muffler shop recommendations - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 18th, 2006, 10:02 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

muffler shop recommendations

As I'm going to a 3-in exhaust on the 110 can anyone recommend a good shop? I'm in Boston but will travel to NH, VT, ME - need to get out of the house!

Also, how many sections should the setup be? I'm guessing three: downpipe, middle (where the muffler may someday go) and the rear.

I'm also assuming there's no problem (legallly) installing a setup without a muffler, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I'm no help on the shop, but the setup should be 5 sections.

There is a tiny twist that needs to go into it to get around the rear t-case mount. In order to run it perfectly straight, it twists at the first 90. So, you will have a downpipe, 90, small adjuster 90, straight pipe to back, then 45 to ground. Be sure to angle your exaust away from straight down and toward the center of the vehicle. Sounds nuts, but straight down kicks up dust, and angled to the outside hits the frame usually, if it is mounted high.

On legality, it depends on the local rules. Every state is different. On some trail runs I go on they require mufflers, but it is for the noise level. Since it is not loud, I have not run into trouble yet. Good luck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:33 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I've attached a pic of the stock setup below and added some reference points.

Let me ponder what you've said but in the meantime the pic should help clarify it all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	5659  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
I've attached a pic of the stock setup below and added some reference points.

Let me ponder what you've said but in the meantime the pic should help clarify it all.

Ohhh,

I thought this whole time you were going to do a shorty and dump the fumes foreword of your rear axle, like I did in these pictures. Are you sure you want all that pipe to get to the back? Will a 3in fit everywhere? Also, most shops don't have the ability to mandrel bend a 3in pipe so all the welding of the different pieces might get expensive. Well, good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5180196.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	5660   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5180197.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	5661  

Name:	P5180198.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	5662  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

I had my exhaust done here (N. Reading loacation). No complanits after 3 years,

http://www.louscustomexhaust.com/locationsmap.html
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:30 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Dave, Yes, I mentioned people hauler, non off-roader so this is a street truck - can't dump it short.

Stock is 65mm (2.56-in) so we're talking 1/2-in diameter increase - no big deal fit-wise, there's room throughout the exhaust length.

Eric, Can you recall what you had done and how much?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:26 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

I had from the Y pipe back replaced w/stainless steel for $300, including hangers & muffler.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:50 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I briefly spoke with the Boston location. They will bend 3-in and can supply stainless at $55/10-ft. That sounds pretty cheap.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:11 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Man, I really wish I knew exhaust people like you folks do. Here on Long Island, all of the GOOD shops flat out refused to work on my truck because it's a Land Rover. The rest all wanted to charge me well over a full grand for the work, and that wasn't even stainless.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:58 PM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

The best part is I dropped my truck of in the morning and 2 hours later it was ready

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions