My experience With Geared Restoration - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
You have to be licensed (an apprentice or journeyman) to work as a mechanic period.

https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/trad.../profiles/009/

It is a regulated trade: Regulated trades | Alberta Canada - Alberta, Canada Even with the unregulated ones, you are never going to get paid anything with the certification.
That's not all all the case in Virginia and New York. I'm assuming its the same elsewhere in the US. I started out washing cars at the Land Rover dealership in Richmond and now I would be considered a "Lead tech" at Land Rover Manhattan.
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2015, 06:15 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
You guys are arguing over the resume of a sheister. It's not like the linkedin profile of a high level government administrator.

It takes literally decades to build a legitimate career. This guy is almost thirty and can barely keep himself out of jail.

Come on.
Old November 9th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
That's not all all the case in Virginia and New York. I'm assuming its the same elsewhere in the US. I started out washing cars at the Land Rover dealership in Richmond and now I would be considered a "Lead tech" at Land Rover Manhattan.
I know.... That is not the point....

Are you going to hire a 20 year old person with no training and make him the lead mechanic of your shop?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2015, 06:25 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
I know.... That is not the point....

Are you going to hire a 20 year old person with no training and make him the lead mechanic of your shop?
No. I'm saying he probably didn't start as a lead tech, but he might have been when he left.
Old November 9th, 2015, 06:25 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
You could easily do that. It's a huge risk, but you could totally do that. You could pay him very little money and he could turn out to be quite gifted mechanically. Or he could turn out to be terrible.

Not sure what you're attempting to say.
Old November 9th, 2015, 06:39 PM
defendernut
Brady
1984 D90 200tdi

I can't nor will I speak for others experiences when working with Geared. I can tell you that they were upfront, communicated well and although nothing is fast enough, I knew when I was getting my truck back. We've all seen the work the shop has put out and regardless of his age he knows the trucks.

What happened was definitely was a mistake on his part. I'm sure that we've all made them. I hope they can overcome this setback and I wish them well.
Old November 9th, 2015, 06:58 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Orlando has to be the absolute strangest place on earth.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 9th, 2015, 07:13 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
It Micky's fault.
Old November 9th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post

You have no idea!
Old November 9th, 2015, 07:38 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Well that's disappointing. I was very impressed when I met Ash.

Bouncing back from a couple of DUI's isn't hard. People do it all the time. The betrayal of the customer's trust on the other hand is going to be tough. The people that give him a chance after knowing all this would have to be Zen Masters.
Old November 9th, 2015, 08:48 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Sounds like you actually got lucky. Shop calls about my truck being towed? My ass is down there to get it myself, tow shops don't want POA, they want cash.
Thanks for the heads up, but I really wanted one of those hoses he sent to have manufactured.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old November 9th, 2015, 09:04 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Old November 9th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Mpfish82
Mike
'94 AA Yellow D-90 #690

Registry
I would have gone done there but it caught me so off guard during the middle of the day at work and Ash was very convincing about having it all handled. He said all he needed was the paperwork to get it out of hoc and he was already paying the fees. He gave just enough details to make it believable without going so far that you question the holes in the story. He as Zero issue lying to a customer and I am not the only one to experience that. We all want to be able to trust someone, especially when they are in possession of your D90!

As I told his partner Brian, after being lied to all trust is out the window and everything you have ever told me is called into question. I just hope people look past the pretty paint jobs painters have done for the trucks they are working on. Geared's attention to detail is hit or miss in my opinion. I have gaskets falling off less than one year after the install, headlights that are as bright as two candles and numerous rattles I had to take care of myself. Sure the Instagram photos look great but isn't that what the app's filters are for!
Old November 9th, 2015, 09:33 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

All the more reason for a "troubled vendors" list here. I'm trying to figure out how to do one legally on DiscoWeb without venturing into libel territory. There needs to be a way to give a warning to new owners so they don't get suckered by people like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old November 9th, 2015, 09:43 PM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
Geared

Thanks for posting Mike.
Old November 9th, 2015, 09:44 PM
RaidersSnake12
Steve
Looking

mpfish82, This sucks that you have had this problem. As someone who is getting into the defender game, I had followed Geared Restoration on instagram and really like the look of the green NAS 90 that I'm guessing is the owners. I cannot believe that he would be in a customer's truck without permission and drinking on top of that. Then the cherry on top of this turd cake is the fact that he hoodwinked you into signing a power of attorney to get your truck out of hock. Wow. That's gotta be waaay illegal. Thanks for putting this out there. This could have easily been me.
Old November 9th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Mpfish82
Mike
'94 AA Yellow D-90 #690

Registry
Chris, I'm all on board for a review area! Not sure why it couldn't be done like Amazon with a 5 star system. Good reviews and bad will hash themselves out allowing customers to make their own informed decisions.

As for my post. I cannot take full credit as there were several other Geared customers encouraging me to tell my story of the events that happened. Basically I was in the least compromising position in terms of money and he stage of completion. Since my truck wasn't being worked on and I had a lot less money into the situation it was much easier for me to get my truck back and be outspoken regarding the situation. There are a couple people in a really bad spot and that is why I posted. Seeing Cherie's post last night got me so pissed off that I had enough and decided to post.

Btw, from what I was told by several people, Ash doesn't own a Defender. I could be wrong as this isn't first hand knowledge but I don't think that green 90 is his.
Old November 9th, 2015, 10:04 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
According to this LS 110.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/.../ash-1993.html
Old November 9th, 2015, 10:35 PM
Mpfish82
Mike
'94 AA Yellow D-90 #690

Registry
Like I said, what I heard regarding ownership was third person and I acknowledge that. But why drive mine downtown drunk if he has his own?? A Prius would have been a better steal if he was just trying to save on gas.
Old November 9th, 2015, 10:58 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
The same thing happens here, sort of. You get hired on as a wash bay guy, the bosses figure out that you have opposable thumbs and they sign you up as a registered apprentice. You have to do some school (similar to ASE ) and accumulate a certain number of hours (in Ontario is used to be 9000 hours of work as an apprentice). Then you would write a certification exam and get your license. You can do all of this while working for the same employer, or you can move around.

The license also allows you to perform vehicle mechanical inspections, so it's kind of a big deal. I think a lot of states have motor vehicle inspection stations, but I don't know what training the inspectors have.

One loophole I have heard in Ontario is that a restoration shop does not qualify as an automotive service garage, so no need for a license for restoration work.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
restoration