Defender Source Forum banner

Mudflaps+Borla

Tags
borla flaps mud
3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Raz 
#1 ·
I put rear mudflaps on my truck, I was wondering if a Borla would work in conjunction with them, not blowing an assload of heat and melting them. I think that they would work but i am really not sure, so before i dish out the $$ for a Borla I'd wanna make sure it wont melt my mud flaps. I have only seen one D-90 fitted with a Borla in real life so I cant really remember if it would work. ANy thoughts? thanks. I think i will also post on pirate4x4 those guys are bound to know the answer j-jk

#2 ·
:evilfinge Fawking search Noob :evilfinge :rolleyes

I have no idea, just padding my post count

#4 ·
nope, just a little pirate humor :grin

*PAD*

#5 ·
I don't have mud flaps but I do have the Borla and the tailpipe is tucked up pretty high. It doesn't stick way out behind the wheel like the stock pipe. I don't think the Borla pipe would be close enough to the flaps to melt them. I could e-mail you a photo of mine if that would help.

#6 ·
haha long live the pirate4x4.

Phil some photos would be nice the more the better. does the Borla blow straight down to the ground or liberate exhaust at an angle. if its blowing down i would worry. my flaps are the Euro kind mounted to the bottom of the rear X member.... thanks.

#7 ·
Wow, I didn't realize they were mounted so far back. It blows down and angled slightly out. I'll get you some photos so you can see for yourself. It might not be until tomorrow though, we're having another winter storm and I have no electricity in the garage right now.

#9 ·
Phil, I just went and had a new tip welded on the pipe that takes the exhaust straight out about 3" behind the rear tire, with about 4" clear back to the flap.

#13 ·
Phillip,

You know I love ya man, but I just gotta say what most of us are thinking:

Mudflaps = :rainbow

#14 ·
Gotta disagree. Mudflaps are one of the unique and definitively "Land Rover" ingredients in the formula of Rover heritage.

Big rubber flaps that hang off the thing like a semi are one of the most unique appointments to the truck, not found on other vehicles and complete the Land Rover look, in my view, based on historically broad use of them on expedition vehicles and special vehicles build-ups.

Plus, they are polite to folks driving behind in muddy conditions.

Would you say this truck looks light on its feet?

Attachments

#19 ·
David you are def. wrong with that statement...Mudflaps are def. unique and very land rover....
Your absolutely right, they are def. unique and very Land Rover and Def. :rainbow :grin

#20 ·
They aren't so unique when you start getting them snatched off at $50 a pop.:grin Phillip, the exhaust shouldn't interfere with the mudflaps. If you had caught me a couple of months ago, I had a set that you could have had. I think I ended up throwing them away as nobody wanted them.

Chris

#21 ·
shitty. I think my dad was wanting to look at your SW to see if they would work since you have the BOrla and i want to get one if it wont interfere with the mudflap. Do you still have the borla on your SW?

#22 ·
Well, yes and no. It had the Borla exhaust. The Borla muffler sounded like shite so I had a nice glass pack put on. Baffles came loose and it sounded like shite. So the other day, I had a 40 series Flowmaster installed. Sounds much better. I do still have the tip.:grin Phillip, if it is the tip you really like, there is an aftermarket tip that looks exactly like the Borla one. I will try and find out who makes it. I wouldn't spend the money on the whole exauhst. Spend a $120 and get a flowmaster and the tip installed.

#23 ·
Resurrecting a very old post for anyone searching the Borla/mudflap combo.
I added genuine brackets and Allmakes mudflaps as the genuine pre-2007 are NLA (no TD5 cut out on the LH side) and I have a Borla exhaust already installed. My first short drive and the LH flap was very hot and a bubble was forming from delamination of the flap. There would seem to be enough clearance between the exhaust tip and the mudflap, but apparently not.
I'll likely have the exhaust tip moved to exit behind the wheel as I like the look and function of the mudflap and it's state law to have the top half of the rear tires covered. I had a friend pulled over for it before and I don't like being pulled over.

#26 ·
Heat shield installed. .025 gauge aluminum.
Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Aluminum doesn't seem to get too hot and mudflap stays cool.
I just threw it together in about 30 minutes. Works for now and I can improve on it later if I decide to go this route for good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.