My engine is possed by the devil - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 11th, 2004, 09:05 PM
yellowrover
Mike Holland
'97 AA Yellow D-90 ST

Question My engine is possed by the devil

After driving around in the woods for about 20-30 mins I came back and park the truck in the driveway and got out the pressure washer and when i returned to move the car an evil spirit seemed to take over the engine. I started it up and it almost stalled and gurgled for a lil bit, I turned it off then turned it back on again and it lurched to arount 2000 rpm and just idled at that. Turned it off again, thought to myself "oh boy this should be fun", then turned the key again, but this time nothing happened just turned over. Let it sit about 20 sec then turned over again and boom shot right up to 1500 then 2000. Also the throttle is not moving at all, its doing all this internally without the help of the pedal or a sticking throttle cable. The car had worked fine in the woods and i did not do anything serious in the woods, just gravel log trails no deep mud . It has also worked fine in the past. It only has 33k on it, but it did sit for awhile a few years back. I know there could be tons of things that could be wrong.......but any hint of a direction?? i don't have anything to plug it into to check it out and i def can't drive it anywhere unless i wanna smoke my brakes. I am ready to just sit in my house and try to forget the problem so it might go away. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Marc Weinstein
Marc Weinstein
defender 90 '94

clean stepper motor!
Old April 12th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Have you tried resetting the system by disconnecting the battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Did you use the "pressure washer" to clean the engine???
Old April 12th, 2004, 06:37 PM
yellowrover
Mike Holland
'97 AA Yellow D-90 ST

No i didn't use the pressure washer to clean the engine, i only use the pressure washer for the tires, body and to clean rusted stuff.......i know to keep it away from electrical stuff and other sensitive stuff. Also i disconnected the battery and started it up and put it in reverse before it reved so i could atleast move it to a better spot and i discovered that when its in reverse or any forward gear it idles at 1000 rpm and when its in neutral or park it idles at 2000 rpm.
Old April 13th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I am betting you got water on your MAF sensor--that when it dries all will be fine. Let us know.
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

There is a switch or the tranns that tells the engine that you are in park, if it is not working right the engine will think it is in gear and give it a little more gas. But it should not allow you to start in gear unless it resets it self after you shut down.
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:25 PM
yellowrover
Mike Holland
'97 AA Yellow D-90 ST

Well my brother looked at it with me and we think it might be the Throttle position sensor. I have to find a place or someone around me now that knows how to check it, if its bad how much are tps and how much do they go for??
Old April 14th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The TPS is easy to check yourself if you have a ohm meter. Just pull it off, hook your meter to it and slowly turn the shaft and the resistance should slowly change. I don't think they are all that expensive either.
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Michael,

Please make sure, for now on, that with the TPS reports, you include the cover sheet--you see we now include the cover sheet with all TPS reports...(I really hope you have seen "Office Space" or this will make no sense...)
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey! I got the frickin memo about the TPS reports!

Any luck yet Mike?
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:18 PM
yellowrover
Mike Holland
'97 AA Yellow D-90 ST

ummm can i have my stapler back???

No luck yet, i'm still in school so the week isn't a good time to work on it, and i'm leaving for spain tomorrow with my class so i won't be able to work on it again ......but i'll get her fixed when I come back in two weeks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine