Multimeter type gadget suggestions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 25th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Corey K-nig
1993 NAS Defender 110
Multimeter type gadget suggestions

I'm looking for suggestions on a multimeter to use to diagnose sensor and electrical issues. One that is user friendly, I don't know to much about these things. I thought there maybe one out there that is for the Auto tech field or even one for Rover field. I'm not looking for something from like Snap-on that rolls out on wheels, but something more pocketbook friendly. If you have a gadget like this or similar that is immpossible to live without please let me know. Thankstype gadget

Old November 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585
Hey there Corey. Regarding your question on a multimeter, it really is going to depend on what you need it for. First off, I am a longtime fan of the Fluke series. THey are nearly indestructable and in my opinion, the best on the market. I have used a Wavetek that was very close in capability, but considerably cheaper. If you are t/sing sensors, you would need voltage and resistance capability. If you are not familiar with using a meter, you probably don't need to mess with Current capability or readings. Many fo the sensors will change resistance as they measure whatever they are supposed to measure. Voltage is pretty standard, and very helpful. These suggestions are all for DVM or multimeters, not for something liek a code scanner. Unless you have a 96 or newer vehcile, a standard OBD-II scanner is not going to work, unless it is one that offers older vehcile hook-ups like an AutoX-ray 5000 or 6000. Even then, I don't think it will work on your L/R. They do have a nifty digital fault display usually near the ECU, I know mine is. I can elaborate more if you need more info, but e-mail me and I will reply. Hope this helps a little.

Pain is weakness leaving the body
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
$10 at wal-mart for the little lightweight multi-meter.

*not legal advice*
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:57 PM
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover
The most useful electronic tester for your '93 would be a Fluke digital meter. has a full selection. Look at Fluke online, too, and they are also on ebay
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor
I like the Fluke stuff, is about the best stuff going...but a lot of money to sink if you use it infrequently. If you have the money & want the good stuff, a Fluke 87 is a good bet. For something a bit less expensive for infrequent DIY, try Sears, they have some Craftsman meters that are a pretty good value for the money ($50 ish) and will do everything you need.
Rob Dassler
SWR Automotive
505-872-7818 (shop)
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
I have a digital POS from Harbor Freight ($1.99) on sale in each of my trucks. I have a couple nice flukes and such at home. I HIGHLY recommend the harbor freight yellow digital pieces of crap for the truck and it will do everything you want it to with the exception of sounding a tone on the resistance loop. Here is the one on sale for $2.99. Still a great buy. Sometimes it drops lower, but you would have to be a serious tightwad to wait. When I saw them last, I bought 10 and gave them to all my friends. 1 did not work, we took it back and they gave a new one, no questions asked.
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:47 AM
jim pendleton
I second the harbor frieght meter. It gets used more then my Fluke, Vantage or Craftsman meters. Cuz I do not mind draging it out in the gravel or overloading the amp draw circuit. A smart test light like would be a good way to dabble in the eleckticky, also.

legend in my own mind

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions