Defender Source Forum banner

Mystery electrical part from 98 D-90 300 TDI

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  lrna04 
#1 ·
I need help identifying a mystery part, reference the attached pictures. This was provided as part of the electrical harness from a 1998 RHD D90 from the UK. This is one small part of a large project I am just finishing up. I have replaced my entire drive line on my 94 NAS D90 3.9 / Lt-77 with a 300 TDI / R380. This included everything from the radiator to drive shafts, the only remaining electrical parts are my rear chassis harness and gage panel (minus the temp gage).
I have resolved many ground and gage issues over the last few weeks and this is the only remaining mystery part. The person whom removed the parts is currently looking for a photo to show its previous location and give a clue to it function but I am eager to get this ID. You see, the harness and major parts were disassembled in the US and shipped to me hence I really don’t have much to go on. I cannot find a picture in any of my manuals and part number / web searches come up blank.
Any suggestions are appreciated

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
From LR4X4 forum:

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
It appears that there are a few different methods LR used for the dim-dip circuit. Mine apparently doesn't use a relay, but diverts the live light feed through a large 1 ohm resistor onto the dipped headlight feed when the sidelight position is selected. The reason I couldn't find the resistor is that it was tucked away between the inner and outer wing on the drivers side. I had to remove the blank wing top vent panel to get to the fixing which was an M6 nut, bend my arm around between the inner and outer wing and wthdraw the unit. Thanks to Ralph for pointing me in the right direction .
The fault was obvious, one of the wires had become detached from the end of the resistor. This is non repairable because of fused ceramic end plugs, but a new LR part No. XBL10003 is about £20.
I am going to attempt to post a couple of pics to show the item in question as it may be of use in the future.
The view through the wingtop shows a couple of holes toward the back of the inner wing and behind this is where the unit was hidden.
It's for Euro spec dip beams. In this case for 24V circuitry, probably Military.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.