My turn for a "no Start" thread.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

My turn for a "no Start" thread....

I'm stumped here, I've got a no-start going on now here.

I've got spark. Fuel pump is running, and fuel comes out the filter. Starter spins it all nice and good.
No trouble codes at all. coil tested ok.

But she won't kick off and run. When it originally died, it acted like fuel starvation.

I also swapped around the fuel injection relays, problem didn't change at all. Fuses all appear good.
What's next to check?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Do you have spark at the plugs or just at the coil? Are you getting pulses at the fuel injectors?
Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:59 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I checked for spark at the plugs, so I know it's getting that far.

Havent figured out yet how to test if the injectors are getting a pulse or not.

-Hans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Just disconnect one and put a multimeter on it...thats the easiest way.
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:06 AM
JBfoot
Joe Barefoot
'94 D90, '07 D110, '08 LR2, '09 D90

Try a computer reset.
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Looks like it's not a fuel problem. Plus are all wet, multimeter goes bonkers when testing at the injector lead, and dribbling some fuel down the trumpets didn't do anything either.

Starting to suspect weak spark again.

Old May 4th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Joeplumbo
Joe PLumbo
1993 110

Hello,
Had a similar problem...turned out to be a bad rotor...was LR genuine but aftermarket was the cure.

Best Regards,

Joe P
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:35 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Looks like it's not a fuel problem. Plus are all wet, multimeter goes bonkers when testing at the injector lead, and dribbling some fuel down the trumpets didn't do anything either.

Starting to suspect weak spark again.
Hey Hans,
I am of no help with the no start situation, but I was wondering if I could check out your rollbar/w-bar setup on your truck, if its the one i've seen around town, I think it is a SW. I'm in Bohemia, and I ride my bike through Islip all the time, I see your truck all the time. I'd be happy to lend you a hand while I was there, granted an unskilled hand, but I could turn the key, or hold a wrench.
Sorry to hijack
Thanks,
Tom
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Tom;

That's no problem at all if you want to take a look at it. Mine was originally a soft top, but looks to have been converted properly to the SW setup and has the W-bar and everything in it. Just don't mind the mess, every time I try to fix up something cosmetic..... something mechanical breaks. I also took the roof rack off a couple weeks ago too.

I work in Bohemia, live in Islip. You been seeing it at work, at home, or on the road?

-Hans

Old May 4th, 2008, 11:36 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Hans, did you have any problems leading up to the no-start?
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Whoops, thought I had that part in here. Guess when I redid the original post I took it out.

When the problem originally came up, I had driven home from work just fine. Went in the house, grabbed a book to bring to the library, and off I went. Acted a bit odd leaving the driveway, but didn't pay much attention to it. I get to the library (1/2 mile or so away), and it kept wanting to stall at idle. Had to restart it a few times, and keep the RPM up to keep it running. I limped it home, and it hasn't started since.

I did find that little silver can attached to the coil was disconnected, but reconnecting didn't help. I'm still not really sure what that thing is.

-Hans

Old May 5th, 2008, 01:56 AM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Mine did some similar things last year, but I was always able to eventually get it restarted just by waiting for it to cool down enough. But I never had a cold start problem until I blew my coil so I think the source of your no-start problem could be different than mine. Nonetheless what I did was install the ignition module relocation kit and reset the base idle. I also replaced the fuel injection & ECU relays. All that seemed to cure my ills but I don't know which of those things was the ultimate cure. I have since swapped out the relocation kit for a Mallory Unilite and I have the kit for sale if you think that the ignition module is your problem.

I'm going to throw out a few other guesses that come to mind. Throttle position sensor, cap/rotor, coil, fuel filter, ECU.

A couple more questions: When you went into the house, did you live the truck running, on but not running, or turn it off altogether? Was your coil ever too hot to touch?
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

No, I didn't leave it running while I went into the house. I was probably home for about 5 minutes. The coil hadn't seemed hot at any point, and no obvious heat damage.

I have a GM HEI module I am going to swap in tomorrow to see if that helps. Coil tested ok with an ohmeter

I pulled off the output for the fuel filter, and it's not blocked. I swapped the relays around, and the problem didn't change. Heck, I dribbled some gas down the trumpets, and not a puff from it. So it's got to be an ignition issue.

-Hans

Old May 5th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Module swapped. No change, though I did get a couple spots where it was trying to fire off.

-Hans

Old May 5th, 2008, 06:15 PM
JBfoot
Joe Barefoot
'94 D90, '07 D110, '08 LR2, '09 D90

Hans,
You are much more experienced than me with these beasts, so take this with a grain of salt...the last time I was pulling my hair out with a "no start" problem out of the blue, I reset the computer and haven't looked back. If you haven't done that yet, humor me.
Good luck!
Joe B
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I did try the computer reset already, no go on that one either :-(

Old May 6th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

This doesn't make sense, you have fuel and spark? Are you sure you have enough fuel? Maybe the pump is dying. Stick a gauge on it and check the pressure.
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I guess that's possible. I may have both fuel and spark, but one of the two I don't have enough of. Wierd as wierd. I'm off to go buy some starter fluid, see if spraying it in gets anything to fire off.

-Hans

Follow-up Post:

And if a jolt of starting fluid down all 8 trumpets doesn't get it to do anything..... it ain't fuel.

Old May 6th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

New coil, and it's showing signs of life. I may have the timing 180 off though..... but it's sputtering again finally. Flooded as a mofo, so I pulled most of the plus and the upper plenum, let it air out overnight, and try again in the morning.

-Hans

Old May 7th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

and I got a few sputters, then back to dead again. I can only imagine how much fuel is in the cats and oil at this point.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start