My POS Safarigard 3L kit - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 28th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Did I say I'm still alive and it's running?

(despite a few weird things)
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
So far, it's silent

(touching wood)

Still...some weirdness.
I spent more money on bolts and nuts, I needed a replacement for the DS upper arm (done, perfect), and I wanted slightly longer bolts for the center link (what I have now are just too short to put a washer each side, which I don't like it)...the replacement I got, accordingly to the original parts list, matches perfectly the ID of the metal sleeve.
Shame, it's too big for the holes in the crossmember and rockguard tabs
So I had to refit the old ones, which are slightly narrower and rattle in the centerlink.

I will probably drill the tabs out as soon as I'll have the chance...and will.

Now I need:
1)a different diff guard, my Qt won't fit anymore, I'm ordering a weld-on guard from Gwyn Lewis
2)longer shocks (when I'll get a job again)
3)external mounts, I'd like to have some custom ones made , will doodle something...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old September 28th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Although I'd love the sewer cap mod!!!! and my fabricator is close, it would involve pulling the axle and gutting it, and welding etc...which I can't do right now, this truck spent most of its time stopped for some silly job to be done than idling on the trails...I want to use it before the winter comes, as much as possible.

Gwyn's guard has decent openings on sides, I guess in similar style to my Qt guard...it should be easy to clean with a hose.
I could chop my Qt, but I'll keep it, just in case I'll have to get back to radius arms.

Shock mounts: I plan well ahead
and a couple of RRC external shock mounts have been sitting on the shelf for...2 years? 3? By now...
But yes, I'd like to going huge this time...or, better, long

I think I'll shoot for 12" short body 7100s (running 10" at the moment and I could max these out with slotted bushes),
I know some run 14" but I see packaging issues...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Why would you have to gut the axle to mount the sewer cap? I thought most guys were doing this with the axle still in the truck
Old September 28th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I guess I'm a weirdo

Actually, I don't have a proper garage with a lifter to work in...and I like doing things the comfortable way...so, laying the axle on my fabricator's table, where he can cut and weld and touch up paint comfortably...done once, done well...

(Edit: ooh, I still had the full Toy conversion in mind, which I planned years and years ago, which involves gutting the axle...there, confusing me)

Gwyn's guard should do...three tabs, and you're ready to wheel.
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old September 28th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
Why would you have to gut the axle to mount the sewer cap? I thought most guys were doing this with the axle still in the truck
Even to pull the front third you'd have to take the whole 3 link apart.. It's a nightmare, probably the worst part of the design.
Old September 28th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Urgh...don't remind me...

Even if, having pulled that pig a hundred times, I'm quite skilled and fast now!
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
kit