My First Defender Questions - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:39 PM
tomaco1's Avatar
tomaco1
Status: Offline
T.mac
83 110
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,692
Registry
Make sure the mail order bride is all original, you don't want her stopped at the port.
Have the work done over here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykortman View Post
Right now I'm trying to go the "pretty woman" route, you know, find a young, Julia Roberts type, hooker with a heart of gold and then sweep her off her feet and make an honest woman out of her, that or a Russian mail order bride. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Sorry that this thread turned into a dating advice venue. haha.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #62  
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:43 PM
IvanKV's Avatar
IvanKV
Status: Offline
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 227
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
Make sure the mail order bride is all original, you don't want her stopped at the port.
Have the work done over here.
I really had no idea how prevalent Defenders were on LI. I am from the Dix Hills and have only seen this yellow soft top one. But I come here and there are so many of you!
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:58 PM
BlackField's Avatar
BlackField
Status: Offline
Oscar
D110
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
4) The likelihood you will get a girl pregnant in the back of a Defender is practically zero
Because your sperm count is 0 from hot hot engine heat on your balls all day.
__________________
Lemmings as you know them are a Disney fabricated lie. The truth is out there.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #64  
Old September 4th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Offline
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
Make sure the mail order bride is all original, you don't want her stopped at the port.
Have the work done over here.
Make sure she's imported through Charlestown. That way she 'll get power washed until she's clean and any after market parts like dentures will be removed and crushed.
__________________
A friend of mine runs a land rover / range rover specialty repair shop. Based on his experience, they are capable of stopping anywhere, anytime, at any cost.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:05 PM
kellykortman
Status: Offline
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: kingston, wa
Posts: 148
Registry
And definitely purchase a AAA roadside assistance policy. I get four free a year and end up using most of them. Things just happen. You lose a belt, your coil goes bad, when that one wire to your fuel pump shorts out, etc. keep fuses with you, buy a rebuilt alternator and keep it in the box in the back of your truck, sew a quarter into your girlfriends bra so you can call AAA as more often then not you will be out of cell range when this thing dies. Most days I'm happy that my car runs long enough to drive it into the repair shop.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Daddymow's Avatar
Daddymow
Status: Offline
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stuart, FL / Boone, NC
Posts: 3,970
Registry
"Just date down a few notches, date an understanding 7 rather than a high maintenance dime, no man can handle two things that are high maintenance at the same time."[/QUOTE]


Classic! And so true. Ivan, I would look at getting a Tithonus ExMoD 110 I love mine and really have had very few problems to sort out considering it is a 25 year old vehicle. The upgraded seats, roll cage and other bits are well worth it. My 2 cents.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:18 PM
kellykortman
Status: Offline
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: kingston, wa
Posts: 148
Registry
Quote: This question is also like asking how long an engine will run for or how hot Miley Cyrus is. Way too many variables.

Answers to those questions.

Your engine will run for approximately 5,000 more miles from the date of purchase (from my personal experience)

Hannah Montana was a solid 9. Miley Cyrus was an 8 until she developed a condition where she cannot seem to keep her tongue in her mouth for longer than 5 seconds (kinda like my labs when I ask them if they want to go for a walk), got that transvestite hairdo and starting spending her time trying to find new ways to expose her cameltoe to the world. Now she's a 6.5.

Just think a New York guy, rolling around Norman Oklahoma in a Land Rover with a Dad who has an American Express black card. You'll be unstoppable kid! When you buy it post lots of pics so we can all live vicariously through you.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:19 PM
SMac's Avatar
SMac
Status: Offline
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
"Just date down a few notches, date an understanding 7 rather than a high maintenance dime, no man can handle two things that are high maintenance at the same time."


lol x2. Best line I've read on the Source.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:50 PM
IvanKV's Avatar
IvanKV
Status: Offline
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 227
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykortman View Post
Quote: This question is also like asking how long an engine will run for or how hot Miley Cyrus is. Way too many variables.

Answers to those questions.

Your engine will run for approximately 5,000 more miles from the date of purchase (from my personal experience)

Hannah Montana was a solid 9. Miley Cyrus was an 8 until she developed a condition where she cannot seem to keep her tongue in her mouth for longer than 5 seconds (kinda like my labs when I ask them if they want to go for a walk), got that transvestite hairdo and starting spending her time trying to find new ways to expose her cameltoe to the world. Now she's a 6.5.

Just think a New York guy, rolling around Norman Oklahoma in a Land Rover with a Dad who has an American Express black card. You'll be unstoppable kid! When you buy it post lots of pics so we can all live vicariously through you.
1) she is a 4
2) I actually laughed out loud
3) It is a great card......
4) I will post tons of pictures so ya'll can do just that!!
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:52 PM
nathanwind's Avatar
nathanwind
Status: Offline
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saratoga NY
Posts: 8,741
Registry
Great thread . Hell man, I say go for it - everyone should own or drive a car older than they are. If I was doing it all over again, and was in college, I'd drive a friggin' Series. Getting to your destination would always be an adventure.

I spent the last year and a half daily driving a Defender and loved it, though admittedly I recently went back to a "normal" car and it is sort of nice to have AC that works and be able to talk on the phone. On many occasions I still drive - for a decent distance - cars that are from the '70s, and it's fun as hell.

I say throw caution to the wind and buy it - you're young, enjoy it while you can, and it'll add some spice into your life. Plus, you'll learn how to fix all sorts of shit on these cars by owning one - you can skip taking the auto shop class at college!
__________________
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Daddymow's Avatar
Daddymow
Status: Offline
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stuart, FL / Boone, NC
Posts: 3,970
Registry
I say go for it! I drove an old (pos) BMW 2002 in college - loved that thing!
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:16 PM
IvanKV's Avatar
IvanKV
Status: Offline
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 227
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Great thread . Hell man, I say go for it - everyone should own or drive a car older than they are. If I was doing it all over again, and was in college, I'd drive a friggin' Series. Getting to your destination would always be an adventure.

I spent the last year and a half daily driving a Defender and loved it, though admittedly I recently went back to a "normal" car and it is sort of nice to have AC that works and be able to talk on the phone. On many occasions I still drive - for a decent distance - cars that are from the '70s, and it's fun as hell.

I say throw caution to the wind and buy it - you're young, enjoy it while you can, and it'll add some spice into your life. Plus, you'll learn how to fix all sorts of shit on these cars by owning one - you can skip taking the auto shop class at college!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I say go for it! I drove an old (pos) BMW 2002 in college - loved that thing!
This is the excitement I am looking for!
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:04 AM
IvanKV's Avatar
IvanKV
Status: Offline
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 227
Registry
Smile Round 2 with parents was a success!

Okay I spoke with my parents about my hopes and dreams of a Defender....
They of course were not pleased, this was just round 2, the fight is not over yet.
They said my monthly stipend is not to be touched for the Defender or its "inevitable" repairs. They said they would pay for the insurance if it happens to be less than the FJC and the $100/week I get for random spending(partying) could be used for the Defenders repair bills.
So0o I figure if I walk away from the FJC with $750 + $100/week + ~400/mo(job) I should be able to handle some repairs, assuming they don't add up too quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:09 AM
kellykortman
Status: Offline
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: kingston, wa
Posts: 148
Registry
Now the only thing you have to ask yourself is, "What will I do when I get my first 3k repair bill." If you have an answer to that question then proceed.

I also cannot tell you how many times I paid big $ to fix my Defender with the sole thought that upon repair I was putting it up for sale only to get it fixed and fall back in love again and opt out of selling it.

The good news is that your Defender can rise in value over time due to rarity, your Toyota will almost surely depreciate. And you might get lucky and get a rig that will have few problems. This does happen for some people.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old September 5th, 2013, 01:34 AM
ontheway's Avatar
ontheway
Status: Offline
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 1,158
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVANVK
Okay I spoke with my parents about my hopes and dreams of a Defender....
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVANVK
3) I(my dad) pay ~$170/month on the FJ. Under 25 and a speeding ticket through a school zone
3) I don't pay for maintenance, but I think it is like $500/year, maybe less unlikely more
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Ok, we're talkin to the wrong guy. Get your Dad on here......
This thread is out of control. If I didn't know better, I'd think 'troll'.

Everyone: For the sake of Ivan's parents, please stop enabling this idea of instant gratification by encouraging the purchase of a Defender. They'd thank you if they could I'm sure.


Ivan:
At first glance, it was easy to support a young man who wanted to work through college and scrap and save to also drive a Defender. Then it became apparent that your ''hopes and dreams'' rely on the financial support of your parents. I'm surprised you are exploring this, yet you don't know what 'dad' pays for the maintenance on your current truck? You don't pay your own insurance even though you sped in a school zone?

Finish your fifth year of college. Get a decent job. Work. Save money. When you can afford it, drive whatever you want. I imagine mom and dad are paying for college. Do right by them -- focus on finishing your degree and getting out from under their protective umbrella. They may not thank you for it -- but they'll surely appreciate it. And they'll feel good about the man you've become.

Using your 'safety net' should be your last option in all cases. Especially don't put yourself in a situation where it is more likely.

Follow some of the wise advice on this board -- keep researching in your spare time, but keep what you have. Someone mentioned throwing caution to the wind when young... I don't think this applies in your case.
__________________
1986 Land Rover 110 SW
1995 Land Rover Disco (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:07 AM
IvanKV's Avatar
IvanKV
Status: Offline
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 227
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
This thread is out of control. If I didn't know better, I'd think 'troll'.

Everyone: For the sake of Ivan's parents, please stop enabling this idea of instant gratification by encouraging the purchase of a Defender. They'd thank you if they could I'm sure.


Ivan:
At first glance, it was easy to support a young man who wanted to work through college and scrap and save to also drive a Defender. Then it became apparent that your ''hopes and dreams'' rely on the financial support of your parents. You don't even know what 'dad' pays for the maintenance on your current truck? You don't pay your own insurance even though you sped in a school zone? If I was given a speeding ticket in a school with my folks paying for my insurance, you better believe I would have been riding a bike or paying the increased cost. What does your job pay for?

Have you read an article about 'millennials' recently? Common theme: instant gratification.

Finish your fifth year of college. Get a job. Work. Save money. When you can afford it, drive whatever you want. I imagine mom and dad are paying for college. Do right by them -- focus on finishing your degree and getting out from under their protective umbrella. They may not thank you for it -- but they'll surely appreciate it. And they'll feel good about the man you've become.

Using your 'safety net' should be your last option in all cases -- out of pride as a man alone. Especially don't put yourself in a situation where your parents will most likely foot the bill when that first maintenance bill comes through because you can't wrench on it yourself.

Follow some of the wise advice on this board -- keep researching in your spare time, but keep what you have. Someone mentioned throwing caution to the wind when young... I don't think this applies in your case.

1) This tread is amazing
2) I don't like you anymore.....
3) I am not rushing into anything. I have the ability to stop and think about what I am doing. If I find a good-great condition Defender, keep saving my weekly spending allowance + money from work, and great a great price for my FJ, and I feel I can support it I will move forward. I have gotten great advice, I now have an idea of what to expect and what to look for(the reason I made this thread). As the process moves forward I will keep ya'll updated.
4) "Hopes and Dreams" was meant to be humorous...
5) Insurance is roughly 170/mo
6) I have no idea what we pay to maintain the FJC, but this is something I can find out rather quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:09 AM
ontheway's Avatar
ontheway
Status: Offline
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 1,158
Registry
Good luck.
__________________
1986 Land Rover 110 SW
1995 Land Rover Disco (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:10 AM
IvanKV's Avatar
IvanKV
Status: Offline
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 227
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Good luck.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old September 5th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Daddymow's Avatar
Daddymow
Status: Offline
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stuart, FL / Boone, NC
Posts: 3,970
Registry
"2) I don't like you anymore....." Really? What, for giving you good, sound advice? Enjoy squandering daddy's money. And, just maybe, owning a truck like this will help you grow from a child to a young man. Oh and by the way when I had my old BMW 2002 in school I was paying my own way. I worked a full time job and went to school full time and graduated with zero debt. So it was MY money I was wasting on a POS BMW not daddy's. Maybe your dad didn't have to work for the money he is sending you to school with but if he did, you might respect the labor and sacrifice he made for you to be so fortunate. I then wised up and got a Honda Civic. Good luck.

Raub

P.S. I wouldn't piss off the people on this board who contain the wealth of knowledge you will surley need in order to make an old shit box Rover run down the road on even a part time basis.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old September 5th, 2013, 09:37 AM
IvanKV's Avatar
IvanKV
Status: Offline
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 227
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
"2) I don't like you anymore....." Really? What, for giving you good, sound advice? Enjoy squandering daddy's money. And, just maybe, owning a truck like this will help you grow from a child to a young man. Oh and by the way when I had my old BMW 2002 in school I was paying my own way. I worked a full time job and went to school full time and graduated with zero debt. So it was MY money I was wasting on a POS BMW not daddy's. Maybe your dad didn't have to work for the money he is sending you to school with but if he did, you might respect the labor and sacrifice he made for you to be so fortunate. I then wised up and got a Honda Civic. Good luck.

Raub

P.S. I wouldn't piss off the people on this board who contain the wealth of knowledge you will surley need in order to make an old shit box Rover run down the road on even a part time basis.
Wow the mood on this thread changed quickly....
I clearly forgot how a playful statement's intention could be lost over the internet. 'I don't like you anymore...' is not meant to be a serious statement. I was playing at the rapid change of mood he cause by bring us back to seriousness....

I also thought I made it clear that I was hear to get good advice on Defenders and ownership. Why else would I post.

And since when did lack of knowledge of my father's financial systems mean I have no respect for him, his hard work and his money. I have had bad spending habits, but I wised up, I am not my younger sisters who see something they want and throw a fit til the get it.
I also thought I mentioned earlier in this thread that any repair work would be paid for by me; whether my parents paid for it upfront or not, you better be damn sure I would pay it back ASAP. The thought of just using them for this bothers me, I used to do that and my sisters still do, I have immense respect for my father's hard work in a dying field of business just to give us the life we are accustomed to. I have no idea why lack of knowledge means disrespect... And Yes my dad paid my way through college(year 1-4) but this 5th year and honestly maybe an extra semester I am taking out loans.

And to your 'P.S.' statement: How am I pissing people off by asking questions and having a good time doing so?

Like I said earlier, I have been on the hunt for about 3-4months, as much as I would love a Defender right now, I am fully aware of the risks hence I don't have one yet.... When the right one comes along at the right time(hopefully soon) then I will go for it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Defender Registry Questions Andy R Misc. Chit-Chat 39 February 16th, 2012 08:50 PM
2007 Defender details announced Kev Baldwin Misc. Chit-Chat 17 August 22nd, 2006 09:01 PM
Defender Oil Cooler Status Poll: Please Read. Hans Misc. Chit-Chat 4 March 12th, 2006 10:49 PM
1997 Defender 90 SW for sale by original owner Defender-90 For Sale - Vehicles 5 June 17th, 2005 09:13 PM
Thinking of selling my Defender...Help! boshea Misc. Chit-Chat 15 February 17th, 2004 01:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.


Copyright