My POS Safarigard 3L kit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Angry My POS Safarigard 3L kit

After an awful long time and a couple hundred Euros gone in the missing centerlink, spacers and hardware I missed, I spent (or threw away) the weekend trying to install the SG 3L kit.

After 2 days under the truck eating dust, this is where I am now.

Photo 1 shows the "clearance" between the rockguard and the diff, with the forward and rearwards bolts in place; bolts which use the swaybar holes don't line up, so I guess I'll have to use smaller ones

Instructions say "grind slightly" if there a clearance isssue, and "this should be minimal".
Minimal my @rse.
I think I'm close to poke a "minimal" hole in the RG, and the area I had to grind is now hair thin probably, so I might have created a nice weak point

Photo 2 shows the area affected by the "slight clearance issue".

Photo 3 shows the clearance tierod has with both ends in place (yet not tightened).
Plenty of room it seems. Eh.

Tomorrow I'll have to go to my fabricator and have a flat bar cutted and drilled to work as spacer and fill the gap.
Then, supposing all the rest will be fine (.......), I'll bring the Cube out for a test spin with this bodged setup; if anything's wrong, I'll throw it all in a corner and get back to radius arms.

I'm surprised nobody ever showed up to SG when they still were in business, and beat the cr@p out of those guys.
Tolerances are ok and taken in account (mostly), but a blind monkey could have done better.

I'm glad I bought a leafsprung Rover.
So I won't have to deal with garbage like this again to gain some articulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RG_clearance.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	51848   Click image for larger version

Name:	RG_diffclearance.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	51849  

Name:	TR_clearance.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	51850  
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2012, 07:16 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Bummer. I feel your pain
Back in the day when I installed a pile of those I never had any one of them fit right out of the box. They were also incredibly inconsistent. I tried to work it out with SG but in the end I just cut them all up, reassembled and painted it with frame paint (cause the powdercaoting also sucked). I still have one kit sitting in a box for spares.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 21st, 2012, 01:46 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Hi Matt,
thanks for symphatizing.
I am evaluating to cut it to pieces as well (for the bin tho), re-draw it and have a new one made by a fabricator with both eyes in shape.
Shame after a wasted weekend, I would've expected to have the Cube back on the road, and not sitting on jacks still...plus I'm tired of pouring more money and time in this thing.

I'm tempted to grind even more until it (MAYBE!!!) slips in and bolts to the diff (if it'll ever do...) like it's supposed to do, but neither I want to cut a hole in the boxed section...?!?!

The "spacer" plate alternative plan, on the other end, would be the quintessence of this bodge installation...

On top of this, it's raining cats and dogs.

Lovely.
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2012, 06:24 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
..plus I'm tired of pouring more money and time in this thing.
HA Ha ha ha ha ha....HAH!

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:38 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I'm glad I'm amusing you Bill
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:03 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Weld a spacer plate to it and paint and you'll forget you did it in no time.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:18 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Will squeeze one in and see if it bolts up ok, although I'm tempted to grind it "slightly" more...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:51 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

shit, I haven't put mine on yet and I hope I don't have the same problems.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old May 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

I was lucky and got mine second hand and it had already been fitted and grounded down. It fit pretty good with with help of a bottle jack and a big ass hammer.

Here's a pic - you can kinda see how much was ground off
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo(31).JPG
Views:	185
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	51944  
Old May 21st, 2012, 02:39 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Mine is 2nd hand too...in a way.
Been test fitted to a previous D90 here in Italy and soon binned.
I wonder if they'll ever manage to fit it, but there are washers marks around the diff hole,
so I'd think they someway made it?

I can't see any grinding on yours...?

I touched your pic up to show the affected area.

Thanks.

P.S.
My "spacer" will be ready tomorrow, but I'll attack again with the angle grinder.
Should I ended up with an hole in it, to hell, I'll have a better one made from scratch.
Now it's getting personal B-(
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3link.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	51955  
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old May 21st, 2012, 03:04 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Michele is your tierod heavy-duty as in thicker or are you running the stock tierod?
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old May 21st, 2012, 03:09 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
It's stock, I don't think an HD one would work...I still doubt the stock will do!

I still have my Rovertracks rod, but it's not the straight type, so I can't tell.

------ Follow up post added May 21st, 2012 09:13 PM ------

@ Jake: could you please take a couple of closeup shots?
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old May 21st, 2012, 03:59 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II View Post
It's stock, I don't think an HD one would work...I still doubt the stock will do!

I still have my Rovertracks rod, but it's not the straight type, so I can't tell.

------ Follow up post added May 21st, 2012 09:13 PM ------

@ Jake: could you please take a couple of closeup shots?

Well that was the only pic I have with it not on the truck. If you zoom in on the pic you can see where it has been hit with the grinder - I painted over it. Mine fits with the QT HD tie rod no problems.
Old May 21st, 2012, 04:13 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Uhmm...will check again tomorrow.
Thanks!
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old May 21st, 2012, 04:19 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II View Post
Uhmm...will check again tomorrow.
Thanks!

You could also try grinding on the diff housing bit.. I would but I'm a little crazy
Old May 21st, 2012, 04:37 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I did think of it, but holy cow, no.
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:27 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Thumbs down

Update:
while waiting for the spacer to be done, I did buy a new angle grinder and "slightly" grind the damn rockguard again...I did try to keep it to a minimum, but I went through the top layer of steel and hitted the one below until it now looks "porous". So the thickness is close to zero there, and I can see minimal light if I look inside the boxed section now

I did test fit it again, and it slided in position, right up to the diff holes!
Hooray I thought (you damn pig), but...

...fit the bolts for the millionth time in the forward holes...
...tap tap tap
...ok

...move on to the rearward holes...
...tap tap ta...WTF...HOLY COW HOLES ARE NOW MISALIGNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D'OH!

I'll stop by my fabricator in an hour to get the spacer, while there I'll put the damn rockguard under the press drill and bore those stupid holes out!!!!!!!!

Then I'll probably refit radius arms and re-draw the whole damn thing as needed

It has really drained my will away...

+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:12 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

You need to take a drill, let the rock guard hang and put a piece of wood of metal behind it and bore the holes out. Mine are pretty big but I used a couple bigger washers and it works fine.

I wouldnt worry about a small hole in the rock guard it's still going to be more than solid.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:15 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Just got back from the "shop", redrilled the holes and have my spacer with me.
I'll give it another try tomorrow.

But I forgot a detail...the pretty much "special" diff bolts...I'd need longer ones with the added spacer, and can't find them anywhere.

Oh yeah!

Ypeeeee...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I refitted the radius arms today...

+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
kit