fan is the original 7-blade. Does anybody know which 11-blade part is a bolt on? I've found two 11-blade part numbers: ETC1275 and ERR3439. The blade on my 97 D-90 is 11 and the cowling (ESR3226/ESR2847) looks a bit better designed. Anybody know if that'll bolt on (doesn't looks like it)?

#2 ·
I can't help with the fan question but when I installed the 4.6 in my 110, I used an after-market external oil cooler instead if the one built into the radiator. I think it really helps to get that extra heat out of the radiator. I have no temp. problems at all even when towing heavy loads.

#4 ·
Update: I just *thought* the radiator was OK. I pulled it anyway and sent it to the radiator shop. 2/3 plugged! It's definitely better so far. Real test will be some hills at speed (i.e. my drive home).

Rod, Pendy's fixed flex fan was definitely in the back of my mind. You're a mind reader. I may take you up on that, but let me get some more miles on it first; especially with the "new" radiator. Thanks for the offer!

Plugging in a 4.2 ROM this weekend.

Mike, thanks for the data point. It's good to know that the stock cooling system is capable. Are you still running a 1.4 Tcase?

#9 ·
I figured as much. ;)

------ Follow up post added October 7th, 2010 06:37 PM ------

Ride home was uneventful. A shade over 200 running 75mph up 1300' to home. Radiator, case closed.

She runs like a scalded dawg! Sure was nice not downshifting out of 5th for a change.

With a new 4.6, ported and polished heads, a new R380 and rebuilt LT230, she's all new again at 148k. :)

Gotta try the 4.2 ROM this weekend. You running one Rod? If not, I've got extras you can have.

#18 ·
Yah, that's what I'm thinkin as well. Still looking at the manifolds and perhaps a 4 row radiator rebuild. But as she's running cooler now, that can wait until next summer. Done spending money (for now, of course :)). Thanks Mark!

------ Follow up post added October 8th, 2010 01:37 PM ------

I'm running a 1.2 t-case. The 4.6 has so much torque that I am very happy with the combo, even when towing a tractor and bush-hog...but then again I only deal with the Blue Ridge Mtns where I am.
Good to know. Interesting side note: I've had my 110 for about 5 years and always assumed it was a 1.4. When Rob rebuilt it, I found out it was a later LT230 and a 1.2! He put it back right, of course. A 3.9 and a 1.2. No wonder I couldn't get out of my own way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.