My rear end is sloppy - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 6th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Dan, here is how I check the a-arm balljoint.
Lay underneath the vehicle on flat ground on your back.
With your feet, push on the tires and try to roll the truck.
I was able to see the balljoint wiggle around when doing this...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2014, 04:06 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959 View Post
Rovahfarm.
Is Rovahfarm pretty quick with shipping? I need to get it ASAP.
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:20 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Trevor has done good by me in the past. Give him a call and he will let you know. I bought the full assembly from him so i can get my old one done at my leisure.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2014, 04:31 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959 View Post
Trevor has done good by me in the past. Give him a call and he will let you know. I bought the full assembly from him so i can get my old one done at my leisure.
I just ordered the whole assembly... I did the UPS 2nd day, so that should get it here by the weekend. I hope that's all that needs to be repaired. Are there any other parts that will need to be replaced along with that assembly? I didn't think about bolts, but I assume I can get some locally if the stock bolts aren't replaceable.
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Please keep us updated.

This is on my to do list ASAP.
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:41 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
I put new bolts in on the 90, but just reused the bolts on the disco. The disco was much easier to get off. Its a 30mm nut. I went and got a 30mm wrench from sears since you will have a hard time getting a socket on there without rounding it off.

If your rear is sloppy, make sure those frame/trailing arm bushings are in good shape and not loose.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:51 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I got underneath the 90 last night, and I don't see any play in the ball joint. I pushed on the tires and got it moving back and forth, and saw nothing. Whenever I'm driving and make a turn, it sounds like the rear end is going to fall out from under it, but I don't see play in any of the connections.

Could this be a problem with one of the axles or something internal? What can cause the rear end to feel like it's moving 6 inches to either side when I'm turning?
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
do you have a detroit locker

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 7th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD90 View Post
I got underneath the 90 last night, and I don't see any play in the ball joint. I pushed on the tires and got it moving back and forth, and saw nothing. Whenever I'm driving and make a turn, it sounds like the rear end is going to fall out from under it, but I don't see play in any of the connections.

Could this be a problem with one of the axles or something internal? What can cause the rear end to feel like it's moving 6 inches to either side when I'm turning?
Mine looked like the balljoint was literally going to separate-it won't, but it was jumping up and down in the housing a 1/4inch or so!

While moving it like you did- did you check the big rubber bushings where the trailing arms connect to the frame? That's another area that might do what you're describing.

Also, as Doug mentioned, what kind of rear end is in the truck?
Get both rear wheels off the ground on jackstands and turn one wheel. What is the opposite wheel doing?

Rent my
!
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:09 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Also, as Doug mentioned, what kind of rear end is in the truck?
Get both rear wheels off the ground on jackstands and turn one wheel. What is the opposite wheel doing?
I did that last night... the drivers side wheel turned about a full turn with sort of a dull ratcheting sound... the passenger side wheel sort of free turned and made a "clonk" at the end when I turned it either way.

No idea what kind of rear end it is... I'm assuming it's a stock '95 rearend.
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
I did that last night... the drivers side wheel turned about a full turn with sort of a dull ratcheting sound... the passenger side wheel sort of free turned and made a "clonk" at the end when I turned it either way.

No idea what kind of rear end it is... I'm assuming it's a stock '95 rearend.
Interesting.

When you rotated the drivers side wheel, did the pass side wheel turn the same direction or the opposite direction?

Rent my
!
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:34 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I had time yesterday to lift the Defender and turn the wheels... I wish I knew more about what to look for. The ball joint, sway bar, etc seem to be sound. When I turn my wheel(s), it takes about 3/4 of a turn before it actually engages the driveshaft. Is that normal? Maybe that's the "clonk" I hear when I put it in gear and shift. Both wheels seem to spin the same direction.

What's worst case scenario here? Replace rear end? What could that cost? What about having it rebuilt?

Are these things capable of running in front wheel drive mode temporarily? Lol!
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:11 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I had the same problem, and it turned out to be something completely unrelated to the rear diff

Before my rebuild, my rear end had a clunk when moving forward or reversing from a stop. I also thought it was slop in the rear diff somewhere as I have the same massive play between movement of the wheels.

I couldn't do anything about the rear diff, so I tried replacing the rear DS UJ's. No effect.

I then completely tore down the truck and replaced every rear bushing with urethane. I replaced the rear wheel bearings, brake pads, disassembled and reassembled the rear a-frame mounts, and rear shock components.

After the rebuild, there is no clunk.
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:17 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I'm trying to remember if a rear end from a Disco I will retrofit. It could be the easiest route for me right now. I just bought a new house, so my nest egg isn't ready for Defender catastrophes.
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I transplanted mine D1 rear end into my build. Rear propshaft just bolts up but only if you have swapped out the rubber donut/guibo.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:59 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I transplanted mine D1 rear end into my build. Rear propshaft just bolts up but only if you have swapped out the rubber donut/guibo.
Rocky, what do you mean by the rubber donut/guibo? Is that something I need to get ordered asap? There's 2 Disco 1's at the local LKQ, so I'll more than likely be there this weekend.
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Rocky, what do you mean by the rubber donut/guibo? Is that something I need to get ordered asap? There's 2 Disco 1's at the local LKQ, so I'll more than likely be there this weekend.
It's got to be out of a 98' or 99' Disco or you'll need to replace the flange on the rear diff
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:31 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
It's got to be out of a 98' or 99' Disco or you'll need to replace the flange on the rear diff
Thanks, Howski! I didn't know that... one of the Discos is a '98 and the other is a '94, so that weeds out that mistake.
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:44 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
93 -95 RRC would work as well. Not a huge deal to swap the rotoflex yoke on the earlier D1 either though.

-Jeff
When you say swap out the rotoflex yoke, what does that mean exactly? I'm green to the terms and compatibility in general for that matter!
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Replacing any of that stuff in a driveway/garage by yourself is an utter PIA...I "try" to do as much as possible myself, just to bust my knuckles for fun - but did not even attempt this fix for mine (95RRC), which included all new nuts-n-bolts. Paid a mechanic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rear end