Must replace R380 Fork - Do the clutch & rear seal too? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 25th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Landspeed
Langdon Hill
D-90 SW

Must replace R380 Fork - Do the clutch & rear seal too?

D-90 300 Tdi, 167K Miles R380's fork failed. My Clutch has 50% remaining. With all the work it took to remove the transmission to replace the fork, my thought is replace the clutch and the main rear seal. Anyone else experience this choice? I figure I have 5 more years on the clutch. There is a very small amount of oil on the wrong side of the rear engine seal. Not sure where it came from. I don't want to do this again. So it seems to me the extra coin now will be smarter than having to remove the R380 a second time - even if the clutch has time left.

1. Was it possible to replace the fork without removing the transmission?
2. Is there a better replacement fork. Why would a fork fail? Seems odd to have that be a weak link.
3. OEM clutch fine? This is a daily driver - farm truck and not a rock crawler application.
4. OEM rear main seal - is this the best option.

A mechanic friend told me - not sure if this is true - That the rear main seals are better than replacements - so a small leak in the original is better than a replacement that will leak more and wear out faster.

I tried to find this answer but did not find it, so if there is a link to this please let me know. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2012, 04:27 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landspeed View Post
....... Is there a better replacement fork. Why would a fork fail? Seems odd to have that be a weak link.
See towards the bottom:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=5010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
1. Was it possible to replace the fork without removing the transmission?
No. Engine or gearbox out.

2. Is there a better replacement fork. Why would a fork fail? Seems odd to have that be a weak link.
Get an OEM fork (not an aftermarket one) and weld on a backing plate, being careful not to overheat the pivot area. Grease well.

3. OEM clutch fine? This is a daily driver - farm truck and not a rock crawler application.
Sure. I'd replace it...

4. OEM rear main seal - is this the best option.
You want one of these: http://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/a.../info-832.html

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Also replace the throwout bearing, slipper pads, slave cylinder and flex line while there.... You can get an alumumium housed throwout if you want even more feelings of happiness.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, clutch, r380