Muffler - Exhaust Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 4th, 2008, 04:47 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Muffler - Exhaust Question

So I just noticed that my tail pipe coming from my muffler looks like swiss cheese.

A few questions - does anyone ever just replace this section of the exhaust. I think it is bolted to the muffler or do you always replace it all?

Now for a new exhaust, stainless is a must. I don't drive that far and I feel I never get the exhaust hot enough to burn out any water sitting in the tail pipe, hence the rot. So what should I get?

I love the look of the borla? I know it is loud but is it good? Since I can't ship to ECR for a muffler/exhaust what is the best thing I can do?

I live in LA.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2008, 05:06 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

If you want something cheap we have some used takes off pipes and mufflers in the for sale section.
Borla is a little droney for some folks, some love it.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 4th, 2008, 05:24 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

If I was close enough to pick up the used ones for sale I think I would have you guys do the whole thing

I want to replace this once and that is it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2008, 06:46 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Couple/ three months we will have the mail order systems ready. The last tweak is being done now (changing the Y pipe outlet to a 3 bolt flange instead of 2 for a stonger and leak free union), and the original prototype has lasted on my own 90 for many years now.
One down side is that it wouldn't be CARB certified if you need that. I haven't looked into what that takes, and likley as it will be such a small seller I doubt we'd go for it.

Old October 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I don't think I would need carb certified not that I know what that is. My defender is pretty much stock. I just put new cats in last year so I guess that would all be throw away. Ugh decisions.
Old October 5th, 2008, 02:34 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Does anyone have a picture of what the end of the nrp exhaust looks like mounted.
Old October 6th, 2008, 03:54 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Here are a couple pictures showing my NRP exhaust.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp D 90 Winchin.bmp (549.4 KB, 122 views)
File Type: bmp LR D-90 small.bmp (833.8 KB, 112 views)
Old October 9th, 2008, 01:29 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Question Ecr + Carb

Mike,

Do you plan to have any CARB compliant exhaust systems for sale via mail order? My cats are dead and I figure I might as well look for a complete exhaust replacement. I would LOVE to have ECR Rox exhaust on my 1997 D90!! I just dont trust a local shop to do it correctly, especially in stainless.

You might have 2 quick sales on this thread..... Barry and I even close enough to share the shipping costs!

Barry,

CARB = California Air Resources Board. You will need to comply with CARB in California if you want to get your car past the SMOG check every 2 years to renew your registration. That does limit some of the options available to you.

Thanks!

Paul
Old October 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Exhaust

My pipe from the muffler back was also a mess. Everything else was fine. I had a local shop replace just the pipe from the muffler back. They did an awesome job and it cost me $100.
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:05 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

So annoyed, finally decided on a borla and of course no one has it. Borla is moving their wharehouse so Dec is the earliest it would come. Guess I am back to NRP.
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:14 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcscharfe
Mike,

Do you plan to have any CARB compliant exhaust systems for sale via mail order?
I'll have to have Holly look into it.
I have no idea what it would take. I don't even know if NRP or Borla systems are certified.
Once the final version of the system is done (should be done with it early next week) then we'll look into that. My guess is that with gov. mess... it is not likely we would do it.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
So annoyed, finally decided on a borla and of course no one has it. Borla is moving their wharehouse so Dec is the earliest it would come. Guess I am back to NRP.

I have a used NRP cat back system that can be yours for 100.

Old October 9th, 2008, 05:22 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

ill take it. EDIT -- i'll email HOLLY.... Barry, you replaced your cats, correct? If you want dibs on the used NRP let me know... i'll email Holly in a little while
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:25 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

is this another nrp you have other than the one you just sold? I am sure shipping wouldnt be worth it. any pics?
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:51 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Mike,

If you know which of the Random Tech. Cats you use in your exhaust systems I can call them and try to determine if they are CARB compliant. I'm happy to do some leg-work for this. I guess the make and model of the muffler would also be important.

Thanks.

Paul
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:31 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

RE: USED NRP

On second thought, I'm going to pass on the used NRP -- thanks anyway Mike. Im going to keep looking for a high-quality stainless solution that will work here in CA.... If you make any headway on the CARB compliant info, or need my help in researching it here, just let me know.

I guess I could always just order a system from you, install, take it to an emissions testing facility and see if I passed! An expensive plan no doubt, but that would provide a real answer.

Thanks.

Paul
paul (at) reflexivedesign (dot) com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust