MY 90 has died - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 18th, 2011, 09:10 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The FIRST thing to do with a ROW diesel truck, ANY fucking one of them, is disconnect all the fuel lines and blow the shit out of them. Why the idiots in england get some of that shit stuck in the tank, lines, etc is beyond me but its in there. Last one had a piece of RTV in the inlet to the lift pump long enough to put a hook in and catch largemouth bass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2011, 09:35 PM
ttegt
Thomas Tegtmeier
1995 Defender 90

First there is some kind of sensor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crvn View Post
Bin there done that. First there is some kind of sensor near the coil which is right over the exhaust mnfld. LR has a tch bulitain about this and offers (at least in the us) a kit to modify its postion. If you can't find it in the uk check Roversnorth(in Vermont i think in the us). after installing the kit (which aint a hard job) get a new coil from RN or whoever in the uk and plug that in. NOW change the oil! (Iknow you think I'm nutz) but all that hacking around has put a lot of fuel in the crankcase and I believe there is an oil sensor that is reading low oil and will not let it start.

You are a carbon copy of a problem I had last spring that took two shops and 3 month to solve on my 94 d90. If you need more info its crvn@earlth.net

Cheers.
Hey
This old post caught my eye. Do you know what sensor you are referring to? or what kit I should request from RN? or a link to the tech bulletin? I think this might be my gremlin.... or one of them any way. Thanks

Tom
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:48 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
The FIRST thing to do with a ROW diesel truck, ANY fucking one of them, is disconnect all the fuel lines and blow the shit out of them. Why the idiots in england get some of that shit stuck in the tank, lines, etc is beyond me but its in there. Last one had a piece of RTV in the inlet to the lift pump long enough to put a hook in and catch largemouth bass.
Be nice!!!!

We don't do it deliberately.

Ed sorry to hear you're having problems, I had no trouble from 2004 once the tank was cleaned properly and I put the filter back.
One thing I never got around to adding was the water trap filter that goes before the mechanical lift pump, somewhere down near the tank, Discovery I's had them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Ed, its either air in the lines or a weak lift pump, the one mike fitted has been in there a while so would be a cheap swap out, i'd go for a genuine one as i have seen a lot of crapy copies from the usual suppliers.

if its not that then you have a spare for when it does crap out, as it will no doubt do at the worst time over the holidays.
check for wet spots along the fuel lines from the tank to the pump. the addition of a sedimentor is a good idea judging from the crap i had out of my disco's fuel tank.

at least you get to know the truck and smell of something other than EP90

have fun
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:29 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
I put a good lift pump in when re-commissioning the truck, check the fuel filter on the fuel pick-up in the tank. Lift the seat, remove the panel under the seat, the fuel tank is right there, the fuel sender and pick up comes off easily, a lock ring that you just knock round with a hammer and screw driver. Then see what you find on the filter at the end of the pick-up pipe. I bet there's crap in there again. Some bloody gremlin puts it there while you're not looking.
Well actually I think the original problem was a dodgy old jerry can I had, all the paint came off the inside and I unwittingly poured the lot in thought I'd got it all out years ago...
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:43 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry

Mike - all is well! I fixed it according to the solution you suggested. I removed the driver's side seat top, lifted the fuel sender and removed the small mesh filter unit at the base of the pickup tube. Replaced it into the tank and voila - instant start and plenty of power. I ended up cleaning out the mesh filter with brake cleaner and replaced it onto the end of the pickup. I figure it's doing its job and I'd rather see the filter clog up than the rest of the fueling system.
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:47 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Welcome to land rover ownership. A fitting start and well played!
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:35 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Glad to have helped, any other problems just post em up and I'll chip in with a suggestion based on having owned the truck for 10 years
Old May 19th, 2011, 03:43 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Land Rovers are the only vehicles where you are assured that if you buy or sell one, it will break down within a week either before or after the sale.
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:18 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Land Rovers are the only vehicles where you are assured that if you buy or sell one, it will break down within a week either before or after the sale.
Many a true word

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags