Mystery of the disappearing clutch fluid - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Question Mystery of the disappearing clutch fluid

I travel a lot and as such only get to take the 90 out of the garage about once every 6 weeks. Every single time for the last 6 months I hop in and have no clutch. I pop the hood and look in the clutch fluid reservoir and it's bone dry. I add a bunch of fluid and bleed it and all's good for the weekend.

The weird part is there's never a puddle on the floor of the garage. No drips anywhere. Nothing. It's just gone. The drain plug isn't in the bell housing so it's not in there. I'm at a loss. I can fill and bleed the system in about 3 minutes now from all the practice. It's getting old.

Any ideas?
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Overland90
Chris
95/D90 #169; Aston Martin

Registry
Is it puddling under your floor mats?

Sounds like it's time to replace the clutch cylinder...I changed mine at 40,000 miles.
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overland90
Is it puddling under your floor mats?
It's not there either. It's just gone. It's eaten like 3 pints over the last few months. I replaced the master cylinder in April and the slave last year. I'll keep looking.
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2009, 04:16 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
is it leaking into the bell housing and dripping somewhere on the trans making it look like a trans leak?
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
is it leaking into the bell housing and dripping somewhere on the trans making it look like a trans leak?
Surprisingly, the only leak I have is a small PS leak. That's too far from the clutch slave to be it. Once it warms back up later this week I'll start really digging around. There's gotta be a huge ass pool of brake fluid somewhere in there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch