Muffler or no? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 21st, 2013, 06:28 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Muffler or no?

So what's the current wisdom on mufflers for diesels? Are 200/300 engines OK without as long as you have a full length tailpipe?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2013, 06:54 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Besides the noise which sounds pretty cool I haven't had any issues running straight pipes on any of my diesels I have run a straight pipe on my OM617 for over 15k miles . I can't imagine the 200-300 would be much different .
I love the turbo whine with a straight pipe .

Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 21st, 2013, 08:27 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

With the turbo pushing out the exhaust charge, there is no need to be concerned about valves burning like gas engines. The turbo has a tendency to "chop up" the exhaust noise making it more growling and not as loud. You will probably hear some turbo whistle mixed in, but that will be the only high pitched sound.

We have a machine shop manufacture 3 bolt flat unions out of 1/4" steel and make our own exhaust systems using mandrel bent pipes that are purchased in 90 or 45 degree bends. Then we use the main muffler off the Mercedes 300D that uses the same size pipe as the TDI, but lasts 10 times longer than the average muffler. We also weld in flanges for a union a little ways down the down pipe just after the manifold (you need to leave enough room to get to the manifold nuts). This eliminates the need to fight frozen nuts, bolts, studs that fasten the down pipe to the stock manifold (most of the time).

The stock TDI exhaust has no flex joint which rattles the baffle inside the stock TDI mufflers loose and created clanging sounds. To prevent this, we buy a flex joint and weld it in close to the manifold after the first flange union. With this fore thought type planning you can add unions where you want them and section the entire system which then bolts together. Then when you need to pull the engine, gearbox, transfer case, whatever. you then only need to unbolt the applicable exhaust section.

We sometimes work on vehicles with an exhaust shop custom made one piece exhaust.
When you need to replace the clutch or gearbox, the only option is to cut the one piece exhaust into sections. When we fixed Robert Price's 110, it actually had a bad rattle... when examined, the shop had welded the exhaust to the frame... go figure.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2013, 09:17 AM
Trey C
Trey Crowther
1983 V8 110 County

Registry
Dad has a straight pipe on the 130
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:27 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Would it make any sense to wrap the down pipe in heat tape, and would that reduce the whistle at all?

1968 2A 88

Old October 21st, 2013, 09:27 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
We sometimes work on vehicles with an exhaust shop custom made one piece exhaust. When you need to replace the clutch or gearbox, the only option is to cut the one piece exhaust into sections. When we fixed Robert Price's 110, it actually had a bad rattle... when examined, the shop had welded the exhaust to the frame... go figure.
Welded to the frame? Holy Jeez?!
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:30 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Would it make any sense to wrap the down pipe in heat tape, and would that reduce the whistle at all?
No and no.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old October 21st, 2013, 11:44 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
My tdi has the stock down pipe (with a flex section) mated to the stock tdi center section (with muffler) mated to the NAS rear section (eliminating the aft muffler). 10 years, all good, noise levels normal and acceptable.

Old October 21st, 2013, 01:31 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
My tdi has the stock down pipe (with a flex section) mated to the stock tdi center section (with muffler) mated to the NAS rear section (eliminating the aft muffler). 10 years, all good, noise levels normal and acceptable.
In USA, we rarely see the later TDI setups, but up to 2002 no flex joints seen here on stock systems purchased by those installing a TDI in an 80s era 90 or 110.

Sounds like a nicer setup on your 110 than what we usually see here.
Those small rear mufflers are a nuisance... always rusting out and falling off, so eliminating them is a good idea.

Old October 21st, 2013, 03:45 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I ended up with two down pipes when I built my 90, one with a cat and one without. I used the without version but both had flex sections. All new parts though, would have been new as of 2004 when I did the rebuild.

Old October 21st, 2013, 03:54 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I've run my 300 with and w/o a muffler and didn't notice much of a difference at all in terms of noise or getup.
I'm running stock OEM center muffler and rear canister at the moment, but when I first bought my truck the PO had the center muffler removed and a straight pipe installed. He had gone many many thousands of miles in this configuration without a problem.
You couldn't really hear any difference from the driver seat, but it was a bit more "growly" from outside. Still, barely audible turbo spool noise in either setup.
Old October 21st, 2013, 08:11 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
well Craddock's has the whole mess for about 150 bux, so that's where I'm going for now.

1968 2A 88

Old October 21st, 2013, 09:17 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Really? Go big on the pipe....low flow muffler and chrome stacks! Just kidding....kinda...
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:19 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
way to go, one handed typing skills!

1968 2A 88

Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:57 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I had a local exhaust shop bend up a pipe for my 200tdi. No muffler. I thought I would try it out and if it was too loud I could always add a muffler later.

I never added the muffler.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 05:58 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I use the stock header pipe with the flex section (most of the "kits" LR sold had these....or at least the ones I bought did even back in the 90's). I remove the cat and use a 12" straight through SS muffler from Summit racing. The straight pipe thing gets a little old.

I've also used a lot of the NRP SS "cat back". Uses 2 of the V8 resonators and makes a pretty sweet sound.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:59 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Well the down pipe I got from Trevor/rovahfarm has a 2 bolt flange and flare on the end.

1968 2A 88

Old October 24th, 2013, 06:48 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Yes, there is indeed a part that comes that way. I have a pile of them. I dont use them as they vibrate annoyingly. If I do use them I weld in a flex section.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions