My experience With Geared Restoration - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2015, 04:30 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Using my phone so can't tell but was armed robbery before or after working at safari rover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Using my phone so can't tell but was armed robbery before or after working at safari rover?
I don't know how long he worked at Safari HP, but I'm guessing it was before then as the armed robbery was in 2006.
Old November 9th, 2015, 04:36 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I don't know how long he worked at Safari HP, but I'm guessing it was before then as the armed robbery was in 2006.
Actually if the robbery was in 2006 he worked there after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyoh View Post
I just Googled his name and found that.
Scott, is all you do whine about Ash? It's not like this is the first you are hearing about this. All you do is attempt to slander Ash. Why not work on getting your own clients, rather than sleazily trying to take his? Look at all the posts that relate to Ash, you're always commenting on them negatively.

Not sure if any of you remember, but Scott is the guy who was PMing people on the GRC air intake hose trying to take Ash's orders.

I'm sure the admins remember Scott PMing you regarding Ash's DUI to try and "find out if they had heard about it".

Or when you sent me a message on Facebook asking if I had "seen about it on Facebook".

Or when due to the fact that you still had access to control his Gmail account you were reading his emails and responding to potential and current clients.

Amit comes to mind...

Get over it man...

Everybody makes mistakes and I'm not saying Ash didn't do anything wrong, but I can assure you Ash is constantly trying to get things done as quickly as possible while still putting out quality products. Lead time is a constant problem for shops. Communication is key to a solid business, and I wish more shops would realize this.
Old November 9th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Sorry, badly worded, that's what I meant.
Old November 9th, 2015, 04:39 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Nope, two DUIs within 5 years in Florida. Misdemeanor charge, felony if damage is caused. Mandatory jail sentence of 10 days, maximum jail time of up to one year.
Old November 9th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ces-38734.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
About myself:
I have been a Rover enthusiast and owner for the last seven years, and worked as the lead mechanic at SafariHP for four years before leaving to pursue personal ventures. Recently I came to the realization that this industry is where I belong.
Not to be confused.... 2006, 18 years old, armed robbery. I assume spent time in jail. 2008 starts working at SafariHP and is lead mechanic? When did he do his apprenticeship and get a journeyman ticket? Seems strange SafariHP uses a self trained, 20 year old as their lead mechanic.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 9th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Why not work on getting your own clients, rather than sleazily trying to take his?

Or when due to the fact that you still had access to control his Gmail account you were reading his emails and responding to potential and current clients.

Amit comes to mind...

blah blah intake hose

I haven't tried to take any of his clients and actually turned one down last night. Don't have time being in school full time every day.

As far as I know Ash doesn't have a Gmail account and I haven't done what you are saying. Ash seized control of our web server to include everyone's email before I left the company. I'd love to see some proof as I have requested previously from others. Pretty bold accusation there.

Amit, I met on a ECR Facebook post about an LS swap and he later told me he was a Geared customer.

There was no trying to "take Ash's orders." I PMed a hyperlink to an eBay ad where a hose was available. I also stopped selling the hose as a friendly gesture to Bryan at Geared, because he was offended.

This thread isn't about me though. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to make any further accusations or sign a statement as to who told you such nonsense. I'm sure with you being 1400 miles away you and Ash must be best buds with you believing his side of things (assumption). Work with him side by side for years and see how well you get to know him. P.S. I don't have anything against you here.

Mike, sorry about your experience with Geared.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 9th, 2015, 04:53 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
I LOL'd at that too.
It was too perfect with the (lack of) hair style.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old November 9th, 2015, 04:57 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

There is no licensing or are there registered journeyman trades program in most states and provinces for automotive technicians (including Florida). All you need is a business registration (if that). You can call yourself whatever you like with impunity.

For instance in the great province of Quebec I am perfectly qualified as a master certified head super amazing land rover whisperer master technician mechanic journeyman tradesman person. It says so on the wall of my shop. I wrote it with a sharpie.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old November 9th, 2015, 05:17 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Scott, is all you do whine about Ash? It's not like this is the first you are hearing about this. All you do is attempt to slander Ash. Why not work on getting your own clients, rather than sleazily trying to take his? Look at all the posts that relate to Ash, you're always commenting on them negatively.

Not sure if any of you remember, but Scott is the guy who was PMing people on the GRC air intake hose trying to take Ash's orders.

I'm sure the admins remember Scott PMing you regarding Ash's DUI to try and "find out if they had heard about it".

Or when you sent me a message on Facebook asking if I had "seen about it on Facebook".

Amit comes to mind...

Get over it man...

Everybody makes mistakes and I'm not saying Ash didn't do anything wrong, but I can assure you Ash is constantly trying to get things done as quickly as possible while still putting out quality products. Lead time is a constant problem for shops. Communication is key to a solid business, and I wish more shops would realize this.
Sorry dude but a dui in a customers car at 1am is reckless and criminal... not a "mistake"
Old November 9th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Mpfish82
Mike
'94 AA Yellow D-90 #690

Registry
Since a member just sent me a message via PM I will leave them anonymous. The message was basically they appreciate the heads up as they now need to find somewhere else for the truck to get worked on. My goal was not to slander anyone personally although the headaches from the situation would make anyone ticked off. The goal was to prevent someone else from being in a really compromising situation.
When I received the original invoice (before any parts were ordered or work started) and they asked for the full amount up front, the situation just didn't pass the smell test. I only agreed to send 1/3 to pay for the parts, told them I would provide prompt 2/3 payment as soon as back from painter and final payment at delivery. If a shop has consistent work and good financial backing it shouldn't be an issue. Thank fully my gut feeling saved me from being fully vested and able to get my truck back. Not a single bolt had been touched in the 5 months at the shop.
Old November 9th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Cherbear
Cherie Herndon
1988 Defender 110

Quote:
One of those is from last month. Is that related to the first one in June?
no that is his second arrest
Old November 9th, 2015, 05:37 PM
The Regular Guy
Rob
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpfish82 View Post
Not a single bolt had been touched in the 5 months at the shop.
Apparently, this provided the opportunity to use your Defender as a vehicle for going out drinking. What are the chances that this wasn't the first time customer's vehicle was used for personal use?
Old November 9th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
There is no licensing or are there registered journeyman trades program in most states and provinces for automotive technicians (including Florida). All you need is a business registration (if that). You can call yourself whatever you like with impunity.

For instance in the great province of Quebec I am perfectly qualified as a master certified head super amazing land rover whisperer master technician mechanic journeyman tradesman person. It says so on the wall of my shop. I wrote it with a sharpie.
I have no idea, nor care if you need to be licensed. I just find it strange that Safarihp would use a person just out of high school with no formal training as their lead mechanic. Labourer, apprentice, sure. But lead mechanic just seems strange.

You need to be licensed here for quite a few things and nobody is paying you over minimum wage without it. It is a regulated trade.

Old November 9th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post

You need to be licensed here for quite a few things and nobody is paying you over minimum wage without it. It is a regulated trade.
You have to be licensed as a mechanic to work in a shop or licensed to run a shop?
Old November 9th, 2015, 05:58 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
John
You are stirring the pot with no basis. Ash could embellish is resume to say whatever he wants. No reason to assume Stephen gave Ash any kind of responsibility beyond wrenching under Stephen's close watch. Why draw others into this mess?
Old November 9th, 2015, 06:03 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
You have to be licensed as a mechanic to work in a shop or licensed to run a shop?
You have to be licensed (an apprentice or journeyman) to work as a mechanic period.

https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/trad.../profiles/009/
Quote:
To work as an automotive service technician in Alberta, a person must be a registered apprentice, an Alberta-certified journeyperson, or hold a valid recognized credential.

Individuals possessing a valid recognized credential in Alberta are eligible to receive a Blue Seal business credential after completing the necessary requirements.
It is a regulated trade: Regulated trades | Alberta Canada - Alberta, Canada Even with the unregulated ones, you are never going to get paid anything with the certification.

Old November 9th, 2015, 06:06 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
John
You are stirring the pot with no basis. Ash could embellish is resume to say whatever he wants. No reason to assume Stephen gave Ash any kind of responsibility beyond wrenching under Stephen's close watch. Why draw others into this mess?
I asked the original question because he was arrested for ARMED robbery prior to him working at Safari. His embellishment on his resume isn't a huge deal.
Old November 9th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Ash could embellish is resume to say whatever he wants. No reason to assume Stephen gave Ash any kind of responsibility beyond wrenching under Stephen's close watch.
I'm not stiring any pot. Just wondering if what Ash states is true or not. He is the one that states he was the lead mechanic at SafariHP. His words.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
restoration