My turbo is dead :( - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 21st, 2010, 09:54 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
My turbo is dead :(

Was heading home on Sunday on the interstate, when I suddenly lost power on rolling hills, doing 65 through rolling hills. there was a wizzing sound, and I thought my clutch might have given out and was slipping. I could still move with the wizzing sound, but much slower. I pulled over and tried some back and forth, and then put the xnfr out and back in just in case it was popping out of gear...no change.

got back on the interestate and starting going up hill a bit flooring it to confirm it was a problem. could only do 50mph at full speed, then in my rear view mirror I started seeing blue-grey smoke billowing out of the exhaust, smoking out all lanes. Pulled over and called AAA.

At a diesel shop now. They confirmed turbo. Oil through all IC lines. I dont' know how bad it is yet. They have a turbo shop they work with that will look and see if it is rebuildable. maybe, if they can get parts for the TGV turbo. I'm completely deadline right now, and a new turbo is $1500 from M&D. I'm guessing it was the internal oil seal. There was no explosion, so I'm hoping the internals and bearings are all still ok. Only 50k on this turbo.

If this shop can't rebuild this turbo, does anybody know a shop elsewhere in the country that can?

Sucks to be me. No MAR for me this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2010, 10:11 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Very sorry to hear that Mark. 50k seems very odd?
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:31 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
damn-was looking forward to finally meeting you. I think you should come even without the 110.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2010, 12:56 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Sorry to hear man.
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:34 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I doubt the turbo is the problem

They can be bought in the states.

Maybe a split intercooler hose

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:51 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
I doubt the turbo is the problem

They can be bought in the states.

Maybe a split intercooler hose
Thanks for chiming in Jim. My diesel shop pulled the hoses and the IC and hoses were filled with oil. They sent the turbo out for evaluation. I don't know what if anything I did to blow the seals, but my biggest regret is not taking you up on your offer to install an EGT gauge while you were installing the engine. Anyway, they are putting a bung in the manifold for me while the turbo is off.

Thanks to the EVO thread for identifying the turbo model number. still need to verify it matches mine but now I have something to search for locally.
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:12 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Did you always idle the vehicle for a few minutes after coming off the highway before turning it off so that the turbo would have oil-flow and time to cool down? 50K seems low under any circumstances other than oil starvation, checking oil pressure might be a good step when fitting the new/rebuilt unit.

AFAIK EGT is unlikely to be at fault, the first thing to go is the piston crown when you're running too high.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

can you report back what the difference in drivability is w/o the turbo? just curious

sorry to hear about that.
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
can you report back what the difference in drivability is w/o the turbo? just curious

sorry to hear about that.
As mentioned, think of a slipping clutch. foot on floor and half the speed. flooring it got me to 50mph. aka sucks.

I have never come straight off the freeway or high speed to a full stop and shut down without a few moments of idle.
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:12 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I drove a Penske truck across Kansas one time after the turbo went out, symptoms like you describe (which makes sense for what is effectively and NA diesel) and fuel consumption went through the roof.

Old September 21st, 2010, 04:25 PM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

Exact description of when my turbo went on my Td5 in 2005...sorry to hear that dude...pricy fawkers they are...
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old September 21st, 2010, 04:30 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Mark, did you mess with your boost and fuel at all?
I'm trying to reconcile the failure at 50k thing...
Old September 21st, 2010, 04:59 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am with Pendy, anyhow a little oil in the IC charge piping is normal, there is no way they were "filled" with oil. It kinda sucks you didnt have an EGT on the truck, did you have a boost gauge? If only you hadn't gone straight to a diesel shop, at this point they can tell you anything and get away with it. I popped an IC hose clamp on my cummins once hauling a truck in SC and lost a LOT of power, lots of smoke, etc. I have seen split hoses and clogged filters on LR turbo diesels cause symptoms a lot like you described too.
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:09 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
I am with Pendy, anyhow a little oil in the IC charge piping is normal, there is no way they were "filled" with oil. It kinda sucks you didnt have an EGT on the truck, did you have a boost gauge? If only you hadn't gone straight to a diesel shop, at this point they can tell you anything and get away with it. I popped an IC hose clamp on my cummins once hauling a truck in SC and lost a LOT of power, lots of smoke, etc. I have seen split hoses and clogged filters on LR turbo diesels cause symptoms a lot like you described too.
I have not touched fuel or boost. No intentions to until I get my installed but not hooked up egt and boost gauges in place (based on recommendations of this forum). I was deliberating on how to tap my manifold, since the 2.8 manifold does not come with any convenient place to install a probe like the 300 tdi does.

anyway, this shop is trusted as the owners are good friends of my good friend, who is a Colonel in the national guard and a charlotte police officer. we'll see what they say. they didn't say the IC was "filled" with oil, but they did see plenty of oil pre-removal through the pipes. I'll post my findings for posterity.
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:37 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

oil in the hoses can be related with engine breather connected with air intake.
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:42 PM
shamptonrover
jeffrey scannelli
1998 110tdi

we have a warehouse in PA that may have the turbo send me any part numbers you have, also make sure whoever does this job for you removes the intercooler and sends it out to a radiator shop and gets it cleaned out!
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:08 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamptonrover View Post
we have a warehouse in PA that may have the turbo send me any part numbers you have, also make sure whoever does this job for you removes the intercooler and sends it out to a radiator shop and gets it cleaned out!
agreed. they are doing that. Per Keith's EVO thread, the model number should be Garrett GT2256V. I need to confirm with the shop, as I haven't seen the turbo off before to confirm what's stamped on it.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:22 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
agreed. they are doing that. Per Keith's EVO thread, the model number should be Garrett GT2256V. I need to confirm with the shop, as I haven't seen the turbo off before to confirm what's stamped on it.
update: it's official. the turbo blew up internally.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
crobinson
Chris Robinson
97' D1

I just got mine back today from the turbo shop for a rebuild. Garrett T250. Looks great just got to rotate the waste gauge around. $334 before tax
Pendy referred this guy.

Jeff Amann
Turbo Auto
4403 Charlotte Ave.
Nashville, TN 37209
615-383-6242
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	31409   Click image for larger version

Name:	002 - Copy.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	31410  

Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:53 PM
DD90
DD
94 D90

That turbo is nice bling!

Can someone explain why there would be oil in the IC as a result of the turbo failing??

Trying to understand.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions