My headlights are not working - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 25th, 2005, 03:53 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

My headlights are not working

My headlights are not working… The running lights will come on but neither the low or high-beam works. I have checked all of the fuses and even swapped a few of the relays around.

They went out a few weeks ago when I was on a trail. It started getting dark; I turned them on, like normal. About 30 minutes later they no longer worked. The odd thing is that my odometer is also not displaying the mileage although the backlight is working fine.

Any suggestions?

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2005, 08:37 PM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

The headlight switch (on the steering column) tends to go bad.
My high beams worked though.
You should be able to tell if it is fried if you pull it out of there.
Old September 25th, 2005, 11:08 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Thanks Michael... That tends to make sense, seeing that all the fuses looked fine.

The strange part is that odometer is also not working. The backlight works, but the numbers are missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2005, 09:28 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

I have the same problem here in my new truck. The high beams work, but the low beams do not. I have tried replacing the headlights themselves, and I have tried to replace the headlight switch with 2 different switches, and that does not fix the problem either. Also the horn doesn't work. Would the 2 things be related? And does anyone have any idea what should I try next? Thanks...this isn't really hijacking is it?
Old October 3rd, 2005, 10:48 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

bump

anyone?
Old October 3rd, 2005, 10:50 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Missed this one when you posted first, but I would check the fuse block under the hood there are 4 fuse's and I think the lights and horn are on the same fuse.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 11:06 AM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
If it turns out the fuses are okay, make sure to check the connections. My lights went out when I went over some railroad tracks (of all things) and it turned out one of the connections in the plug into the harness was a little loose. I took apart the plug, cleaned and bent the connectors a bit to ensure better contact, used dielectric grease, and plugged it all back together. I've not had a problem since (7 months or so).
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:26 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

all the fuses look good, under the hood AND under the dash. I also switched relays around, no good either. As for the connections, I dicked around with those when I tried replacing the headlights. Plus my brights work fine. WTF?
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I posted wiring diagrams here http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=6540

But with both the horen and the lights not working it makes me think it is the high/low beam switch. Maybe it's not working or it has a bad connection?
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:50 PM
solihul
Rover

I had the dreaded non-functional headlights. I replaced the light switch, checked the fuses, checked the wiring, etc. I ended up putting in a heavy duty h4 light harness and running a new power supply directly to the switch then down to the light harness. The switch now works fine. I still don't have high beams when pushing the stalk forward. That problem has to be related to the turnsignal/high beam switch unit which I will replace when I get another zillion dollars to dump into that money pit.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:17 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I recently developed the same problem, high beams work when you push the stalk, but low beams won't come on at all. Checked all fuses inside and under hood, all are fine. Looked at headlight switch, I replaced it last year, all is fine with it. Horn works fine, blinkers work fine, just don't have low beams.
I don't get it. Are there more connections somewhere? Switched around relays, nothing happened.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:20 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Your switch may be bad again... Call the supplier and check the warranty status. I have not changed mine yet, but I can get the lights on by playing with the switch.

BTW, since you are in Cumming and I am in Alpharetta, let me know if you want to hit a trail or two...

Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:32 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I thought the same thing, but I took out the switch and it was okay. Nothing melted or damaged like last time.
Seriously, I just replaced it last year when it melted. I have driven the car another couple of thousand miles with the lights working fine, but the other day after the hard rain we had, they just went out.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:49 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Check the ground connections that come off the harnesses from the bulkhead to the grill. My headlights weren't working on my D1, I checked everything and they were ok. As a last resort and tightened the grounds which are located on the left and right wings on a Disco and everything is back to normal. Hope it works for you too.

Best
Michael

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights