My First Defender Questions - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2013, 11:52 AM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Women will avoid your Defender like the plague.

Ask yourself if that's what you really want to ride in as a dude in college.
lmao why's that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2013, 11:53 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Women will avoid your Defender like the plague.

Ask yourself if that's what you really want to ride in as a dude in college.
Tru Dat. You'll end up taking your seat box out for drinks sooner or later...

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:55 AM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
I bought my d-90 in 2006 for KBB of 28k. Blew engine in 2008 (12k), transmission failed in 2012 (3500k), brakes failed, most or all starting components failed, I'm on my 3rd oil pump, new fuel pump, new radiator (preventative), new exhaust system, wiring issues galore, so even without all the bling I have on my car (sic) I'm still about 27k (almost what I paid for the rig itself) deep just on maintenance. I believe that all these 20 year old D-90's are just at that point where everything simply fails due to either planned obsolescence or wear and tear or for sitting too long and as a result miles don't matter, if you have found a rig with a rebuilt engine from 20k ago that's your best bet, a rich understanding father might also be helpful or a giant line of credit at a bank, perhaps an advance on an inheritance or learning how to count cards and then going to Vegas but currently your savings are not enough, beyond that, buy a cheap second car just in case like a bulletproof Nissan or Toyota so you have something to drive while the Defender is in the shop or being looked at by your frat buddy. I've broken down in small towns where they don't know a thing about these cars and oftentimes you find yourself towing your rig to far off destinations and big cities with land rover dealerships.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2013, 11:59 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykortman View Post
I bought my d-90 in 2006 for KBB of 28k. Blew engine in 2008 (12k), transmission failed in 2012 (3500k), brakes failed, most or all starting components failed, I'm on my 3rd oil pump, new fuel pump, new radiator (preventative), new exhaust system, wiring issues galore, so even without all the bling I have on my car (sic) I'm still about 27k (almost what I paid for the rig itself) deep just on maintenance. I believe that all these 20 year old D-90's are just at that point where everything simply fails due to either planned obsolescence or wear and tear or for sitting too long and as a result miles don't matter, if you have found a rig with a rebuilt engine from 20k ago that's your best bet, a rich understanding father might also be helpful or a giant line of credit at a bank, perhaps an advance on an inheritance or learning how to count cards and then going to Vegas but currently your savings are not enough, beyond that, buy a cheap second car just in case like a bulletproof Nissan or Toyota so you have something to drive while the Defender is in the shop or being looked at by your frat buddy. I've broken down in small towns where they don't know a thing about these cars and oftentimes you find yourself towing your rig to far off destinations and big cities with land rover dealerships.
No. Just find a girl (or boy) friend that has a good car. Sorted.
If I had the chance and means to be a LRO in my early life I woulda. Don't miss out. Do it.

1968 2A 88

Old September 4th, 2013, 12:11 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
my x girlfriend found herself picking me up from garages all over Seattle and when she wasn't doing that she was somewhere out in the woods getting stranded with me. while she loved the defender she also begged me on at least 5 occasions to sell that "friggin POS". At the end of the day I had a choice to make, her or the Defender, the Defender won and I don't think anybody will ever feel that way about their Toyota. So maybe you should buy it. Just date down a few notches, date an understanding 7 rather than a high maintenance dime, no man can handle two things that are high maintenance at the same time.
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:16 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Kelly Kelly Kelly. They are out there, believe me.
I married a girl who has purchased two Land Rovers for me; the 2A Station Wagon, and one of my Range Rover LWBs. Both were surprise gifts. I am trying to be worthy.
It'll happen for you too, I'm sure.

1968 2A 88

Old September 4th, 2013, 12:22 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
Right now I'm trying to go the "pretty woman" route, you know, find a young, Julia Roberts type, hooker with a heart of gold and then sweep her off her feet and make an honest woman out of her, that or a Russian mail order bride. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Sorry that this thread turned into a dating advice venue. haha.
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:23 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykortman View Post
Just date down a few notches, date an understanding 7 rather than a high maintenance dime, no man can handle two things that are high maintenance at the same time.
x2. Date down a few notches, but also make sure she has a sizable inheritance coming her way since understanding can only go so far.
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:23 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Ed, you haven't had your windshield covered in panties when you go out and about? Maybe you should have gone with singe stage nonmetallic paint.
You tell me about this now after my truck is all painted...
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:27 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Haha this thread is priceless.

