My D90 Engine Overhaul Thread of Questions! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 16th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Swede7000
Karl
1995 / D90 / #3084

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Glue with Indian Head (black adhesive) and use a mallet to make sure that they are seated well. I have had an engine failure becuase I used shorter stacks that came undone on washboard (in Mexico of all places).
Also I would you RightStuff as your sealant. The shop that I go to uses that religiously.

Winn - please don't stop posting that type of thinking as there is something in your post for everyone and I didn't know any of that. I did switch to a Mallory Unilite Dist and ended up using steel gasket.

Also it is my understanding the the older non-stretch bolts are better than the stretch ones. You just retighten them from time to time.

Karl,
I hope you went with a steel timing gear and upgraded chain. Also, don't forget to pack the oil pump gears with grease as this will help the pump start to suck up oil upon start up.
Thanks for the heads up on the indian head. I will try and find some around here.

I already have new bolts so will use those and just re-use the one for the bump bracket.

I haven't done anything with the timing gear... though I did notice it was vinyl teeth. I'll look into a replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2012, 06:38 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede7000 View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the indian head. I will try and find some around here.

I already have new bolts so will use those and just re-use the one for the bump bracket.

I haven't done anything with the timing gear... though I did notice it was vinyl teeth. I'll look into a replacement.
Without a doubt replace the timing set.
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Swede7000
Karl
1995 / D90 / #3084

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Without a doubt replace the timing set.
I have Rovers North as my go-to source for parts. Is there anywhere else I should be browsing or is what they have all I will need. Looked at the timing set they have and not too bad a price so I added that to my next order.

Thanks!

------ Follow up post added April 16th, 2012 09:03 PM ------

Also, is there a thread that may already address all the questions I have that I could be pointed to? I don't want to be too big a nag here!

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2012, 07:07 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
try the search button, the stock land rover timing set is junk get a Cloyes or a Pro-Gear.
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Swede7000
Karl
1995 / D90 / #3084

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
try the search button, the stock land rover timing set is junk get a Cloyes or a Pro-Gear.
Got pro-gear!

I have searched and searched but no luck in finding the exact answers to my questions.
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Swede7000
Karl
1995 / D90 / #3084

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Glue with Indian Head (black adhesive)
Just want to make sure I get the right stuff. I have found Indian Head Gasket Shellac Compound... Is that the one?
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:26 PM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews
'94 NAS D90 #CDN-80, 2011 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede7000 View Post
As I'm beginning disassembly of the engine I'm running into some oddities and conundrums. First of which is in the linked picture. There is what I believe to be a thermostat sensor that does not have any wires to it. Is this normal or do I need to look for a wire at reassembly? The thermostat in the vehicle works so its' wired into somewhere not sure just yet.

Thanks,

Karl

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--...s771/photo.JPG
I use it with an electric fan as my sensor to know when the engine is hot enough to trigger the fans...
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:09 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
Timing gear set for a 3.8 Buick will work, you can get them from Summit or Jeg's. Get the one that has multiple keyways, advance it 3 degrees, will give you lots more low end, from what I remember that's the only difference between the old cams and the 4.0/4.6 cams....
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Swede7000
Karl
1995 / D90 / #3084

Quote:
Originally Posted by winn442 View Post
Timing gear set for a 3.8 Buick will work, you can get them from Summit or Jeg's. Get the one that has multiple keyways, advance it 3 degrees, will give you lots more low end, from what I remember that's the only difference between the old cams and the 4.0/4.6 cams....
Winn,

How does the timing advance affect overall driving? This is the wife's D90 so it's more of a summer day driver and sees very little off road other than what I do on occasion which isn't much

I have a new gear and chain set coming but will run down to my parts store and compare it with a buick for reference and then I'll decide what I'm going to do.

Karl

------ Follow up post added April 19th, 2012 10:05 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromWhitby View Post
I use it with an electric fan as my sensor to know when the engine is hot enough to trigger the fans...
Good idea. Did you remove the OEM fan and retro an electric in it's place or do you run 2 fans?
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Swede7000
Karl
1995 / D90 / #3084

Well SHIT!!

So one of the mysteries I have of the head job is why they don't supply a new cylinder #1 lower head bolt (the one with the threaded top) when you order them? I went on the reuse it method as suggested and it snapped!

Now I ask: If the head bolts have done their 90 & 90 on a brand new gasket but never run... would you re-use those or just bite down and get a new gasket and bolts for a brand new torque?

Now I gotta go find that bolt...

Karl

Link to the bolt:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-V...s794/photo.JPG
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Swede7000
Karl
1995 / D90 / #3084

All done!

Got the engine fired up first turns!! What a relief!! Thanks all for the info and tips. Got a last one. What is this chunk of steel? It hit me in the throat as I was dropping the exhaust from the manifolds. I think it was wedged between the frame and exhaust? Don't think it's even a part of the vehicle.

Thanks,

Karl

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q...s800/photo.JPG
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:43 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
looks similar to a body mans dolly, it certainly is not a rover part, prior owner may have droped that thing and could never find, probably hoped/expected and thought it may have fallen on the road years ago.
Old May 11th, 2012, 07:44 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Ouch, I hope your throat is ok! I agree with Carlos. Polish it up and keep it as a paper weight
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Swede7000
Karl
1995 / D90 / #3084

A body mans dolly... I had to look that up and I'm convinced that's what it is as well!! I'm just happy it didn't clock me in the skull when it dropped. In a previous ownership this D saw some action. I noted that the front grill frame has been resprayed.

Thanks!!

Karl

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, engine