My First Defender Questions - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old September 5th, 2013, 10:11 AM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKV View Post
I clearly forgot how a playful statement's intention could be lost over the internet. 'I don't like you anymore...' is not meant to be a serious statement.
I get in trouble for this all the time here too. No worries. I can see the sarcastic tone in your text but it's probably being lost on others.

Some people here had little to no help from their parents financially when going to school, and others did. I'm not sure it's fair for some to start jumping down this kid's throat just because he's admitting he's getting some help from his parents. He has a job, he's not saying he's ungrateful for the help, nor is he coming off as arrogant (to me at least since his words seem to carry a playful tone). If he is to some, I think you're reading into his words a little too literally, as he seems to me to just be playing into this entitlement idea you guys are throwing at him. Insurance is often much cheaper when bundled with other policies, so if his parents are still paying for his policy who cares? Some parents believe their kids should be cut-off starting at 16-18, and others don't. Ivan has a car worth X amount and is looking to get into a Defender for less than his current vehicle is worth so that he has the extra money we're telling him to have set aside for needed repairs and maintenance.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #82  
Old September 5th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Bill Larson's Avatar
Bill Larson
Status: Offline
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AUS
Posts: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I get in trouble for this all the time here too. No worries. I can see the sarcastic tone in your text but it's probably being lost on others.

Some people here had little to no help from their parents financially when going to school, and others did. I'm not sure it's fair for some to start jumping down this kid's throat just because he's admitting he's getting some help from his parents. He has a job, he's not saying he's ungrateful for the help, nor is he coming off as arrogant (to me at least since his words seem to carry a playful tone). If he is to some, I think you're reading into his words a little too literally, as he seems to me to just be playing into this entitlement idea you guys are throwing at him. Insurance is often much cheaper when bundled with other policies, so if his parents are still paying for his policy who cares? Some parents believe their kids should be cut-off starting at 16-18, and others don't. Ivan has a car worth X amount and is looking to get into a Defender for less than his current vehicle is worth so that he has the extra money we're telling him to have set aside for needed repairs and maintenance.
X2
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old September 5th, 2013, 10:32 AM
themaxx's Avatar
themaxx
Status: Offline
Ade
94 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 1,835
Registry
Everyone has done a great job of making it very clear what to expect when purchasing a Defender. He's shown enough intelligence by joining this board and asking questions. It's now up to Ivan, a man, to make the right decision for himself.
__________________
"It insists upon itself" Family Guy
"Your Defender insists upon itself" Dave Parker
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #84  
Old September 5th, 2013, 10:55 AM
kellykortman
Status: Offline
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: kingston, wa
Posts: 148
Registry
Haters never win. I just think that's true about life, because negative energy always costs in the end.
Tom Hiddleston

------ Follow up post added September 5th, 2013 08:01 AM ------

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:53 AM
IvanKV's Avatar
IvanKV
Status: Offline
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 227
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx View Post
Everyone has done a great job of making it very clear what to expect when purchasing a Defender. He's shown enough intelligence by joining this board and asking questions. It's now up to Ivan, a man, to make the right decision for himself.
Cheers mate! really appreciate it
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:54 AM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,271
Registry
Save up a few grand.

Tell pops you are done with the Toy and he can have it back or you can sell it and give him the proceeds

Buy an OBD 1 Disco 1, strip the interior, pull the AC (if it's not already broken) and get one with leaky sunroofs and you essentially have a Defender 100 SW for $2k. Drive it, fix it, wheel it and save for a Defender 200tdi when they can come over in a few years.

The Disco is a classic Green Oval with much of the same architecture as a Defender. Or get a RRC - my brother in law has one and I grin every time I see it - they are cool trucks. To be honest RRC's are more rare in my area than Defenders so it stands out more at least to me.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:57 AM
IvanKV's Avatar
IvanKV
Status: Offline
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 227
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Save up a few grand.

Tell pops you are done with the Toy and he can have it back or you can sell it and give him the proceeds

Buy an OBD 1 Disco 1, strip the interior, pull the AC (if it's not already broken) and get one with leaky sunroofs and you essentially have a Defender 100 SW for $2k. Drive it, fix it, wheel it and save for a Defender 200tdi when they can come over in a few years.

