My First Defender Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:38 AM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
My First Defender Questions

Hey everyone!
I am looking at getting my first Defender, and tbh my first GreenOval. I am currently looking at two D90s and one 110, all of which are equipped with the 2.5TD.
I am a college student and the only money I have is in my 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser M/T, which I am selling to fund a Defender purchase. Being a college student with a job that requires quite a bit of driving I am very concerned with reliability; this will be my only car and it needs to work, at least until I can afford a 200/300TDi swap(at least 1 year of savings).
I am seen on multiple websites and forums that the 2.5TD is a horrid engine.

So my question(s) to ya'll are;

Is this true, the 2.5TD is hell?

Worth getting, and will it last the 1+ years until I can put a new engine?

What is acceptable mileage on these? One of the D90's mileage is 164k, the other is 140,741 with an engine rebuild 20k miles ago.(not sure of the mileage of the 110)

P.S. My 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 6-speed M/T and 50k miles is for sale if anyone is interested or knows somebody that is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:46 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

No technical advice from me, but:

College + Job + Limited Funds + Current Reliable Vehicle + Lots of Driving = Don't buy Defender

Sincerely,

Common Sense
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:50 AM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

I would stick with the Toyota until after graduation. My Defender is a hobby car and requires a lot of TLC (read money) to keep it as the daily driver it is (I have two new cars as back-ups). Wait until you have a fair amount of disposable cash to dip your foot into the Rover pond.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:59 AM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
While this is not at all what I wanted to hear from ya'll, I feel that you are right
This is the Defender I am really looking at. I have a friend in NC going to check it out this weekend. I will wait on what he says. I am asking 22.5k for my Toyota, which(if I can get him down to 20k for the Defender) will, after tax and title, leave around $500-750 left.

------ Follow up post added September 4th, 2013 10:02 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Another question. Do you like to work on cars? If not they can be expensive to have someone else keep them going.

-Jeff
I am book smart when it comes to car maintenance, but little to no hands on. However, a fraternity brother of mine is extremely experienced in this field so if something needs work I am not too screwed. But would still like not to have to rely on him.
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:08 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Keep your Toyota. The 2.5 could last another 20 years, or another 20 minutes. No one here can reasonably tell you how long it will last.

Old September 4th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
That looks like a clean RoW 90 but you never know with trucks this old until you can check them out in person. Since you have to drive quite a bit for your job I'd probably suggest against it. I had a few situations with my college job, where I also had to drive often, when my Disco was out of service for a few days and it was a hassle to borrow friends cars. Defenders are simple to work on but you can't buy most parts at your local NAPA so it will require a day or two out of service if something does pop up. As mentioned, if you aren't mechanically inclined repairs can be expensive.
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:13 AM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Look up the valve lash adjustment procedure and interval. That is the tip of the iceberg.

-Jeff
After a brief look at it on Google(I am in class, can't read it too much) it does not seems tooo taxing.

------ Follow up post added September 4th, 2013 10:14 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Keep your Toyota. The 2.5 could last another 20 years, or another 20 minutes. No one here can reasonably tell you how long it will last.
This is what keeps me up at night...

------ Follow up post added September 4th, 2013 10:18 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Disco View Post
That looks like a clean RoW 90 but you never know with trucks this old until you can check them out in person. Since you have to drive quite a bit for your job I'd probably suggest against it. I had a few situations with my college job, where I also had to drive often, when my Disco was out of service for a few days and it was a hassle to borrow friends cars. Defenders are simple to work on but you can't buy most parts at your local NAPA so it will require a day or two out of service if something does pop up. As mentioned, if you aren't mechanically inclined repairs can be expensive.
I should clarify what I mean but a large amount of driving. 1-2 times a month I will be required to drive to Kingfisher, Oklahoma(about 2 hours each way); about 1-2 times a month I will be required to drive to Shawnee, Oklahoma(about 1.5hrs each way); and about 2-4 times a month I will be required to drive to OKC(30-45mins each way).

My job has an extremely flexible schedule which gives me two weeks from assignment date to complete a job. So if I need to take the rover to the shop, the maximum amount of down time would be 1 week.
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:21 AM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
All I can say is I have had mine since June and I've already spent 5k.
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:23 AM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaughva View Post
All I can say is I have had mine since June and I've already spent 5k.
May I ask why?
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:24 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You probably won't find any deals on eBay. Look local and check them out in person. Drive one around before you set your mind on wanting one. Keep the Toyota for now and save up for a worthy Defender upon graduation. Then, keep the Toyota and buy the Defender as your DD until it needs work...then drive the Toyota.