You know what, I'm going to recant and say go for it!
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:28 PM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
last thing and I'm off to work, do you see that picture of that big stack of maintenance papers on the ebay sales page for that car? my guess is that is just his stack from 2012.

Old September 4th, 2013, 12:37 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Haha this thread is priceless.

You know what, I'm going to recant and say go for it!
Hell yeah!!!
If my friend gives the all clear and I get the 22.5k for my FJC, I will!

P.S. All of you Toyota lovers here want mine?
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:47 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
I was working on and flipping late model sports cars and bikes through college for side money and fun. There was always some car/bike project at my off campus flop house to the point my mom thought I was going to fail out of school. But whenever some girl would come up to me with “oh, you are the guy with the _____”, I would look the otherway. My old faithful and favorite ride was a 76’ F-100. It was important to me that the potential GF was good with my truck before introducing her to and venturing out in something else. Guess times are different these days. It is almost like these graduating HS kids are“entitled” to a new BMW or similar.

If the Defender represents who you are, then go for it. But learn how to wrench --girls like that in a man.
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:57 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I was working on and flipping late model sports cars and bikes through college for side money and fun. There was always some car/bike project at my off campus flop house to the point my mom thought I was going to fail out of school. But whenever some girl would come up to me with “oh, you are the guy with the _____”, I would look the otherway. My old faithful and favorite ride was a 76’ F-100. It was important to me that the potential GF was good with my truck before introducing her to and venturing out in something else. Guess times are different these days. It is almost like these graduating HS kids are“entitled” to a new BMW or similar.

If the Defender represents who you are, then go for it. But learn how to wrench --girls like that in a man.
I needed a car to move around Norman and I always wanted a Defender, but I though they were impossible to find. My dad being a Toyota man(he has never owned on, only German for him, but he has always heard of the reliability[and he thinks they look cool]) decided to get me the FJC. He was happy, and to the extent that a kid whose parents just bought him a car could be I was too. The FJC is an amazing car don't get me wrong. But it is not me.

I think I will go Defender, and yes I will learn how to wrench.
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:07 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
If we're going to make this about women in college... sell the toyota and buy a motorcycle. Preferably vintage.

Old September 4th, 2013, 01:07 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Kelly Kelly Kelly. They are out there, believe me.
I married a girl who has purchased two Land Rovers for me; the 2A Station Wagon, and one of my Range Rover LWBs. Both were surprise gifts. I am trying to be worthy.
It'll happen for you too, I'm sure.
I'm lucky to be in your boat!! My girlfriend bought our NAS 110...but I'm the wrench who's been maintaining it ever since!

In Alaska , there are a lot of girls that love these sort of rigs, so you just have to keep your eyes peeled...

As far as having one of these while in college, and as a daily driver...so far, you've gotten a LOT of really good advice here! We bought ours from a reputable guy and have still spent several thousand dollars during the last year or so (some for improvements and some to keep it on the road)! My suggestion is to have another daily driver (maybe a little Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic) when you do get the Defender too...as soon as you can afford to do that, then jump on it! We don't rely on ours for anything, but fun...that said, we've taken it on a 5,000 mile road trip and didn't get stranded, but that still isn't daily driving and having to rely on it, no matter what, to get us to/from our work and chores!!

Stay on here for a while and keep a good watch on the threads that pop up on maintenance and such, then go out and buy one when you're really comfortable with having one - Financially and having a good back up car...then go for it!!
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:22 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I would not enjoy driving the roads in OK that you are talking about. Most of the turnpikes are 80 mph.... Try that in a 2.5 with the winds they have in Oklahoma. With a tail wind you might be in ok shape to not cause problems on the roads.
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:31 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I would not enjoy driving the roads in OK that you are talking about. Most of the turnpikes are 80 mph.... Try that in a 2.5 with the winds they have in Oklahoma. With a tail wind you might be in ok shape to not cause problems on the roads.
Well if I am being honest, I rarely go above 70ish in my FJ. The fuel economy plummets after 70-75ish.
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKV View Post
Well if I am being honest, I rarely go above 70ish in my FJ. The fuel economy plummets after 70-75ish.
70 will probably be struggle
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:40 PM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Its all about perspective. You'll dream about 60 in a NA diesel.

-Jeff
That's why I am looking at a 2.5TD, and the moment I have the cash I will swap it for a TDI

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender