Mystery Relay Sound - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 29th, 2011, 11:14 PM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

Mystery Relay Sound

Oh mighty defender gurus...

So I fire up the Landy yesterday and almost immediately, I hear a clicking sound like a relay flipping - similar to a turn signal left on. I check, nothing left on. I try the indicators and they make the usual clicking sound over the top of this mystery noise. The indicators are a slightly faster click-speed than the mystery noise. Tried the hazards - nope, not that either. Then I turn off the engine and remove the key. Lights are off. The mystery click continues. The noise sounds like its coming from behind the speedo dials, which I removed recently to replace the turn signal switch.

As I'm weighing up the possibilities between Poltergeist or Time-Bomb, I fire up the landy again, and as soon as I turn on the ignition, clicking stops.

Hasn't happened again for several days.

Anyone care to speculate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2011, 08:00 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettm View Post
Oh mighty defender gurus...

So I fire up the Landy yesterday and almost immediately, I hear a clicking sound like a relay flipping - similar to a turn signal left on. I check, nothing left on. I try the indicators and they make the usual clicking sound over the top of this mystery noise. The indicators are a slightly faster click-speed than the mystery noise. Tried the hazards - nope, not that either. Then I turn off the engine and remove the key. Lights are off. The mystery click continues. The noise sounds like its coming from behind the speedo dials, which I removed recently to replace the turn signal switch.

As I'm weighing up the possibilities between Poltergeist or Time-Bomb, I fire up the landy again, and as soon as I turn on the ignition, clicking stops.

Hasn't happened again for several days.

Anyone care to speculate?
My 97 Wagon did that periodically. It never did it long enough for me to track down what it was and it never changed how the car ran or drove. I've been waiting for a 90 to come into the shop with that issue so I could locate the issue, but its never come up again.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Mine does this when I have the wipers on and use the turn signal....doesn't always happen and the clicking seems to come from behind the speedo. If I turn off the truck and re-start it stops. It never bothers me enough or does it enough for me to look for it. I think it is coming from a green box back there which I believe might be something to do with an alarm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2011, 10:46 AM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

alarm is an interesting theory - there is an aftermarket clifford alarm installed that is somehow connected to the ignition switch.

glad it's no cause for concern. if it starts to happen regularly i'll try and troubleshoot and report back.
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
I have the same issue on the 110 and I am having some of the electricals cleaned up. I'll let you know if he discovers the cause.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
relay