------ Follow up post added September 4th, 2013 11:25 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKV View Post
May I ask why?
No matter what - you should ALWAYS have $5k budgeted for immediately seen-and-unseen maintenance that may be needed immediately following buying a 20+ year old vehicle. If you don't spend the $5k in the first year of ownership, keep it for the second year...
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:31 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Well, what car or truck can you buy that does not run the risk of breaking down in a catastrophic manner that can end up stranding you and leaving you thousands of dollars in the hole? They're all like that.
So the green one in Laurel MD isn't too bad looking. It has a very slow but reliable 2.5 turbo diesel which will probably out live you. Doesn't appear to be a rust bucket but who knows.
There aren't many parts for that, at least parts that make it go and stop, that are more than a few days wait to get. If you shop right the parts aren't any worse than what Mr Toyota wants for his stuff.
There is also a huge network of us freeks that have secret stashes of parts.
If yous still have the parental lifeline in your grasp, then this isn't the cliff dive everyone makes it seem.

These diesels are not for everyone. You need to know that it is not a quiet roadway cruiser. It is noisy and uncomfortable for long periods of time. It would suck if you really hated it after going to all the trouble of getting one.

On the other hand, off road they are on the wings of angels. You just put it in low low and let it idle through just about any obstacle. Let the Jeeps beat themselves to smithereens and winch winch winch all effin day. You'll just toddle on by.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:31 AM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You probably won't find any deals on eBay. Look local and check them out in person. Drive one around before you set your mind on wanting one. Keep the Toyota for now and save up for a worthy Defender upon graduation. Then, keep the Toyota and buy the Defender as your DD until it needs work...then drive the Toyota.

------ Follow up post added September 4th, 2013 11:25 AM ------

No matter what - you should ALWAYS have $5k budgeted for immediately seen-and-unseen maintenance that may be needed immediately following buying a 20+ year old vehicle. If you don't spend the $5k in the first year of ownership, keep it for the second year...
See now this is why I am here, I was told by [name redacted] that only $1000-1500 should be on hand for repairs; and he said at most I will be spending $2-3k a year on work.

I am going to see what my friend says after he sees the 90 this weekend. And depending on what price I can get for my FJ, I will make the choice.
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:32 AM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
Some was replacing worn out suspension components and some was upgrading (Dash w/ navi & bluetooth, Exmoor Seats - Cubby - Carpet)
Quote:
May I ask why?
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
No technical advice from me, but:

College + Job + Limited Funds + Current Reliable Vehicle + Lots of Driving = Don't buy Defender

Sincerely,

Common Sense
100% the right advice.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:40 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sorry to pile in but keep the toyota or get a honda accord or the like. Wait until you can buy a defender as a second car, for cash, with cash left over for maintenance. As much as I love these things they are money pits.
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:42 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
See now this is why I am here, I was told by [name redacted] that only $1000-1500 should be on hand for repairs; and he said at most I will be spending $2-3k a year on work.

I am going to see what my friend says after he sees the 90 this weekend. And depending on what price I can get for my FJ, I will make the choice.
You should have more money on hand than what you'll need for basic repairs, and HOPE you don't need it. Having a shopt bring the truck up to a standard/baseline can cost $1-2k easily, then just thinking of all of the smaller things that can easily go the first year I can think up another $1k pretty easily with any combination of the following: a new alternator, battery, starter, radiator, misc hoses/lines, bushings, fuel/brake/steering lines, steering box, brake master, clutch MC, heater blower motor, etc.
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:43 AM
ADudley
Alex
1993 D-110

Registry
Quote:
May I ask why?
I'll chime in and agree with the majority view here. Mine is a weekend driver with about 70k, bought from a reputable dealer, yet I have replaced the battery, the fuel pump, switch for the headlights, and am currently experiencing a very frustrating tail light issue. While it makes me smile every time I drive it, it is not a cheap endeavor.
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:47 AM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Well, what car or truck can you buy that does not run the risk of breaking down in a catastrophic manner that can end up stranding you and leaving you thousands of dollars in the hole? They're all like that.
So the green one in Laurel MD isn't too bad looking. It has a very slow but reliable 2.5 turbo diesel which will probably out live you. Doesn't appear to be a rust bucket but who knows.
There aren't many parts for that, at least parts that make it go and stop, that are more than a few days wait to get. If you shop right the parts aren't any worse than what Mr Toyota wants for his stuff.
There is also a huge network of us freeks that have secret stashes of parts.
If yous still have the parental lifeline in your grasp, then this isn't the cliff dive everyone makes it seem.

These diesels are not for everyone. You need to know that it is not a quiet roadway cruiser. It is noisy and uncomfortable for long periods of time. It would suck if you really hated it after going to all the trouble of getting one.

On the other hand, off road they are on the wings of angels. You just put it in low low and let it idle through just about any obstacle. Let the Jeeps beat themselves to smithereens and winch winch winch all effin day. You'll just toddle on by.
This "parental lifeline" you speak of does exist. My decision to go GreenOval has strained that lifeline(as much as me being a 5th year senior has) If I needed the cash I could get it, but I will have to pay it back or worse, take it from my college fund.
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:50 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Women will avoid your Defender like the plague.

Ask yourself if that's what you really want to ride in as a dude in college.
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Women will avoid your Defender like the plague.
Really? I've experienced quite the opposite

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender