My 1994 D-90 Is Dying - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 7th, 2014, 11:18 AM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500
My 1994 D-90 Is Dying

Here is what happens. I will be driving along and I will feel a "hiccup/lurch". This is caused by the engine dying. Since I am in gear and at speed the engine restarts and I continue to driving along. This also occurs when stopped. In that case I turn the ignition off and restart the engine. I am also experiencing abnormal idle. When running right the engine idles around 1000 RPM's but sometime the idle will drop to 500 RPM's and stay there. If I push on the accelerator I can bring the idle up to 1000 RPM's but I must keep my "foot on the gas" or it will go back down to 500 RPM's. The newest thing to happen is that the idle fluctuates between 1000 and 500 RPM's. "Giving it more gas" does nothing and after three or four fluctuations the engine quits. Only after letting the engine "sit" for five to ten minutes can it be restarted. I think the "brain" is going bad. The "brain" went bad on me once before.

Please help. I am getting to the point where I do not want it drive it around the block.

The Wizard
To paraphase "Oddball" (Donald Sutlerland, "Kelly's Heros", 1970) "I only drive 'em, I don't know how to fix them."
1994 Defender 90 No. 500
Old July 7th, 2014, 11:38 AM
72 + D1 drivetrain
It doesn't sound like my old nemesis of a bad coil. But those things are so cheap, its worth getting another.
Sounds like you think its electrical, so check the battery and alternator output.
Once those three are confirmed ok, time to move to the fuel pump. If thats getting weak and overheating....

Old July 7th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Danny V
94 D90 #1260
Just went thru the same thing. Posted in technical discussions under "OK, Yet another Intermittent Dying-at-the-Light Thread: (sorry, couldn't get safari to copy the link). So far it looks like the big fat hose from the mass airflow was loose. Tightened it up & as of this morning I've put about 75 miles, running smooth & no more off the drop-off in idle like you described. I'll post an update at that post after a few more miles. My driving is city right now, but I am going to Ouray later this month so i wanna make sure it's right for the road.
Anything worth doing is worth getting carried away with(ancient druid saying)
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:08 PM
1994 NAS D90
Had similar issues with a 94. Ended up replacing MAF sensor with used OEM. After-markets would not work properly. Also found my Dist Cap was cracked and timing was 30deg out of spec due to previous knucklehead mechanic. Might have been the problem all along. The combination of replacing both has me purring like a kitty. Can't honestly say whether the MAF needed replacement or not. Did learn NOT to gunk up MAF with ether.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

1994, 90, d-90