My truck is stalling and I looked at the usuals - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:15 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

My truck is stalling and I looked at the usuals

So my truck is stalling and I am not sure what to make of it. Here is what has been done recently.

1. New Battery
2. Replaced the stepper and cleaned the throttle body about a year ago, stepper again last night.
3. I think I installed two new relays for the fuel pump. (might have been just one)
4. New fuel pump about a year ago.
5. New plugs and wires about 6 months but not a new dist cap and coil
6. flipped the old coil to help with the connection.

After I did the coil flip/wires plugs my truck ran better than it had run in years for about 2 months.

This is what it is now doing. Under load it drives great. Recently during normal idle it would idle way high. From what I recall that was when it was cool. This morning I was driving to work, and after the truck had been running for about three minutes it would drop to about 5K rpm's after being putting the clutch in. The after being on the highway at 70mph for roughly 5 minutes it died on me at the next light. Again started right up and drove fine when the light went green. Any help working from cheapest part to clean/replace to the most expensive would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:25 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Thinking you mean drop to 500 rpm.

Check to see if the rubber hose between the MAF and the intake manifold is cracked and letting air slip in. It could be in contact with the streering shft u-joint. Best to remove to inspect all of it.
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:29 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

You are exactly right. I meant 500 rpm's. Sorry. One item of note, I did notice the gasket on my stepper motor was torn last night when cleaning it.

What/where is the MAF if you don't mind me asking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:43 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
What/where is the MAF if you don't mind me asking?
Mass Air Flow sensor is the first device with wires attached to it that is bolted to the box that holds the air filter. Search for leaks in the large diameter rubber hose to the right of this picture. It will be in the back left corner of the engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0881.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	54106  
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:17 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

So I think I found my MAF. It is sitting directly above my Throttle body right?

This is my Air Filter,

This is my Coil which is flipped and has nothing to do with Airflow right?

As far as a flame trap. I have absolutely no idea where that is and have not even heard of it.

If it is not obvious I am a newb at working on this truck myself but I am enjoying the learning process. I am working my way onto a desert racing team so learning this stuff is important to me. Thanks for the help guys.
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:40 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I think I am aware of this flame trap. I will look into that tonight. I did check the very small hose that comes out of the intake manifold and to the thing on the dist. It appears to be a vacuums hose and it was shot. I replaced it so I will see what happens on the drive home.
Old July 11th, 2012, 06:32 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Like I said I changed out the hose prior to driving home tonight and my truck went back to idling a little high but was not dying instantly everytime I put the clutch in. I am not willing to go so far as to suggest its fixed though so I will keep at it. A guy at the import parts store suggested pouring carb clearer on all vacuum hoses and see if the idle changes. Obviously if it does change then viola.
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:19 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Looks like a poor connection from the air intake hoe at the maf. I replaced that fiberhose years ago.
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:20 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM
Like I said I changed out the hose prior to driving home tonight and my truck went back to idling a little high but was not dying instantly everytime I put the clutch in. I am not willing to go so far as to suggest its fixed though so I will keep at it. A guy at the import parts store suggested pouring carb clearer on all vacuum hoses and see if the idle changes. Obviously if it does change then viola.
Yeah ... That's a good way to detect a leak that's hard to see.

Has it thrown a code?

Check engine light?

Is your CEL bulb working?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:02 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

The truck is not throwing any codes. It is actually driving better than it has in a long time. Drive it in this morning and the idle is high at times but it is driving better than it has in a long time.
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:36 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Great to hear it is running better. When was the last time the dizzy advance was checked/set?
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:19 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I don't know what the dizzy advance is at all. Walk me though that if possible.

Update on the truck. It died on me this morning. I sprayed carb cleaning on all hoses that look like vacuum hoses today and nothing changed in the idle. Again it runs fine when it is driving and it starts and idles great. It is just when coming off the gas that it either runs high or dies.

Here are a few pic for my or anyone else's help.

