muffler repair, any shops in/around DC? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:25 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Mmh, sounds like you need to keep that Jeff guy away from your truck. Nothing but trouble!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:33 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Out of fairness, we diagnosed the muffler hanger without actually looking under the truck!
That was very impressive!! I also noticed that british folk don't use flexpipe on their exhausts. That will have to change in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Mmh, sounds like you need to keep that Jeff guy away from your truck. Nothing but trouble!
Obviously he thought my life was too easy after making the incredibly annoying grinding/rattling while coasting go away.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:37 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

@Ed and @Tony, I'm thinking something like that too. Maybe I'll try to find a cheap small glasspack that I can put in place of some of the what will be excess tubing (or nothing at all).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
go to this place:

http://tinyurl.com/3p36vy9

everyone says they do great work, and cheap. Have them put a straight through muffler on it, and get rid of the twin cans if you have that setup.
They will probably want to do a welded system, I would go ahead with it and just take it back there when it is time to do it again. From what I have seen, they are cheaper than any other custom exhaust shop in the area. Wish I knew about them when I did mine. or, just buy the part and change it yourself.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

thanks Dave, just gave them a call. They told me $80 to cut out my existing muffler and replace with a glasspack. I might give them a try.
Old July 1st, 2011, 02:52 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

fyi...
After getting a quote of 750 for a muffler and tailpipe from a local shop, I headed to this place... tonys custom exhaust. If you arent anal about your welding beads being perfect...this place will do quality work at a really good price. I doubt anywhere will beat their pricing.

I wanted a standard muffler (no loud sound), but they didnt have anything in stock that fit my setup so I got a magnaflow. Its bigger and longer and hangs half an inch lower than I would like, but it sounds perfect (very light sound).

They said I could order a muffler on my own and bring it in. I was already there, and didnt want to fight traffic again. I just wanted to get it done. If you ordered stuff off summit racing, etc., and had them install....you would save your self a lot of money.

Generally, it sounded like their standard pricing is $225 for muffler and tailpipe bent and installed. $180 for a cat installed. Im sure everything is negotiable to a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
go to this place:

http://tinyurl.com/3p36vy9

everyone says they do great work, and cheap. Have them put a straight through muffler on it, and get rid of the twin cans if you have that setup.
They will probably want to do a welded system, I would go ahead with it and just take it back there when it is time to do it again. From what I have seen, they are cheaper than any other custom exhaust shop in the area. Wish I knew about them when I did mine. or, just buy the part and change it yourself.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions