Defender Source Forum banner

Multiple door senors bad LR3

6K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  southpaw3229 
#1 ·
Have been getting front door open messages when driving and door is obviously closed. Happened intermittently. Finally had to get door sensor replaced last week as the alarm kept tripping when locked. Thinking all is well, low and behold today I'm sitting inside and the GD alarm goes off. Pissed I go outside crank it up and it now says rear left door open when closed. Mechanic that fixed front said he's never seen more than one fail. What's interesting, the alarm always trips in afternoon when sun has warmed up the truck. Anyone else dealt with this in LR3?

I find it hard to believe door sensors fail in such close period of time. If there was a way to disable alarm I'd do it and forget it. Very annoying.

#6 · (Edited)
Mine did this right before the battery died. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
I put in New battery last winter. Unless battery is bad. Told wife she has two choices. Never lock it again or sell it. Quite frankly I don't have the time to deal with this type of bullshit. Running to the shop to swap out every door lock so we might be able to lock it is insane.

#7 ·
I had one in recently with an alarm issue. The body computer logs the sensor that tripped the alarm- door, hood or other sensor. In this instance , the right hand sill was full of water, and the trigger was the right front door. Went through the splices in the harness in the sill, re-soldered and use a heat shrink that contains a sealant. No repeat of the issue, but additionally they haven't left the sunroof raised in a rainstorm.....
Don't know if this address's your issue, but thought I'd share!

#8 ·
I had one in recently with an alarm issue. The body computer logs the sensor that tripped the alarm- door, hood or other sensor. In this instance , the right hand sill was full of water, and the trigger was the right front door. Went through the splices in the harness in the sill, re-soldered and use a heat shrink that contains a sealant. No repeat of the issue, but additionally they haven't left the sunroof raised in a rainstorm..... Don't know if this address's your issue, but thought I'd share!
No water ingress Trevor. I'd feel better if there was so I'd know that was a possibility. Such a shame as this is a solid truck with about everything major addressed and 77k miles, cleanest I've ever seen. These type of situations really **** on the owning experience.

#18 · (Edited)
Initially I read message on display that said driver door open.

Mechanic claimed he read alarm logs saying driver door. So driver door lock replaced.

Today alarm went off and when I started truck it said rear door was open when it was not.

I'm really hoping this is a glitch from hood switch. I've looped the connection and will watch and see.

#21 ·
Also had your symptoms; replaced hood switch and battery as others have said. Needed a new battery anyway at the time.... One or both solved the issue.

------ Follow up post added October 16th, 2016 07:30 PM ------

$34 shipped for genuine from Justin/Erik. LR065340

#23 ·
Hood switch... known glitch. Happened to mine a few years ago with random alarm triggers, and before then would randomly tell me the passenger door was open as I was driving down the road.

#25 ·
5 days later not one alarm trigger. Damn I should have come here first before blowing $500 on a new door lock.

Hopefully this thread helps someone in the future. If you have random alarms, always replace hood switch first no matter what your car or mechanic says!

Thanks everyone for the help.

#26 ·
I am having the same issues with the front driver door - says it is open and interior light stays on.

Won't lock from key fob because a door is still "open" -drivers.

No alarm issues.

I am going to replace the hood switch after reading this thread - and report back.

Does anyone have the part number for 06 LR3 HSE?

#27 ·
I am having the same issues with the front driver door - says it is open and interior light stays on. Won't lock from key fob because a door is still "open" -drivers. No alarm issues. I am going to replace the hood switch after reading this thread - and report back. Does anyone have the part number for 06 LR3 HSE?
This is exactly how mine started. Pull out electrical plug from hood switch on passenger side and put a jumper in to hold connection until you swap. Will keep everything normal until you can swap in new switch. Believe me the alarm triggers are a nightmare.

#35 ·
Funny but I still know all the tricks for defenders/discos/RRC, but can't tell you anything about any rover made in the last 13 years. Most of the tricks I know seemed to stay around, but I doubt many new techs at least at dealers know them.

#40 ·
I am having the same issue after replacing my entire driver side door on my 2008 LR3. There were (2) areas I touched when replacing the door. Initially i unscrewed the latch inside the vehicle that pops the bonnet to access inside the firewall to try to figure out the wiring harness for the LR3 Door replacement. Turns out I didn't need to do that, so i put the interior bonnet latch back on. Then I swapped out the damaged door from a side swipe with a door i bought online. I did order a new bonnet hood latch for $60 but before it go here, I saw something about spraying WD-40 in the accuator (door lock area) and bam.... no more driver side door warning when it was closed. My neighbors have to be happy as my alarm was going off every couple hours throughout the night.

I will find out later if it comes back but I believe that did the trick for me. Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.