The Disco is a classic Green Oval with much of the same architecture as a Defender. Or get a RRC - my brother in law has one and I grin every time I see it - they are cool trucks. To be honest RRC's are more rare in my area than Defenders so it stands out more at least to me.
OBD?
Why a D1 over a DII?
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:01 PM
kellykortman
Status: Offline
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: kingston, wa
Posts: 148
Registry
we now have enough material to write the book, "what to expect when you are expecting to purchase a defender".

But today, I've decided to take a risk, and wear a new sweater. It was sent to me by a recovering sex addict, Melissa D., who knitted it herself; she said it gave her something to do with her hands.

Because what they say is true - it's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the whole world.


~Stuart Smalley
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:06 PM
IvanKV's Avatar
IvanKV
Status: Offline
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 227
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykortman View Post
we now have enough material to write the book, "what to expect when you are expecting to purchase a defender".

But today, I've decided to take a risk, and wear a new sweater. It was sent to me by a recovering sex addict, Melissa D., who knitted it herself; she said it gave her something to do with her hands.

Because what they say is true - it's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the whole world.


~Stuart Smalley
Yea I have little to no to mild allusions as to what Defender ownership will be like.
That being said, if I swap the 2.5TD for a 200/300TDI or wait for one to come into my price range; what are other major failures that occur.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:13 PM
kellykortman
Status: Offline
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: kingston, wa
Posts: 148
Registry
Someone here said it best in their tagline, "Land Rovers, a collection of parts generally travelling in the same direction." And it's true, The only thing I have not replaced on my defender is the frame, axles, dashboard and body panels (one of which had to be painted). So what can go wrong? Everything, just hopefully not at the same time. If you are an OCD perfectionist like I am then when you aren't doing repairs you will be doing upgrades and restorations which is way more fun. I will say this, I've only had to fix the same part one time, I'm on my 3rd oil pump, my original on purchase was replaced when I bought my new engine, then it failed again. I take pleasure in knowing that I'm literally driving a brand new defender in most respects.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:16 PM
IvanKV's Avatar
IvanKV
Status: Offline
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 227
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykortman View Post
Someone here said it best in their tagline, "Land Rovers, a collection of parts generally travelling in the same direction." And it's true, The only thing I have not replaced on my defender is the frame, axles, dashboard and body panels (one of which had to be painted). So what can go wrong? Everything, just hopefully not at the same time. If you are an OCD perfectionist like I am then when you aren't doing repairs you will be doing upgrades and restorations which is way more fun. I will say this, I've only had to fix the same part one time, I'm on my 3rd oil pump, my original on purchase was replaced when I bought my new engine, then it failed again. I take pleasure in knowing that I'm literally driving a brand new defender in most respects.
That is good information. While I am still heavily leaning D90/110 I will look to see if there are any Disco with M/T
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:17 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,526
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKV View Post
if I swap the 2.5TD for a 200/300TDI or wait for one to come into my price range; what are other major failures that occur.
Major failures:

LT230 failure
LT77 failure
Injector failure
Injection Pump failure
Timing belt

Other common "major" problems:

Bad frame rust
Bad bulkhead rust
Bad door frame rust

Then there is a long list of nickel and dime stuff that you will need to budget ~$1000 to fix on any old truck.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:24 PM
IvanKV's Avatar
IvanKV
Status: Offline
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 227
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Major failures:

LT230 failure
LT77 failure
Injector failure
Injection Pump failure
Timing belt

Other common "major" problems:

Bad frame rust
Bad bulkhead rust
Bad door frame rust

Then there is a long list of nickel and dime stuff that you will need to budget ~$1000 to fix on any old truck.
Okay
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:39 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,271
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKV View Post
OBD?
Why a D1 over a DII?
D1 over a D2 because the chassis and running gear are almost identical to a Defender at least on the NAS 90's. I'm using Disco 1 axles and steering components when I rebuild my '86 110, for example.

OBD I over OBD II as I feel it's a little less complex and cheaper overall. You will have issues with it but there is an absolute shit-ton written about those setups and plenty of 14CUX (OBDI) wizards on here. The only this is I think that would keep it to only the '94 and '95 model years. And if a good '96-'99.5 Disco I was found I wouldn't dismiss it.

I am not sure what your $$$ amount is, but I'd cut my teeth in Rover ownership on a cheap Disco all the while saving and looking for a decent Defender. A '94/'95 NAS D90 might be able to found for a decent money that will need some TLC. You will have a good understanding of the NAS D90 from owning a Disco. I think ob2sea (Bill) said it best: the Rover finds you not the other way around. After driving a Disco for a while the right Defender will find you.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:45 PM
IvanKV's Avatar
IvanKV
Status: Offline
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 227
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
D1 over a D2 because the chassis and running gear are almost identical to a Defender at least on the NAS 90's. I'm using Disco 1 axles and steering components when I rebuild my '86 110, for example.

OBD I over OBD II as I feel it's a little less complex and cheaper overall. You will have issues with it but there is an absolute shit-ton written about those setups and plenty of 14CUX (OBDI) wizards on here. The only this is I think that would keep it to only the '94 and '95 model years. And if a good '96-'99.5 Disco I was found I wouldn't dismiss it.

I am not sure what your $$$ amount is, but I'd cut my teeth in Rover ownership on a cheap Disco all the while saving and looking for a decent Defender. A '94/'95 NAS D90 might be able to found for a decent money that will need some TLC. You will have a good understanding of the NAS D90 from owning a Disco. I think ob2sea (Bill) said it best: the Rover finds you not the other way around. After driving a Disco for a while the right Defender will find you.
On the hunt for both a Defender and a Disco. M/T disco are hard to come buy.

So far on my list are:
1) D90
2) D90
3) Disco
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:56 PM
taoseno's Avatar
taoseno
Status: Offline
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Taos, NM
Posts: 324
Registry
They are who we thought they were..........
Dennis Green
__________________
Todd
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:57 PM
IvanKV's Avatar
IvanKV
Status: Offline
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 227
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by taoseno View Post
They are who we thought they were..........
Dennis Green
? I do not follow, who is Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old September 5th, 2013, 01:05 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,271
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKV View Post
On the hunt for both a Defender and a Disco. M/T disco are hard to come buy.

So far on my list are:
1) D90
2) D90
3) Disco
The 90's look really clean/nice.

A diesel Disco is a very cool and all but I'd be wary for a first time Rover buyer. It would seem like it would be a hard sell in the future where as the Defenders would hold value better.

I was thinking more cheap on the Disco, that was kind of the point, you wouldn't be into it for much but have a great learning platform. This one has Wolfs and an ARB bumper and looks straight for under $3k. http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/4025283829.html
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old September 5th, 2013, 01:09 PM
IvanKV's Avatar
IvanKV
Status: Offline
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 227
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
The 90's look really clean/nice.

A diesel Disco is a very cool and all but I'd be wary for a first time Rover buyer. It would seem like it would be a hard sell in the future where as the Defenders would hold value better.

I was thinking more cheap on the Disco, that was kind of the point, you wouldn't be into it for much but have a great learning platform. This one has Wolfs and an ARB bumper and looks straight for under $3k. http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/4025283829.html
The D90's are very nice, I am trying to get them down on prices. I like the Disco because it is diesel and M/T.
The one you sent me is great, I saved it and may give him a ring but the A/T is a turn off for me.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old September 5th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Offline
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,765
I endorse the D1 idea. Works perfectly as a low cost way of getting a near Defender experience.
Says he who had a D1 then used its mechanical bits to resurrect a series
__________________
A friend of mine runs a land rover / range rover specialty repair shop. Based on his experience, they are capable of stopping anywhere, anytime, at any cost.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Defender Registry Questions Andy R Misc. Chit-Chat 39 February 16th, 2012 08:50 PM
2007 Defender details announced Kev Baldwin Misc. Chit-Chat 17 August 22nd, 2006 09:01 PM
Defender Oil Cooler Status Poll: Please Read. Hans Misc. Chit-Chat 4 March 12th, 2006 10:49 PM
1997 Defender 90 SW for sale by original owner Defender-90 For Sale - Vehicles 5 June 17th, 2005 09:13 PM
Thinking of selling my Defender...Help! boshea Misc. Chit-Chat 15 February 17th, 2004 01:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.


Copyright