My tires have...tubes? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 16th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
Those rims, as said above, do not have a safety flange to catch the bead at low air pressures or cornering forces. It is a safety feature. Lots of people run with out tubes and have never had a problem. But you are taking an additional risk by doing that. At least here in the Sates if you are in an accident and the insurance company finds out that you are not running tubes they may deny the claim. Just saying...
Yeah or if your truck is lifted or has bigger tires or an gigantic steel anti-personnel bumper. Gimme a break.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
Those rims, as said above, do not have a safety flange to catch the bead at low air pressures or cornering forces. It is a safety feature. Lots of people run with out tubes and have never had a problem. But you are taking an additional risk by doing that. At least here in the Sates if you are in an accident and the insurance company finds out that you are not running tubes they may deny the claim. Just saying...
Obviously you have never unmounted a tire from a stock tube Defender rim. They are MUCH harder to break the bead than any "normal" rim. Safety bead rims are much, much easier to break the bead.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 17th, 2015, 06:42 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Obviously you have never unmounted a tire from a stock tube Defender rim. They are MUCH harder to break the bead than any "normal" rim. Safety bead rims are much, much easier to break the bead.
Actually I worked for two major tire companies and helped design off road tires for passenger vehicles. I have seen the various test results. The safety flange was designed into the rim for a reason. There always is some discussion on this issue and has been on this board many times. As I said I have seen tube type rims run with tubeless tires and the owners never had a problem, however, I have also seen them fail. Why take the risk?

------ Follow up post added September 17th, 2015 06:44 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Yeah or if your truck is lifted or has bigger tires or an gigantic steel anti-personnel bumper. Gimme a break.
So tell me why people use bead locks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
If you were worried about leaking just grab a rattle can of paint and paint over the pieces meet and rivets a few times and that should do it. Been running my tires for years with no problems and I didnt do anything to them. Even run them below 10psi just to get some flex and they just kept going.
Me too

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old September 17th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
How many statements (like this one about wheels and tires in the owner's manual) does Land Rover have about lifts and bumpers?

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 17th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
it's kind of like the swivel ball/wheel bearing grease vs oil ongoing debate. The safety "flange" as you call it does nothing to prevent tires from coming of the rim during off road use.They are there to prevent tires coming off when flatted on the road. And at that task they or only slightly more successful than the non-flanged rims. I've been in vehicles where the tire came off on the highway after flatting, with the correct style rim. People use beadlocks because they don't want to spin the tire on the rim under heavy offroad use or have the tire get pushed off the rim during same. As for quoting form the bible, Tom, if I was a lawyer I would be just as keen to go after someone for modding their truck in a way that wasn't expressly spelled out as acceptable in some kind of factory literature as I would be someone running the wrong tire on the wrong rim. But it would have to be proveable that the subject compenent was at least partially the cause of the accident. Remember the yellow submarine?

Bottom line is do what you want or what you feel comfortable with. Don't be stupid about it. Don't think that just because you refuse to put tubeless tires on tubed rims that you are free from all other liability for damages or injury caused by your vehicle. Does your insurance company know you have a tdi in your truck?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"

Past:
Old September 17th, 2015, 12:16 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
What does a tdi have to do with tires coming off wheels?

Not sure I understand how one goes from safety beads to a tdi, especially in light of an accident analysis.

While we're flying off the proverbial rails on this thread, isn't molybdenum disulfide grease preferable to gear oil in a CV joint? Considering that almost every single IFS vehicle uses moly grease in their CV's...
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:16 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
What does a tdi have to do with tires coming off wheels? Not sure I understand how one goes from safety beads to a tdi, especially in light of an accident analysis. While we're flying off the proverbial rails on this thread, isn't molybdenum disulfide grease preferable to gear oil in a CV joint? Considering that almost every single IFS vehicle uses moly grease in their CV's...
The common thread is things one can do to a vehicle that might cause you to lose coverage when you go to make a claim. Those worried about tires and rim combos need to look a little more closely at some of the other mods they may have done.

Present:
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"

Past:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire, tires