My new buggy, and NV4500 - LT230 mating tech - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 29th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

My new buggy, and NV4500 - LT230 mating tech

Hi All,

It has been 10 months since I last logged into D-90. Seing the site mostly unchanged was great. I met some really great people here. Some really close friends. I think I ticked a few people off too.

The reason I am back is I wanted to post up a little tech, and if anyone is interested, post up a few pics of my new car. The rover is gone. I sold it to a guy named Mike in Utah. Awesome guy, and absolutely beats the thing to death. Seriously!

I ended up getting into racing fairly heavy. Still just a part timer, and still for fun, but I caught the bug. And I built a new car, but there was one thing I just couldnt let go of, and that was the LT230. I loved the TDi very much, but I just couldn't get the power out of it. Still a perfect weekend warrior motor. But the LT, man, that is a great case. Bigger gears than an Atlas, dual offsets, AL case, all wheel drive for the desert. Man!

So I tried to keep it. Well, if you are putting close to 500HP in front of it, the R380 aint going to cut it. So the logical choice was an NV4500. Well, not logical. The logical choice was a 6L80E or TH400. But SCREW autos. Yes, I destroy them just by looking at them. It's a gift. No, a curse.

Anyway. Anthony Lawson did all the heavy lifting on this. The design, the idea, everything. I was just lucky enough to find him, and have a buddy that owed me a big time favor who happens to have a milling shop. The result is a match made in heaven. Here you guys go. Hope all is well. Cheers

Almost forgot. Keith at Rovertracks (er Rovingtracks) made this all possible. From the custom shafts, to the custom NV4500 output shaft. All of it. He is brilliant.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2012, 03:16 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

I wanted this two years ago in a swap thread, did you replace the transmission out put shaft? What does the coupler look like?

Would like to know how it works out for you.
Would the guys who built it for you consider making more? I'm not interested in going auto and getting a monster 80e when an nv4500 seems perfect.
Old September 29th, 2012, 03:16 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Sweet. Welcome back Buck.
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Looking forward to seeing the truck at KOH 2013 or earlier!
Old September 29th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01 View Post
I wanted this two years ago in a swap thread, did you replace the transmission out put shaft? What does the coupler look like?

Would like to know how it works out for you.
Would the guys who built it for you consider making more? I'm not interested in going auto and getting a monster 80e when an nv4500 seems perfect.
We did this a little wierd. Anthony and I wanted a beefy output shaft. So we used a 2wd dodge output that was long enough to get into the deep LT gears. We had to use dodge as it was the only one long enough. We then had the output shaft milled to a 32 spline chevy pattern, and had the input gear on the LT EDM'd to match the pattern. So all said and done we have the big dodge diesel with chevy output. The LT had a ton of meat left around the gears to support this.

Now, all the shenanigans are not actually necessary. I think that you could mill the rover spline pattern in without a real worry of breaking it in most applications. I don't think breaking that is a common occurance. But because of the HP and use of my car, bigger was better.

I still have two of the adapters. I made them, and once you have the fixture, program, and cutters, it didn't make sense to make just 2. Let me know if you want one. I had no idea the need but a few people have grabbed one.

------ Follow up post added September 29th, 2012 11:06 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Are you running it bass ackwards?

-Jeff
No, I am finally running it the direction that God intended. Rear engine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	David Buchberger bmm3.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	58218  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 29th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Teal? That is so '89 Camaro!

-Jeff
Teal? Thats WIDIA green and titanium silver. And a little black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0442.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	58219  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 29th, 2012, 09:24 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

That is straight evil looking. Is the hood off a polaris ranger?

So you use a 2wd dodge nv4500 and have the shaft cut down to mate? I would have figured the 2wd version. Ahh the engine possibilities....

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old September 30th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
That is straight evil looking. Is the hood off a polaris ranger?

So you use a 2wd dodge nv4500 and have the shaft cut down to mate? I would have figured the 2wd version. Ahh the engine possibilities....
Thanks. That is a custom hood I got from SXOR.

You have to use a 2wd shaft, but a 4x4 back end. It sounds complicated, but it's all pretty simple when you do it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 1st, 2012, 10:04 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Great to see you checking in on the D90 Source Buck!

Real cool that you decided to use an LT230 on your race buggy. Hope it works out well on the track/courses. Always liked reading your posts. Yeah, I'm sure you ticked some people off but you always had a good reason for your thinking and you could back your posts up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Almost forgot. Keith at Rovertracks (er Rovingtracks) made this all possible. From the custom shafts, to the custom NV4500 output shaft. All of it. He is brilliant.
Thanks to you and Lane/mightymg I went with Keith and his Toyota stuff. I figured if you 2 were happy with his work at the punishment you were putting it up to, then I would be plenty fine. I have almost a year on the rear axle and working on putting the front together now. Keith has always been great to deal with. Wish I had time to get the rig off-road more and really put it to it's paces but I'll save that for when the kids get older and I can wheel more often. Best of luck with the racing :
Old October 1st, 2012, 10:46 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Hey Buck..you running lockers on that..I hear there is a new kind of locker available..
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:06 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Buck that looks awesome! and glad to see you're sticking to some Rover roots with the xfer case. Is it running permanently locked?

Your buggy is awesome, but whats with the Razor hood??? Get a rover rad support fabbed up and a real galvy grille on that beast

Any vids of the buggy in action?

~Steve
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:15 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Glad to see you back Dave. What engine are you running ? What wheelbase ?
That is a one mighty clean looking adapter- but that's what one would expect from you.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 1st, 2012, 08:14 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Great to see you checking in on the D90 Source Buck!

Real cool that you decided to use an LT230 on your race buggy. Hope it works out well on the track/courses. Always liked reading your posts. Yeah, I'm sure you ticked some people off but you always had a good reason for your thinking and you could back your posts up.

Thanks to you and Lane/mightymg I went with Keith and his Toyota stuff. I figured if you 2 were happy with his work at the punishment you were putting it up to, then I would be plenty fine. I have almost a year on the rear axle and working on putting the front together now. Keith has always been great to deal with. Wish I had time to get the rig off-road more and really put it to it's paces but I'll save that for when the kids get older and I can wheel more often. Best of luck with the racing :
Thanks!! I hope it goes well. Keith is the man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Hey Buck..you running lockers on that..I hear there is a new kind of locker available..
I already am trying out a new prototype. It's selectable with three settings! Locked, unlocked, and time travel! Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor View Post
Buck that looks awesome! and glad to see you're sticking to some Rover roots with the xfer case. Is it running permanently locked?

Your buggy is awesome, but whats with the Razor hood??? Get a rover rad support fabbed up and a real galvy grille on that beast

Any vids of the buggy in action?

~Steve
Thanks!! It runs open and locked. Open is killer for go fast.

It's not a razor hood, it's a custom SXOR made from lexan. I honestly thought about putting a d90 hood on it, but there is just no way. The cab is so far forword, that the room is very tight under there. My pedals almost touch the winch. There are vids but I haven't loaded them yet. Cheers!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:28 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Glad to see you back Dave. What engine are you running ? What wheelbase ?
That is a one mighty clean looking adapter- but that's what one would expect from you.
Thanks. It's an LQ9 with a mild cam. Wheelbase is 114.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lt230