The silver tube making a T in the second pic. think that is the flame trap that has not been cleaned.
The very small hose coming out of the top of the engine manifold in the last pic is the hose I replaced when it ran ok for a couple of days.
The first pic shows a hose coming out of the back of the intake on top of the engine that is right behind the stepper. Have no idea what that does.
The third pic is of my air filter which has probably not been changed in about 5 years.
The fourth pic is of the little unit right by my distributer cap that has a vacuum hose attached to it. This is the small hose recently replaced.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	54200   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0887.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	54201  

Name:	IMG_0888.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	54202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	54203  

Name:	IMG_0890.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	54204  
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:04 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Note the hose that has slipped from the intake manifold in picture 5 of 5. Start there. BTW - this is the same hose that I was mentioning could have a leak in it earlier. The PO of my truck spent a year on a similar issue. Question - can you pull 3,500 to 4,000 rpm under load? Also try setting the distributer (aka dizzy) at 7 degrees BTDC with that new vacuum advance hose off.
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:53 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
it is driving better than it has in a long time.
thats when I start to panic!!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:36 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Sounds like another bad VSS... does it seem to die when you slow to a stop (like a light) when you've been moving pretty quickly? What is your speedo like? Jumpy?

Easy fix if that's that's the issue.
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:09 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Few quick thoughts
Downshift- When I replaced the plugs and cables a (few months ago) I did not touch the dizzy. It does drive great under load and can easily pull 3500 to 4000. I have no idea what degree the dizzy is at. How does one go about setting the degrees at 7.

Sherpamike. What is the VSS and where is it? You might be right. It will idle fine when it is started. If I am driving it like normal, and I drop the gas, and hit the clutch for a stop light it will immediately die. I throw it in second and it will essentially jump start. In a concern of a brake booster I also checked to make sure it would die if I did not hit the brake. Same deal dropping it in neutral and hitting letting it roll. When it does die it starts right back up and idles fine until I start driving again.
Old July 14th, 2012, 05:46 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Another quick update. I did some work on the truck yesterday, basic cleaning and such and it actually was hitting 9K at idle better but not perfect so that was nice. I did also pull some stuff this afternoon and did some working on stuff. Anyway I wound up pulling the air filter, something I think that has not been done, maybe since I have owned the truck (10 years). I think about 1/4 inch of gook was on the cover that unscrews to pull the filter. It is a K&N so I wound up getting a cleaning/oil kit. I have not run it yet as I am waiting for everything to dry out. I also pulled the flame trap. That was pretty loose at the valve cover. I totally hosed that down and cleaned that out. it was pretty clogged. I cleaned that out good and tightened it up good. If there was ever and aha moment on this it is basically how messed up my filter was. Holly cow.
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:07 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Rick, the vehicle speed sensor is a box located on the driver-side frame (for '95s). Two cables are attached to opposite ends of the box- one goes to the transfer box and the other goes to the speedo. There is also a yellow(IIRC) wire that connects the ECU. My understanding is that the VSS helps the ECU determine correct idle... ie. keep the motor running when the vehicle comes to a stop.

Typically these sensors go out and the speedo will stop working too. You may also see a code 68 thrown with the CEL.
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:42 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Sherpamike. That's great info. I think my speedo is good but that may not be sayin much, as I may not be at complete failure. I certainly will look into it. Drove it some today and my idle is now running pretty high. Starting to get more consistant though.
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I am not trying to pump this or be an "all about me" kindof guy but I want to provide as much information about my issue so others that have the same issue now and later can be helped. I pour over threads and the only bummer sometimes is that those with problems will omit to include what it truly turned out to be.

That being said, I drove some yesterday and then was stuck in stop and go traffic on the freeway on the way to work today. The truck is running much better but I am not entirely sure it is fixed. Yesterday after really pouring over many of the details you guys recommended above, I turned on my truck and instead of trying t die, it would end up idling around 2400 rpm's. I turned it off quickly and it calmed down to about 1200. This morning I went to start it and it was revving high. I immediately turned it off and it dropped to about 1100 and drove like a champ in about 30 minutes of stop and go traffic. This is all after doing a very thorough cleaning of the air intake stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions