My "where does this wire go" thread - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 17th, 2013, 08:49 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

My "where does this wire go" thread

I'm in the process of replacing my bulkhead. I've hooked up the wiring loom on the engine side, but I'm finding an alarming number of wires that are cracked and broken and I don't really know where they're supposed to go. Tonight's question is about the two wires coming out of the transmission. There's a red/green one and a light/dark green one.

As you can maybe see in the photos, the red/green wire is connected to a blue/black wire that may or may not be stock. That wire, I believe, was connected to a blue/black wire in the wiring harness.

I was just fixing that when I noticed that the light/dark green wire isn't actually connected to anything either. Well, it's connected to a black wire, but the black wire isn't connected to anything. I THINK it maybe is supposed to be connected to what appears to be an earth connection right above it. If you look at one of the photos below, you can see I've taken my finger and pointed to where I think it might connect. Does this make sense? Does anyone know where this is supposed to go?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5057_2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	80148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5060_2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	80149  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2013, 09:24 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Looks like the diff lock warning light switch. Also looks like you will be corroded out of low range if you don't move the lever around soon.

-Jeff
Yeah, the diff lock should be a black w/blue wire and a black wire, if I'm reading it right.

Another option might be backing up lights, looks like those should be green w/ brown wire and a green wire.... maybe.
Old September 17th, 2013, 10:09 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Thank you for the responses. I can't see anything useful on my list of British wiring colours, or my wiring diagram. I must be looking at an incomplete diagram as I don't have either the diff lock or reverse light wiring on this one.

I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that it's the reverse wiring, as there are two green (again, probably not stock) wires coming out of the back of the transfer case above where I took these photos. Regardless of what these wires are for, what I really don't know is where that broken stub of a wire is supposed to go. It seems odd that a light/dark green wire would be used as a ground. Maybe I should clean up that potential connection tomorrow and see if it's a ground, since it sure looks like it right now.

Speaking of cleaning up, the gunk you see everwhere is sand from me sandblasting portions of the chassis. Things aren't as corroded as they look, but sand on top of Rust Check sure makes a mess.

Thanks,
- Andrew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2013, 10:23 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

I'm bumping up my thread in the hopes that someone can help me out with this transfer case wire. I've been reading that it's a ground wire that's part of the switch on older vehicles like mine, which lends credence to the idea that it hooks up to the outside of the transfer case.

For my next question, even though my first one is still open, I have an extra wire in the loom coming from my alternator. The loom has 4 wires in it. Three are attached to the alternator, and the fourth one is just dangling. It has a female spade connector loose on the alternator side, and on the other side of the engine block where it comes out, it's just broken off. The loom contains 2 larger brown wires, one yellow/brown wire, and this thinner stray brown wire.

I don't know if this wire was just an "extra" one in the loom, or if it's supposed to go somewhere. Ideas?

Thanks again,
- Andrew.

P.S. I apologize for the quality of the video. I'm not sure what's going on with my phone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5070.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	80274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5080.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	80275  

Name:	IMG_5082.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	80276  
Attached Files
There was an error processing this video...
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:31 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Video

Trying video again...
Attached Files
There was an error processing this video...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions