My First D-90 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 7th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

I had a very difficult time find one that was in good shape. When I spoke to the sellers on the phone, they stated that the trucks in great shape...yada yada yada, only to test drive it, finding out it wasn't in the shape I had hoped for. I had many dissapointments, but I didn't let it stop me. I found mine on autotrader.com I am happy with my purchace and glad that I didn't settle for something that I wasn't comfortable with.

If you happen to find one of interest that is not local to you, there might be a D-90 Source member local to the truck that could give an unbiased opinion on it...my 2 cents...

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Ray Bone
Ray Bone
defender.

shopping

i bought mine on Ebay, it took me well over 8 months, its like hunting, when you see what you want, you take action and make a deal and go home with the truck r. Shop around first! you will be surprise what you can find and the price too. I met the dude from copley, nice guy, nice trucks too, almost bought one from him, but it was a over my budget, but i found my SW from ebay 2 weeks later.
I love my truck.

good luck

Bone
Old December 7th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

I had a really good experience with Stuart at Copley. I was looking for over 1 year and was in contact with Stuart inquiring about his D-90 st listings. He was very honest , informative and low key. My sister lives in Boston so I stopped by a few times and he was always accomodating even though I wasn't ready to buy. I finally bought a 97 black st and feel I got a very good deal (certainly not the asking price) I have since had the guys at ECR modify the truck a bit job #187 on their website and it looks and drives like a dream.

One thing I have to say about Stuart is after we arrived at the sales price, he sent my D-90 to the garage he works with and these guys went over it with a fine tooth comb replaced brake pads, oil change etc and even replaced the exhaust, and installed the quick nuts for the door tops. It was over $800 worth of work and I wasn't charged a dime...This was a nice service and totally unexpected and I felt a nice gesture on Stuart's part. He also got a good delivery price through one of the companies he works with.

He has a good selection and a solid reputation and he is as enthusiastic about Defenders as the rest of us His prices might be a little higher, but you know he isn't going to burn you.

my 2 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Smile

My D110 I just bought was my fourth Defender. I bought it from a guy in TN. I asked for detailed photos and list of answers to questions I had prepared. I flew to Nashville on South West ($120) and met him there. I test drove the truck and confirmed his answers to my questions. Once all was satisfied I gave him a check from Capital One. It took me a year to find a D110 that met my qualifications. If you want my list of questions just ask. If you need to finance the Defender go to Capital One because they do not care what year your car or truck is.

Worst case scenario is you fly in and do not buy the Defender. You are out $$ a return flight home. Piece of mind is cheap...
Best case you have piece of mind and the D you want.
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old December 7th, 2006, 06:55 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

I second what Mike has to say. I would be more than happy to go look at any truck in my town (of course we live in pretty much the same place). I had a very positive experience in dealing with Stuart, but I had been looking on and off for quite some time and had a 90 before. One word of cuation is that one mans trash is another mans treasure. I love my 110 and it has plenty of blems, some folks who have seen it think it is a rolling pile of poo, but I dont think I would have it any other way.
Old December 7th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Sounds like my experience with Stuart was an isolated one, then, which is good news!
Old December 7th, 2006, 09:38 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweaver
anybody buy from the boys in birmingham?
I also got my '97 form the guys at landroversforsale.com. My experience with them was real nice and I would not hesitate to buy another from them. Father and son operation and they were super accommodating.

I flew in, they pulled up to the curb, in the truck I was to be buying, just as I came out of the doors of the airport, had a nice BBQ lunch and then head over to the shop where both of them spent many hours going over my truck with me as well as talking and looking over the other trucks they had.

An oversight I made when inspecting the truck was that I didn't fully check the spare tire and turned out, it couldn't hold air. Luckily, this was not an issue on the drive back to Austin TX so it was OK for me since I was going to put 5 new tires on it. The other was that one of the rear shocks was seized. Again this went un-nocticed on highway driving until after I had returned and was putting my modified shock mounts on. I had a follow up call with them once I found out about the spare just to inform them to make sure they check that more closely on trucks people will be driving off with.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 7th, 2006, 09:47 PM
weissbrewer
Stephen Johnson
94 AA D90

truck shopping

Try Sue at Park city 4x4 classics, she was real cool to deal with and also will stand by her product.

1982 Series 3 HCPU gone but missed
Old December 8th, 2006, 06:01 PM
redrockrover
Russell Phillips
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
"and ever more rare than an LE, like a Red 97 station wagon. "

Why did I even mention this a few years back. Now all the red SW owners are high and mighty.

If you want true NAS D90 rarity try to find the rioja 97 SW or one of the four hella edition 94s (orange, arizona blue, lazer red, and java green).

The Java Green one is in Provo, Utah. It has changed hands several times. Still looks good.

Russ

'94 AA Yellow
# 891
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

I bought my '97 ST on Ebay sight unseen.

Here is how I handled it:
It was being sold by a used car company. I contacted them and talked with their one guy who knew quite a bit about D-90s. he forwarded me additional pix of specific items I requested.

I spoke to the manager of the place and we came to the following agreement:
I will bid on the vehicle.When I win they will immediately send the vehicle to the local LR dealership for an inspection. The LR manager would make the call as to whether or not I was to buy it. (If he made a no buy recommend then I would not be obligated...if he made a buy recommendation then I would be obligated)I spoke to the service manager at the LR dealer and explained to him that I would be paying the $100 or so for the inspection so he needed to be clear on the fact that he is working for me...not the dealer bringing it in.

The auction went on....I won. They took it to the LR dealer and the dealer made a buy recommendation. He did find that it needed rear rotors replaced on the brakes to be safe but otherwise only had little BS issues that i could deal with myself effectively.

I immediately fedexed a check for $3,000 to the salesmanager so he knew I was legit and that my wife and I would be arriving by plane in a few days with the rest of the money.

We got there and I did an inspection of the vehicle. The brakes had been rebuilt in the rear and it met all of my expectations. I gave him the rest of the money and we were off.

Dealing with an established company this seems OK to do it this way. Buying from an individual though it might be a bit scary to forward a $3,000 deposit. If I had known about the D-90 forum at the time I would have asked someone to go do a preliminary look over for me before engaging in the dealings with the used car dealer. I have found the people on this forum to be very honest people and a pleasure to deal with on all levels. I have no doubt someone would be happy to do this. I know I would. (For a few beers) ;0)

Larry
Old December 11th, 2006, 09:48 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

If you got the time, you ain't got the money. If you got the money, you ain't got the time. Same is true for buying a 90. If money is no object, call Copley up and go pick out your new d90. If you don't mind looking around and want to save a few thousand dollars, watch ebay, autotrader and this forum.

I personally enjoy the hunt for a good 90. I have owned 5 defenders, which I have purchased all over the US. I made a plane trip to see all of them before handing over the money. My idea of a clean and rust free truck might differ from someone elses opinon. IMO, it is a small price to pay for a large investment.

This forum is a great tool. The members here can pretty much tell you anything about any defender. I would recommend using this resource to locate a quality d90.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase.
Old December 11th, 2006, 09:48 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
If you happen to find one of interest that is not local to you, there might be a D-90 Source member local to the truck that could give an unbiased opinion on it...my 2 cents...
Never under estimate the generosity of people in the Land Rover community (especially those on this board). I'd gladly go look at one in my area for you, as I'm sure a bunch of other guys would in theirs.
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt
Never under estimate the generosity of people in the Land Rover community (especially those on this board). I'd gladly go look at one in my area for you, as I'm sure a bunch of other guys would in theirs.
If there is a D90 for sale around the 'nati (that's Cincinnati for you folks) I'll be glad to have a look. I charge 1 pint of Guinness per mile ;-)

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

8 months of research. Inspected and drove every one I could get my hands on. Learned something IMPORTANT every time. Had some of the best advisers in the D-90 world at my disposal. (Thank you Keith! - Rover Tracks) Walked in to my deal with open eyes. Seller was AMAZED at how many things I found (Obvious if you study first). Found close to $5000. in needed repairs. AND I still had it inspected before I bought it. AND there was still stuff wrong that I didn't catch. Now that was just the beginning of my Defender "education." Every lesson is a painfulllllll $$$ one. Be patient....VERY patient. I'm still paying "tuition."
A salesman's job is to close the deal. Nothing against salesmen. But shut out that input and the "This will not last!" hype. Go look at it two or three times if you can, with a day in between to think and ask people's advice. "Tie it up" without full commitment if you can. Get another D owner to look at it if you can. Take PICs and share them for an opinion. There may be stuff wrong with it that the dealer truly does not know. Get the former owner's number if you can and ask them about the truck. They will talk to you. Not their truck anymore.
Yeah, you may miss it. But unless you are wealthy, you could end up being really sorry. Join a club too. Rover Maint is about $100/hour at a dealer. You need really good advice from a patient person, a new socket set, a sawzall a grinder, a huge box of bandaids & Neosporin. Rust is hell.
There is no way in hell that I would buy one sight unseen. Also ask local techs. if they have worked on the truck. They are all smart and usually remember every truck they have worked on.
Also see if the former owner was on this board. Look for their posts. You might find something interesting.
Eventually you will be able to read a D like a book and know all the main repair costs by heart.
Someone has a quote on here that says something like, "A defender is the best 4X4 by far... on the back of a flat bed" I know a little about buying and selling but I am an idiot/buffoon compared to all these guys on D details.
Everything I have learned I have learned the HARD way. So...I know...PB Blaster, sawzall, grinder, hammer, torch, RN, "Ask George" "Here's the link" "Ask Keith K" Ask Jim C" "Call Rob Dassler" "Don't use a torch there, that rusty thing holds your fuel tank" "What's that smell?" "Is there a loan officer available?" Patience.......
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:11 PM
cr7707
carl, joseph

All that being said, has it been worth it?
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

RE: Was it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr7707
All that being said, has it been worth it?
Carl, if that ? was for me then, Yes! I love it and have a stupid grin on my face every time I drive it. I read your earlier post. By research you learn what questions to ask the seller, and what to ask for PICs of. By doing that you narrow down the field until you find your most probable truck. That's the one you go look at and drive.
I bet I sent an unamed dealer in Utah...40 LONG emails with requests for PICs. He replied to ALL of them and sent the PICs. (Good guy) I sent the PICs to D-90 people and asked them what they thought. Example: "Cool 35 inch tires! Did they upgrade the axles too? Lift is cool too, did they upgrade the driveshafts?" "Cool rims, are they DOT approved?" "Why is there an extra cooling fan up front? That thing have problems with over heating? Radiator and hoses been changed yet?" All of those visible things can be connected!!
On a northern truck (MA) - Salt used on roads "Please send PICs of floor boards under rubber mat, rear tire carrier" Answer: There isn't a passenger side floorboard and the bulkhead has a couple of holes in it. The spare tire carrier has surface rust." It was a friggin flintstone mobile. Price was reduced in the ad the next day but the info was NOT included. (That guy is NOT on this board)
AND the handling can be radically different with different tire sizes/models. You may love it stock and hate it with 35s or visa versa. And it seemed like every stock one I drove was different too. Even different leg room. BTW How tall are you? You gotta drive the truck you buy. Ever seen a truck jump sideways on a highway? Like someone picked me up and put me 4 feet to the right... while doing 40MPH. What a rush! Thanks to a pot hole. Mine dives in to standing water at the edge of the road too. I love it. But I am still learning to respect it.
The best response on this string that I have seen is "Why do you want a defender?"
IMO there needs to be a good answer. I KNOW why I have mine and would not sell it. (BTW You are going to get a lot of attention - I get business cards left on my seat with people asking me to sell. AND I have trail damage on mine.) Smartest thing I did is join a club (Solihull Society in Denver) because it humbled me and they showed me I was a D-90 idiot, through their collective knowledge and kindness...Not by being rude. Can't remember who said it but it was my first "awakening." "Bob, that is a dedicated OFFROAD vehicle, it isn't a jeep, be careful, it's like a cool tractor, respect it and learn how to drive it." I'm still learning...and still grinning. Just my opinions. Need to get off. Being a board hog. Sorry folks. Email if you want.
Old December 14th, 2006, 04:01 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

On the Internet (landroverexchange.com, craigslist, and Ebay), I've bought two RRs, a D110 and two D90s and, fortunately, backed out of a RR deal in Colorado when the inspection company showed a myriad of undisclosed serious problems. In every single purchase there were significant undisclosed problems. The most recent was a "pristine 1991 RR with no dings or dents" that was actually deeply keyed from front to the rear on the passenger side.
Dealers are not necessarily a solution. I bought my 1999 RR Callaway from a Houston, TX dealer - of Ebay and they had a 100% rating. When I arrived and was filling out some final forms - and excited with my new purchase - the salesman logged onto Ebay, clicked on the RR sale and then asked me to come around and enter my password. Stupidly, I did. Of course, he entered a glowing report. The vehicle had missmatched tires, undersized brake rotors, a poorly repaired driver's seat and many scratches that were never disclosed. Would never by from that dealer again (not an LR dealer)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90