My turn for a "no Start" thread.... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Service manual is basically no help here either. It keeps referring to "See ETM A1"

What the hell is ETM A1, and where do I find it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Still no luck here, blech.

Rigged up an LED to test the injectors, and they are firing. I'm getting spark. Tried tricking the coolant sensor to keep it in a proper running temperature range. Starting to suspect the fuel pump, but having a beast of a time getting the right fittings together to test the pressure.

-Hans

Old May 14th, 2008, 05:16 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Are the plugs consistantly fowled? That is, have you replaced them only to find them fowled again?

While this is proabably left field, and a bit beyond my ken, have you considered your PCV system? Perhaps your PCV is crammed with particulates and thus, allowing the engine to run too rich, flooding the system and fowling the plugs.

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Plugs, up until recently, have been looking normal whenever I pull them. Even now, they aren't carbon fouled at all, but just look damp.

I also got a pressure gauge onto the fuel pump finally, and it's pushing 50psi no problem. Clamped down on the return line of the regulator to make sure the rail was getting enough of that pressure, and still no good.

Follow-up Post:

Well, I THINK I found it. It's always the fairly new parts, isn't it? I went back to check the spark again, and while I had it earlier I didn't anymore. Went back and started all the ignition tests again. Spark from the coil to the block, yes! Really strong too. Spark from the plug wire to the block? Not anymore! Pulled the cap, did the coil wire over the rotor test, and she's sparkin away like she's NOT supposed to. Guess the rotor was slowly failing on me, and is just fried now. Grab a new one tomorrow and see how she goes.

-Hans

Old May 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

And she runs now. Must have been flooded all to hell too. Didn't fire off when I first put the new rotor in, but I let it sit a week and it fired up right away when I got back. She's pretty sluggish right now, and I get some burbling out of the exhaust when I let off the throttle, but it's progress. I just need to let it run for about an hour I think, to burn all that extra fuel out of the cats. One way or another though, the hard part is done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start