muffler repair, any shops in/around DC? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 31st, 2011, 02:27 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

muffler repair, any shops in/around DC?

Hello all,
I'm in need of some muffler repair, the engine tube cracked where it meets the muffler (300tdi) while I was away for the weekend. In order to make the (what became a 9 hour) drive from the outer banks back to DC, I JB welded it down there (didn't have a whole lot of options). It held for the most part, but I don't consider this a permanent fix.

Options:
1) cut out all the JB weld, then just weld a small section of exhaust pipe (maybe 3-4") in its place
2) replace muffler with something similar/universal that has the in/out on the same side like this one
3) cut out muffler entirely (least desirable for legal/sound reasons)

Advice? Anybody know of a shop that could do this for cheap? I don't care how ghetto the fix looks, I just want it to stop friggen rattling...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAN MUFFLER.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	39241  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2011, 04:59 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Do you have any pictures pre-jb? I think anything will be temporary unless you get some new metal welded in there but you can't tell where good metal is there. Most shops will give you a free estimate and can usually weld in a replacement muffler pretty cheap.
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:07 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

No pics prior to the JB.
But I can say it cracked relatively neatly in a straight-ish line around right about the middle of the JB patch. there was about 1/4-1/2" of metal left on the muffler side.
I was thinking maybe grinding off the JB weld on the muffler side, then cutting before the JB weld on the pipe side then using something like the pic below (ignore the dimensions, was just looking for a pipe size changer pic) to reconnect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	39244  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2011, 05:16 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

If you dont have access to a welder I would cut with a sawzall then replace with any muffler of choice or a straight pipe. Use these clamps

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-33226/

They work really really well on lap joints
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:22 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
If you dont have access to a welder I would cut with a sawzall then replace with any muffler of choice or a straight pipe. Use these clamps

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-33226/

They work really really well on lap joints
yeah, no access to welder. Do have a sawzall here, I guess I'll need to find a universal-ish muffler with the inlet/outlet on the same side. Any idea how the hangers would attach? Are there even hangers preinstalled on a universal muffler?

What about cutting out the muffler entirely? just getting an elbow bend and connecting the engine pipe to the tailpipe...
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Im going to a straight pipe, both my mufflers are blown out anyway.

most mufflers are sized by pipe OD, There are many many to choose from. try browsing summit for a replacement. Usually they are fluted on both sides to accept the pipe as a lap joint.

You can then use a universal clamp on hangar to your OEM attachment points.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-630550/
and a U clamp

This is the hack way for doing it but, its way cheaper then a full new pipe and fitting ata shop...prob around $500 if you getting SS and mandrel bends

Edit:

If your going to be in my area 10925, I can weld it on for you. Its a flux core welder so it will be ugly...but it will hold
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:43 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Not in DC, but close- Pasadena, MD.

http://www.mandrelbend.com/

I'm having them do a custom exhaust for me within the next week. They come with great reviews.
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Get a 2 big hose clamps, a piece of sheet metal ~3in wide and 8in long (galvanized) and some more JB. Goop up with JB, wrap with sheet metal, then put the two hose clamps on top to hold the sheet metal inplace.

Let dry.

Old May 31st, 2011, 09:29 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Get a 2 big hose clamps, a piece of sheet metal ~3in wide and 8in long (galvanized) and some more JB. Goop up with JB, wrap with sheet metal, then put the two hose clamps on top to hold the sheet metal inplace.

Let dry.

Ron good
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:34 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

what are they charging and what all are you getting done?

i used some jb weld type stuff (mesh with a paste to cover holes) and it held up, but its starting to crack.

time to get new muffler and tail pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Not in DC, but close- Pasadena, MD.

http://www.mandrelbend.com/

I'm having them do a custom exhaust for me within the next week. They come with great reviews.
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:37 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
what are they charging and what all are you getting done?

i used some jb weld type stuff (mesh with a paste to cover holes) and it held up, but its starting to crack.

time to get new muffler and tail pipe.

Having them install a custom Y-pipe/Random Tech Cat setup from Eric @ Trailhead, and custom fab the rest of it using 304 stainless and a Magnaflow muffler. No price quoted until they see the truck- I'll let you know if interested.
I currently have a full Borla cat-back which is terrific around town, but has a slight drone at 2700-2800 rpm (where I spend most of my time; on the hwy). From what I've read, the Magnaflow has little to no resonance.
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:36 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Random cats will be nice.
Old June 1st, 2011, 07:52 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
cut it off and get a turndown from the parts store, yeah..
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'm pretty sure Danny is asking here because he wants to go cheap, not some of the options you are suggesting.

Danny, if the noise from that leak bothered you, I'd imagine removing the muffler would be too loud for you, but perhaps I am wrong. Either way you can likely do it ron good and it will last for a while but eventually it will fail, so don't waste too much time or money on this temporary fix.

If you do want to go temporary and you need help doing it, come on out to the burbs and I'll fix you up.
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Random cats will be nice.
Yeah, hoping the entire setup turns out nicely. Considered ceramic coating all of it, but the cats were already welded into the y-pipe, so coating the inside wouldn't be possible. It's a costly process too, so in the end- I decided it just wasn't worth it. I'll post some pics when complete.
Old June 1st, 2011, 11:10 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I'm pretty sure Danny is asking here because he wants to go cheap, not some of the options you are suggesting.

Danny, if the noise from that leak bothered you, I'd imagine removing the muffler would be too loud for you, but perhaps I am wrong. Either way you can likely do it ron good and it will last for a while but eventually it will fail, so don't waste too much time or money on this temporary fix.

If you do want to go temporary and you need help doing it, come on out to the burbs and I'll fix you up.
Thanks Charles, I might take you up on that. The only problem with the JB weld is I feel like the small vibrations are whats causing it to crack (albeit slowly) I'm ok with a ghetto fix. But I think a welder might need to be involved
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:58 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just make sure you give Charles at least a day or two notice...his welder is still at my house!
Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:31 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Not sure about james may's 300tdi, but I am runing my 200tdi sans muffler at the moment and the noise level is quite reasonable. There are two resonators still in the exhaust system which seem to be keeping exterior noise in check. (I'm not doing this on purpose either...what jeff thought was a broken exhaust hangar was my entire muffler sheared off from the rest of the exhaust )

Might be worth it in the short term to put the muffler in the bed?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:18 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Out of fairness, we diagnosed the muffler hanger without actually looking under the truck!
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:18 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

On 200/300TDi's the turbo kills a lot of the exhaust noise. They're not a lot louder without mufflers than with.

I wouldn't put just any aftermarket muffler on. Because they don't have to do much to cut the decibels, mufflers for turbo diesel engines tend to have few or no baffles -- pretty much like a glass pack. Petrol engine mufflers are much more restrictive.

A cheap glass pack and a couple of clamps would be my bargain fix.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions