My experience With Geared Restoration - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 12th, 2015, 09:43 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
The reality is the best shops out there are run by guys that could be successful at any one of a number of professions just so happens (and lucky for us) they chose to mess with rovers...Big difference between what Matt, Stephen and Mike do (referencing the shops above) and your average guy turning a wrench..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2015, 09:53 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

[QUOTE=Cherbear;688028]Wow "ED". You seem like a really angry person .....There are people in the world like Sandra Bullock and I happen to be one of them ...and please don't feel bad for me....I have my truck, my parts and a plan. I am far better off than 2 days ago.

I don't think "Ed" is angry, he is just trying to understand your thought process, which could be characterized as irrational. Now, I don't mean that as a slightówe are all obviously irrational based on our common obsession with Land Rovers!

And, you lost me at Sandra Bullock?

------ Follow up post added November 12th, 2015 09:57 PM ------

[QUOTE=bossman429;688034]OK so now I'm really going to offend people but o well....

Difference is most doctors spent 8+ years in school becoming professionals, so when you go to them for help they are much smarter that your average Joe.

Hold on there kid, I know some doctors who aren't that smaaat.
Old November 12th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Mpfish82
Mike
'94 AA Yellow D-90 #690

Registry
I chose Geared for multiple reasons.

1) Previous experience was good.
2) Communication between Bryan and I was excellent the first time around.
3) SafariHP picked up the Himalaya contract and therefor was busy non stop. As a customer needing 20 hrs max worth of work I was going to be the last person in line at all times.
4). SafariHP had lost its three main employees and had to regroup from the Geared guys leaving.
5). Previous experience was good!

Money wasn't the issue as the difference wasn't big enough for that to be a factor.

How many people on this forum thought Geared was a stand up company before earlier this week?? I bet based on the reactions a high percentage thought good of the company and team. It wasn't until a few of us spoke up and said differently that views changed.

I still believe an Amazon review system is the most fair. It allows customers to read through the BS and the more reviews the greater the accuracy. If a good shop has a few bad projects wether it was the customer or just bad circumstances the good will out weight the bad. It will also allow customers to see changes over time if the reviews are time stamped.

The fact of the matter is that the guys at Geared are more than likely great mechanics and do good work when clear direction is given; aka when they were at SafariHP. Some people are not meant to run a business.

I almost fell into the trap that so many people do and not speak up. It is so much easier to sit back and just accept the situation. Once I got my truck back I wasn't as focused on making the issue known. Other customers were in situations where if they did post before they got their truck back things could get really dicey, so they chose to bite their tongue.

As someone said, good shops go bad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2015, 10:58 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Skinny Pete?

-Jeff
I'm actually surprised he hasn't already chimed in, but apparently he is doing the sensible thing and having a life.
Old November 12th, 2015, 11:12 PM
javelinadave
-
-

My new to me truck got caught up in this debacle. I feel fortunate that............
A) No work was performed on my truck
B) No money was sent
C) I only lost time and not money
D) Ash returned my truck with only a minor hassle

I have no idea if Ash can recover from this but I suspect that he will. Plenty of Defender owners are not on the board and will never hear about the saga of the purple truck or his legal issues. At this point, only Ash can fix Ash's problems.
I hope in the future that when things go south with a shop that people speak up sooner rather than later and that they are treated better than Cherie was.
The high road is the only road in my book. Let's keep each other advised when somebody departs it.
Old November 12th, 2015, 11:58 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

So far the worst thing in this thread is safari is building himalaya garbage. Jesus why are people buying that crap. The fact that he has to farm out the work (I count three shops so far) is proof there is nothing substantial behind it.
Old November 13th, 2015, 12:19 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Adrian, I know several mechanics who would have done just fine in med school, JimmyJamz is one of them and I told him so. Another lowly wrench turner I know is in his mid twenty's and works for an Audi dealership down here in South Fla. So when Dr. Neurosurgeon's R8 doesn't run right he turns to an educated and highly skilled young man who will make his shit run right.
Old November 13th, 2015, 06:53 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

I'm sorry. But I'm not buying any of it. There hasn't been one convincing argument (other than Ed yesterday suggesting these tools exist and no one uses them) that suggests we could not have an efficient review system.

All these chatter about "do it yourself" or "go with the devil you know" account for nothing other than fallacious arguments.

It should not matter WHY I want to know about a shop's reputation, prices, punctuality. It is my prerogative as a consumer in a free country (this is still a free country, right?) to ask whatever questions I want from a service provider. All I am suggesting is to have an efficient forum to centralize and normalize all the answers.

It also should not matter WHY a particular choice was made. The matter of the consumer choosing someone based on reputation, price, looks, or whatever, is once again the prerogative of a consumer in a few market. The problem is when the information the consumer received was untrue or unverified. Once again, why can't we have a forum where other consumers verify or challenge statements made by vendors or other consumers?

Threads are a bad way to do this because (1) the loudest people always win, (2) there is no way to have consistent metrics and (3) there is no way to verify that information be factual instead of hearsay.

Again. This is theoretical: can a section be set on this, or other board, that would allow us to create -as someone else said- an Amazon style review system?
Old November 13th, 2015, 07:06 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

And by the way. Kudos to Cherie. Takes a lot of guts to own up to what has amounted to a giant mistake. Takes more guts to take your own action in that situation. Another pound of guts to open up about her mistake and channel it into the discussion about vendors. Another bag of guts to respond in a calm and classy way to a bunch of dudes calling her a train wreck and suggesting she chose a mechanic based on looks. More guts to stick to her guns. And another ton of guts to paint a truck purple and be proud of it. Cherie, I wish we had more women like you in this forum. Good luck to you guys!
Old November 13th, 2015, 07:15 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Adrian, I know several mechanics who would have done just fine in med school, JimmyJamz is one of them and I told him so. Another lowly wrench turner I know is in his mid twenty's and works for an Audi dealership down here in South Fla. So when Dr. Neurosurgeon's R8 doesn't run right he turns to an educated and highly skilled young man who will make his shit run right.
Please re read what i said. I said there are many very smart mechanics. But as a general majority I trust my own abilities more than your average mechanic. I'm just saying comparing ones need to seek advice from an oncologist vs a mechanic is not exactly an apples to apples comparison. Nobody is dieing if you try to restore your own truck, but you may die if you try to remove your own tumor.

------ Follow up post added November 13th, 2015 07:17 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarur View Post
I'm sorry. But I'm not buying any of it. There hasn't been one convincing argument (other than Ed yesterday suggesting these tools exist and no one uses them) that suggests we could not have an efficient review system. All these chatter about "do it yourself" or "go with the devil you know" account for nothing other than fallacious arguments. It should not matter WHY I want to know about a shop's reputation, prices, punctuality. It is my prerogative as a consumer in a free country (this is still a free country, right?) to ask whatever questions I want from a service provider. All I am suggesting is to have an efficient forum to centralize and normalize all the answers. It also should not matter WHY a particular choice was made. The matter of the consumer choosing someone based on reputation, price, looks, or whatever, is once again the prerogative of a consumer in a few market. The problem is when the information the consumer received was untrue or unverified. Once again, why can't we have a forum where other consumers verify or challenge statements made by vendors or other consumers? Threads are a bad way to do this because (1) the loudest people always win, (2) there is no way to have consistent metrics and (3) there is no way to verify that information be factual instead of hearsay. Again. This is theoretical: can a section be set on this, or other board, that would allow us to create -as someone else said- an Amazon style review system?
I am all for a review page or stickie thread. But I thought we already had that. Just takes 2 seconds of searching. Wasn't there a shop review thread somewhere?
Old November 13th, 2015, 07:52 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Adrian, I know several mechanics who would have done just fine in med school, JimmyJamz is one of them and I told him so.
True that. Anyone who sleeps with a blanket in his mouth because he's so petrified of spiders getting in there is a special kind of genius.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1960132385.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	134515  
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:02 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I think we can most definitely have an efficient review system. I don't think anyone is disputing that.
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:18 AM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I think we can most definitely have an efficient review system. I don't think anyone is disputing that.
Similar to the registry, we should have an organized system of fields to complete. Just off the top of my head:

Subjective title of service
Dates of Service
Dollar Amount of service (0-1k, 1k-10k, 10k-30k...) to quantify fiscal interaction
Estimated time for delivery vs actual
Estimated $ for service vs actual $ paid (percentage over if people do not want to discuss actual)
Communication pre, peri, and post service work
Mechanical description
Cosmetic description
Would you recommend again: y/n with then free text option

Have one page per shop, listing their website and contact info. Reviews below contact info.
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
agree. every good shop will have an unhappy customer sometimes, and bad shops have a satisfied customer sometimes. i want to see something more empirical than long debate threads showing in a single view a preponderance of satisfaction level for a shop.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:30 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Here is an idea. Include a review system of forum members who flat out lie when selling (or flipping) his/her truck?
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Here is an idea. Include a review system of forum members who flat out lie when selling (or flipping) his/her truck?
but let's keep something like that seperate from business reviews

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Please re read what i said. I said there are many very smart mechanics. But as a general majority I trust my own abilities more than your average mechanic. I'm just saying comparing ones need to seek advice from an oncologist vs a mechanic is not exactly an apples to apples comparison. Nobody is dieing if you try to restore your own truck, but you may die if you try to remove your own tumor.

------ Follow up post added November 13th, 2015 07:17 AM ------

I am all for a review page or stickie thread. But I thought we already had that. Just takes 2 seconds of searching. Wasn't there a shop review thread somewhere?
Btw. I never suggested anyone remove their own tumor!! Nor did I equate fixing a truck to removing a tumor (although my recent experience with putting a 200 tdi back together confirms what others have said: the skill required is comparable). The point I was trying to make is that if the population requiring care for cancer (ie a tough and serious situation) can rely on social networks for trustworthy reviews, why can't we have the same for truck repair. The other point is that even in a highly regulated, highly skilled profession, like oncology and surgery, ultimately the market rules. If you're a bad doctor (and as someone said earlier, there are plenty of those) it is market forces, not regulation, who eventually forces you to improve or move on.
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:52 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I think it must be made very clear:

There is a huge difference between "truck repair" and "truck restoration".

I do think that difference is something that we can quantify and characterize.
Old November 13th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

There is a sticky with shop reviews as I described earlier. But as I said it's neither updated nor useful because the information is not concise or uniform.
Old November 13th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Adrian, I know several mechanics who would have done just fine in med school, JimmyJamz is one of them and I told him so.
I'm a mechanic because my motto is "Aim low and you won't be disappointed." When I was a child and asked what I wanted to be when I grew up I told people I wanted to be a garbage man. I think I've exceeded expectations.

The vast majority of mechanics out there are pretty stupid in general. That being said, I know quite a few that can barely read and write (at least it seems that way to me), but they are damn good at fixing cars. I don't think someone that is doing restoration work on Land Rovers is the same kind of person doing repair work at a shop. I'm not saying one is more difficult than the other, I just think it is two different types of people doing those jobs.

------ Follow up post added November 13th, 2015 09:37 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
True that. Anyone who sleeps with a blanket in his mouth because he's so petrified of spiders getting in there is a special kind of genius.
That's probably the best picture of me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
restoration