My AC is awesome!!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:00 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

My AC is awesome!!!

ok,

Since most internet boards are full of, my this is broken, or my that is broken, I thought I'd post something positive, just because I'm so impressed with this 10 year old jalopy of mine.

about a week ago, I spent about $40 to get supplies, and recharged the AC on my 1995 SW. WOW, this thing is a great unit. It blows cold air, like there is no tomorrow, to a point hat I start freezing my What-nuts off ....

What a truck!!! Sure..she needs about a thousand things done her, ....but with 118K on the clock now, she still rocks!!

-arbi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:34 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

lol arbi!
i am jealous! although mine works now!

and remember, freon + testicles = sterilization

-dan
Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:01 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oh, my AC rocks also. It also freezes my rocks since the Defender system is perfectly positioned to blow on your knees and nuts.

As an aside, I busted a custom AC hose on my move across country 2 weeks ago (I have a 97 AC system modified for a 300Tdi - the hose broke because of bad design on my part) - anyway it was a hundred degrees out and I sweated my nuts off for 700 miles because I had no cold air blowing on them. Well, I called Thermo-King in St Louis (who makes/services reefer units for trailers) and they made me a super-professional rebuildable AC line while I waited. an r134 charge, and my nuts were cool again.

Thats my story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:48 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

lol!

ps> whats an R134 charge?

-dan
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:34 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

R12 is old environmentally non-friendly Freon, and R134a is the "new" refrigerant used in air conditioning systems. You can get R134a in bottles at your local atuo parts/walmart store. If your system has R134a is has a big sticker on it somewhere stating so.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:45 PM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

Based on the common theme of cooling "the guys" I think that I'm going to need to look into the new AC systems that Rovers North has. Yesterday I had to drive from LA to Tahoe and the whole way up the 99 I was in misery. It wasn't that bad last summer so I thought that I could do without. Wrong.

This leads to: can anyone recomend a shop in the LA area that has experience installing AC kits?

Dan - R134 is the new coolant that is used in AC systems instead of freon. Supposedly R134 doesn't destory the ozone layer the way freon does.

-Mark
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:54 PM
Hollywood
alex howell
94 d90

I would recommend checking out rover accesories. Teir new facility in inglewood is great, and they have a real can do attitude. Another good place is british car service in inglewood, a really knowledgable friendly store. I would not recommend absolute rovers in west hollywood. I have heard bad stories. Also Huntington motors in pasadena is good, but slow and selective on what they will do. Lastly, do not go to british motors in north hollywood, they appeat to specialize only in discovery upkeep.

hope this helps
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:55 AM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

thanks for the lesson, mark.....

ps> i went to west coast rovers in irvine...they did a good job on my rig...

-dan
Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:22 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
AC is an easy install when you buy a kit that is plug-and-play. Its fabricating hoses and re-engineering the wiring schematic that takes time. Except for pressure testing the system and charging it, someone who is not a mechanic can install the parts in a weekend.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac