Muffler -- what are my options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 26th, 2015, 10:35 PM
Dragon Breath
Jay
Blank

Muffler -- what are my options

I have a hole in my muffler.
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about mufflers, so I'm wondering whether I can get set up with whatever the local muffler shop has in stock that will fit. Or do I need to get some special Defender muffler.

The one they sell at Rovers North is $459 MUFFLER CENTER DEFENDER 90 V-8, RNF422, WCE104000 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

I called the local muffler shop and he said it would run $80 to $100.

If there are pros and cons for one over the other -- what are they?

Bottom line is this -- can you guys point me to any specific mufflers that would work for me -- especially one that won't break the bank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What do you want it to sound like ? I'm partial to flowmaster.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Dragon Breath
Jay
Blank

I don't think the sound is all that important to me -- in other words I might pay a little extra, but wouldn't want pay that much extra for the sound factor. I'm simply fixing the muffler here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2015, 10:50 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I doubt $80-$100 would be stainless so you'll be repeating the experience down the road. How soon is depending on your environment.

Edit: I just saw that you're in Sac, so barring trips to Tahoe or with decent upkeep, you'll be fine for years with regular steel. You may squeeze a bit more power out of a free flowing exhaust system, but now we're talking a whole new can of worms.
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:57 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I went with a Flowmaster and am very happy with it. Support your local muffler shop!
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:59 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-842515/overview/

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 26th, 2015, 11:30 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Go stainless its worth the extra money.
Old February 27th, 2015, 12:10 AM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
There's nothing super special about these mufflers, so if you're local guys can do it, do it. My local guys couldn't and wanted to cut and weld and fabricate some crap that they felt wouldn't last, so I ended up with the OEM to replace. If I had a competent local place where I lived back then, i would've gone to my local shop and asked for a stainless steel version. Make sure they see it though, cos on the phone is one thing....
Old February 27th, 2015, 05:14 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
You should get under there and inspect your entire cat back setup. If you're muffler has a hole, then you could have rust at the coupler and other places. In which case you could just get the whole setup and do it yourself (bolt on).

You don't want your muffler guys to start cutting, discover this, and then feel like you've got no choice.
Old February 27th, 2015, 07:31 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankar View Post
You should get under there and inspect your entire cat back setup. If you're muffler has a hole, then you could have rust at the coupler and other places. In which case you could just get the whole setup and do it yourself (bolt on). You don't want your muffler guys to start cutting, discover this, and then feel like you've got no choice.
X2 national franchise shops I find don't want to work outside the box very often.

First thing they typically say when they see your situation is they don't have the couplings and the job will require more welding/labor. Then you are at their mercy of someone's welding skills. Done right is no problem. Done wrong you'll be back next year with problems they may not warrant.

I agree with supporting local. But franchise shops rarely fit in that scenario.

My advice is have the shop look at it and you get under there too. Have them show you the good, bad and ugly. If it makes sense and doesn't sound like bullshit then compare their estimate to that of an RN with shipping and any additional labor you can't do yourself.

All this for a effing muffler.

Old February 27th, 2015, 01:05 PM
Dragon Breath
Jay
Blank

Thanks for the feedback. Probably makes sense for me to do as 1of40 says and go under the rack with them to take a look.

Is there anything extra special about the EOM one at RN that merits paying a premium?
--it looks like that's what drdread did.

My takeaway is that pretty much any muffler would do (assuming there's not damage all the way along and assuming I don't need stainless).
p.s. the muffler shop I'm talking about is pure local, not a chain.
Old February 27th, 2015, 05:59 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
If the hole isn't too bad, then watch the boards on here for a used stainless cat back setup. I bought mine on here used, a magnaflow stainless with 5,000 miles through it for $300.

It just bolted right in place of the oem. Remove rear lh side wheel for ease of instalation.
Old February 27th, 2015, 06:07 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
what motor do you have? If you have a diesel you might consider running a straight pipe. With a diesel most of the exhaust sound is muffled by the turbo.
I have had Magnaflows and Flowmasters on different rigs. I picked up a used magnaflow off craigslist for $30. Paid $50 for my local muffler shop to install. Sounds great with the 200tdi
Old February 27th, 2015, 07:26 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Breath View Post
p.s. the muffler shop I'm talking about is pure local, not a chain.
That's good. If I am not mistaken the chain shops don't fab up custom systems. I took my truck to a place that does all its own bending and designs. Look up who does the local hotrods and custom exhaust for the diesel pickups crowd. They will know what to do.
Old February 27th, 2015, 07:37 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
That's good. If I am not mistaken the chain shops don't fab up custom systems. I took my truck to a place that does all its own bending and designs. Look up who does the local hotrods and custom exhaust for the diesel pickups crowd. They will know what to do.
True dat! That was the problem when I went to do mine as I didn't have any hotrod or custom places near me, and just Meineke, Maaco, etc
You really can't beat the clamp on OEM though for ease, especially if you can get it used somewhere

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions