My rear end is sloppy - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 26th, 2013, 11:11 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
My rear end is sloppy

I'm expecting jokes, but it is a serious question... I thought I may have had a universal joint issue, but it turns out my rear end has a lot of play/slop that is causing it to clunk between shifts and when I first move the truck...

I don't know much about rear ends, so what could it be?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2013, 11:14 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
My first guess would be that ball joint that attaches to the top of the axle via the 2 upper A arms.

But it could be any of the bushings on the rear suspension. Depending on mileage it might not be a bad time to replace them all. Not that hard and could make your rig feel much much better.
Old November 26th, 2013, 11:22 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Not that hard and could make your rig feel much much better.
Not that hard!

Want to come do mine?
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2013, 11:24 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Start by checking that the driveshaft bolts aren't loose.
Old November 26th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Dan: Put it up on one of the lifts at work and grab a pry bar.

That said the D to R or 1 to Reverse shifts always clunk unless you take it out of gear just before you come to a halt. That releases some of the torque or tension in the system

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:22 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Driveshaft bolts are fine... we put it on the lift a couple of weeks ago and you can spin the rear tires about a 1/4turn before the yoke coming from the front of the rear end turns... so every time I disengage the clutch and reengage the cluth, it closes that gap inside the rear end causing a "clonk"... it also does it going down the road when I take my foot off the gas and reapply the throttle... it's very aggravating, and my next project... although my failing power steering pump will probably come first...

My dad is a mechanic and can help me with any work... just curious of a diagnosis beforehand...
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
1/4 turn is not out of line.... Check the drive member splines first as they tend to wear.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:30 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
We checked all of the driveshafts, gear boxes, and everything up front... it's nowhere near as sloppy as the back... I have to milk the clutch whenever I shift or it feels like the rear end is going to jump through the car... I'll get my dad to check the splines this weekend, and hopefully get it fixed... I'm sure I'll end up dumping more money into it...
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:53 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Not that hard! Want to come do mine?
Bring your truck up to my house with some goodies and I will have it done in a week

It is a pretty straight forward job and not too bad - that is if the bolts come out somewhat easily.
Old November 26th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD90 View Post
I'm expecting jokes, but it is a serious question... I thought I may have had a universal joint issue, but it turns out my rear end has a lot of play/slop that is causing it to clunk between shifts and when I first move the truck... I don't know much about rear ends, so what could it be? Thanks!
Had this same thunk, and the ball joint replacement made it like new again. Cheap $60 part, but a 3 hr job I'm told (paid a local shop to do it).
Old November 26th, 2013, 05:57 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Great timing. I was just mentioning this to Galpin an Lav the other day at HH. We suspect the A-arm ball joint as well.

I need Pastor Huff and his congregation to open the church doors soon.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:12 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Does anyone have a breakdown photo of a Defender's rear end? Curious to know what's going on behind all the steel and grease...
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Do Defenders have a Rotoflex coupling? Mine on the RRC is gone, just ordered another one from RN and I noticed that when driving with it in shoddy condition the rear kinda sways around a little...I would check that too - easy to see - of course that is if D's have one

But for yuks...

You might want to squeeze your cheeks together, apply pressure with your hands if needed...certainly would help with any rear end sloppiness
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:18 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Now that I think about it, would I possibly be better off robbing a rear end off of one of our graveyard Discos? Will it fit?
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:40 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Now that I think about it, would I possibly be better off robbing a rear end off of one of our graveyard Discos? Will it fit?
If you have an NAS truck I would just keep what you have. The Disco will have ABS shit and the rotoflex which I don't think is better. And you will have to fart around with the brake lines. Defender is 1 line split to each wheel and the Disco is 2 lines (1 to each side, IIRC).

What do you want to know about the Land Rover rear ends? Rovers North catalog should have a pretty good diagram. I have rear end pieces all over the garage if you want to see something specifc.
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:57 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
If you have an NAS truck I would just keep what you have. The Disco will have ABS shit and the rotoflex which I don't think is better. And you will have to fart around with the brake lines. Defender is 1 line split to each wheel and the Disco is 2 lines (1 to each side, IIRC).

What do you want to know about the Land Rover rear ends? Rovers North catalog should have a pretty good diagram. I have rear end pieces all over the garage if you want to see something specifc.
I honestly have no clue... I'm going to have my dad check it out this weekend and see if he may have an idea. I'll check out the diagrams that you mentioned just so I have a better understanding of how they function.
Old November 26th, 2013, 07:11 PM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Had this same thunk, and the ball joint replacement made it like new again. Cheap $60 part, but a 3 hr job I'm told (paid a local shop to do it).
Me too. I ordered a new fulcrum base, the a-frame ball joint and the 2 bolts. Took all the parts to the local mechanic and they were done in less than 2 hours. They had to cut one of the bolts.
Old November 26th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Mine did.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 6th, 2014, 03:08 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I've got to revive this thread... I pulled the 90 out of the garage, and my ball joint sounds like it's about to fly apart... where can I order one of these assemblies/bolts and have it here by the weekend? The rear end of my Defender seems to do a little shimmy when I'm making turns, lol... hopefully it'll limp home today from work.
Old May 6th, 2014, 03:54 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Rovahfarm.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rear end