Muffler Flange Bolt removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 28th, 2009, 05:00 PM
96 D1 5spd
Muffler Flange Bolt removal

I am in the middle of replacing my exhaust system from behind the catalytic converter. The flange bolts that connect to the muffler are completely rusted. One snapped while I was removing the muffler, and the other is looking pretty tired.

My question is . . . are the flange bolts the type that are "pressed" in, or are they just stuck in there due to rust?

I am pretty sure they are the press in type, so then my next question is should I just drill the old bolts out or try to pound them out? Keep in mind the flange is still attached to the Y pipe which is still attached to the truck.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old May 28th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
They are press on. On my lwb, I just welded on ground down bolts to the flange after cleaning it up. My D90 would have gotton a new Y-pipe.

*not legal advice*
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM
1995 SW #487/500
I heated it with a torch and hammered it out.
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions