My tires have...tubes? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 11th, 2015, 02:10 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

My tires have...tubes?

Hey folks, new 1983 110 owner, imported from France. I had a slow leak in one tire and I bought a new one for my spare (which had a 32 year old, or close to it, original). I took it over to Mr. Tire, the worst place on earth, and I'm shown that in fact my tires have tubes! How quaint!

So the questions are A) should i keep the tubes and just find someplace that will patch 'em? B) figure out a grommet/adapter situation so that I can use normal tires on these rims or C) buy new wheels, which I don't REALLY feel like shelling out for just yet.

Pic of my wheels attached and edited a bit to be lighter for wheel identification:

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Also looks like you have an axle leak to.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 11th, 2015, 02:33 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

The hub cap popped off earlier that day so we sprayed some oil. It's all good now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You can go tubeless if you want. You just install tubeless valve stems. They come in the size to fit the tube holes.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 11th, 2015, 02:46 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Is there any reason to keep them?
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Not in my opinion. You may run into tire shops that won't do the work though as they are not tubeless rims. This is mainly due to the lack of the safety bead. The reality is that I've never found a rim with a bead that is harder to break than a stock Land Rover steel wheel.

Old September 11th, 2015, 03:17 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Great! this is all very helpful. So the inevitable question: does anyone know of the proper valve stems for this? All the ones i see seem to be for air pressure modification and internal tire pressure systems.
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:26 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

The rivets in the older rims would sometimes leak air so they used tubes. Over the years I've had no problem running tubeless after getting my riveted rims painted/powder coated.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:31 PM
javelinadave
-
-

An independent tire shop would be your best bet for a hassle free experience.
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPdotCOM View Post
Great! this is all very helpful. So the inevitable question: does anyone know of the proper valve stems for this? All the ones i see seem to be for air pressure modification and internal tire pressure systems.
You want the 5/8" diameter ones. Any auto parts store, a few bucks for a set. Even if you use a tire installer to supply them, everyone that goes off road should carry a spare or two along with a puncture repair kit.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=208

Old September 11th, 2015, 03:37 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Ditch the tubes and get a decent plug kit. Easier than messing around with pain-in-the-rear tubes.
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:33 PM
asif k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPdotCOM View Post
Hey folks, new 1983 110 owner, imported from France. I had a slow leak in one tire and I bought a new one for my spare (which had a 32 year old, or close to it, original). I took it over to Mr. Tire, the worst place on earth, and I'm shown that in fact my tires have tubes! How quaint!

So the questions are A) should i keep the tubes and just find someplace that will patch 'em? B) figure out a grommet/adapter situation so that I can use normal tires on these rims or C) buy new wheels, which I don't REALLY feel like shelling out for just yet.

Pic of my wheels attached and edited a bit to be lighter for wheel identification:

Thoughts?
This is quite typical of imported defenders, it should be no problem at all for the tire shop to fit tubeless tires, you don't need any 'adapters'. Take it to a used tire place.
Old September 11th, 2015, 08:43 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

You dont need anything. Tire place is just giving you shit. When you are changing out the tires just tell them to give you the tubes so your kid or whoever can use them in the winter. When I changed out my tires they were surprised to see them and asked if I wanted to keep them for myself. This was at a PepBoys place. All my rims are Series types and I have never had a problem changing from tube to tubeless.
Old September 11th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

So I just recently got new tires and I put them on a set of 1-ton/130 rims that I have no prior experience with. The tire shop is a friend of mine and he insisted that I used tubes. So I did. Should I not have? I went along with it because I had no prior experience with the 1-ton rims and I know they're not designed tubeless. Should I have insisted on running them tubeless even though they're not designed that way?
Old September 11th, 2015, 10:11 PM
cascade90
Mason Worley
'95/NAS D90 SW #59/500

Carl, I've run those rims without tubes for over 11 years and no problems at all. I've run em down to 14 psi bouncing around rocks and roots and no issues. If you ever get a hole. Plug it, air up, drop pressure to desired and move on.
Old September 11th, 2015, 10:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is up to you. IME, if you run off road at low pressures, tube failures become fairly common. It does not help that you can't buy quality tubes anymore.

Tubeless are a lot easy to field patch. If you do off road, carry a tubeless stem and at least you can stick it in without removing the tire and plug patch the puncture.

Old September 11th, 2015, 11:38 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I knew it. I should have insisted on tubeless. I just didn't have experience with them. The rims were in pretty bad shape even though I had them primed and painted so I was a little worried they would leak.
Old September 12th, 2015, 11:10 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

If you were worried about leaking just grab a rattle can of paint and paint over the pieces meet and rivets a few times and that should do it. Been running my tires for years with no problems and I didnt do anything to them. Even run them below 10psi just to get some flex and they just kept going.
Old September 13th, 2015, 07:29 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Awesome, thanks everybody! Back to Mr. Tire I go (unless any DC,MD,VA folks have a better option.)
Old September 16th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Those rims, as said above, do not have a safety flange to catch the bead at low air pressures or cornering forces. It is a safety feature. Lots of people run with out tubes and have never had a problem. But you are taking an additional risk by doing that. At least here in the Sates if you are in an accident and the insurance company finds out that you are not running tubes they may deny the claim. Just saying...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire, tires