My First Defender Questions - Page 9 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 26th, 2013, 12:16 PM
'95 D90 SW#106
To just start learning about Defenders , buying an 80's LR will set you some bucks back for sure. Once set up right (emphasis on right) and all checked out, they do last without major problems depending on the way they are used and treated. If you can wrench yourself, that would save you $ in the long run. I have owned my '95 D90 going on 18 years now, no major problems, just nit picky ones at 80K mileage, but then again I treat and care for her like a mistress
When I bought the truck it was practically new with very low miles.

All the defenders are pushing some years now, and upkeep would be on par with classic cars, not to mention the initial investment to make her right will be expensive.

I feel a better solution if you must have a LR, would be the 60's70's series LR, much simpler electronically and mechanically, and would give you a foundation in all things LR as a hobby.
(My first LR was a '67 series 2A nearly 30 years ago, after 4 years I got a 80's 110 defender 3.5L, then a 90's RR, then graduated to the 1995 Defender.)

Series are awesome off road stock or with parabolics. However HWY driving is like being on Safari on steroids even with an overdrive unit. (drove from NY to LA and back with the series, didn't break down once). That would be a good start IF you were to keep the Toyota as well for daily runs..

Old November 30th, 2013, 07:50 AM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
Missed another one.

Originally Posted by IvanKV View Post
I am currently out of town, but when I get back I am going to buy this!

Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions