MUDD UK Console Double Din Stereo Install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 8th, 2014, 03:53 PM
COJ142
Michael Giroux
1985 Defender 110 CSW RHD

MUDD UK Console Double Din Stereo Install

This week I'm going to swap out my old Sony single din head unit for the new Panasonic AppRadio3 with rearview camera and all kinds of cool options.

We (wife and four kids) travel as a family to all kinds of sporting events and spend a lot of time hanging out in around the vehicle between matches, etc, so this is going to get a lot of use.

Recently, I put in four 5 1/2" Polk Audio speakers, two Kicker 4" under the AC unit and a small 12" Kicker Subwoofer in the back. I also had the MUDD UK console installed and it's time to do the stereo now.

I plan on posting a few pics here before and after and during.

My question is for guys who've used the MUDD console and done double din installs, ... what did you use for a finishing bezel around the head unit?

The Pioneer doesn't come with a cage or a finishing bezel or trim piece. Even if the hole is cut-out perfectly, there'll still be a raw edge exposed and look kind've amateur unless I can locate some sort of universal bezel.

Any ideas on the bezel? Any ideas or warnings on the install?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2014, 03:59 PM
COJ142
Michael Giroux

Sample Pics

Here are a couple of sample pics I've picked up over the last few months illustrating the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-09 at 4.53.56 PM.png
Views:	451
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	92670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 4.57.37 PM.png
Views:	1285
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	92671  

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 5.19.21 PM.png
Views:	371
Size:	499.5 KB
ID:	92672  
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:06 PM
COJ142
Michael Giroux

Panasonic Install Kit

If you go with a Kenwood or Clarion head unit, they come with a finishing bezel. If I had known that, I might've gone that direction.

The Panasonic has a cool, no bezel look when you can install it in some factory type application. Not gonna happen here so after market bezel is the answer from what I've seen.

Here's what I'm thinking right now. It comes with cage and bezel.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Panasonic Install Kit.png
Views:	184
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	92673  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
the upper right picture is my roverpc. that is a Zenarc 7" touchscreen, so it came as a monitor, and I kept the front half of the screen casing as my bezel.

what you want to do is go to mp3car. that forum and store is all about this stuff. the store itself has bezels for all kinds of custom applications, and the forums talk about making bezels for just about anything.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:14 PM
COJ142
Michael Giroux

Bezel

Thanks Mark. I never kept any record of where I scored those screen shots, so it's cool to find out. You've got a really nice set up and it's been my main visual inspiration for going this direction.

I'll check out MP3. Thx.

One question on your seat heater switches. Did you buy those separately, or did they come with the heated seats? I've got exmoor diamond w heat but they didn't come with switches. I'd like to get those wrapped up, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
the upper right picture is my roverpc. that is a Zenarc 7" touchscreen, so it came as a monitor, and I kept the front half of the screen casing as my bezel.

what you want to do is go to mp3car. that forum and store is all about this stuff. the store itself has bezels for all kinds of custom applications, and the forums talk about making bezels for just about anything.
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
they came with the heat seat kits. you should check with exmoor. if they are a standard switch, you could use labeled carling contura II switches, which would blend in very nicely.

Old April 8th, 2014, 05:11 PM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
Were you at Sonic Sound in Arlington this morning? Believe I might have seen your truck there. They are great and can definitely come up with a solution for you. I had them install my double din radio in a Mud console.
Old April 8th, 2014, 08:04 PM
COJ142
Michael Giroux

Yeah, sure was! Was that you in the Ferrari F40?

I've heard really good things about Sonic Sound. Unfortunately, they can't do it for over 3 weeks AND they quoted me $650!

Mine is prewired and just needs to be mounted w a cage and a brace and reverse camera installed. Although I feel like they do know what they're doing I just can't see it being more than a 3-4 hour job.

Is that price within range? Maybe I'm just ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaughva View Post
Were you at Sonic Sound in Arlington this morning? Believe I might have seen your truck there. They are great and can definitely come up with a solution for you. I had them install my double din radio in a Mud console.
Old April 8th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJ142 View Post

I've heard really good things about Sonic Sound. Unfortunately, they can't do it for over 3 weeks AND they quoted me $650!

Mine is prewired and just needs to be mounted w a cage and a brace and reverse camera installed. Although I feel like they do know what they're doing I just can't see it being more than a 3-4 hour job.

that is an insane price. I have a reverse camera tied into mine and I got it on ebay for $40. it's a 3 wire install. If you are paying over $150 for labor, they are bending you over.

I did mine myself. just basic audio and wiring skill required. if you are already prewired, you can cut the pigtail off your old radio and just match the wires up. then you are just splicing wires.

Old April 8th, 2014, 08:39 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

....I can imagine what a stereo shop install would look like like too if it was only $150.... as I've seen a few...
Old April 8th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
sorry, I have no point of reference. I do all my own wiring. But $650 to install a head unit in a pre-wired car is sick crazy in my opinion.

Old April 8th, 2014, 09:00 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

I agree, $650 is high.
Old April 8th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
let's put it in some context. Radio shop: " you give me that winch and I'll hook up your stereo for you". My response: "Kiss my hitch!"

Old April 8th, 2014, 09:21 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
sorry, I have no point of reference. I do all my own wiring. But $650 to install a head unit in a pre-wired car is sick crazy in my opinion.
I agree. Wow $650! Jeeze ..there better be a 'give away' of some sort for that price. I've always installed my own too.

------ Follow up post added April 8th, 2014 08:27 PM ------

Quote:

Well if you have three weeks anyway? Maybe give it a try doing it yourself and no you're not ignorant
Old April 9th, 2014, 07:47 AM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
Quote:
Yeah, sure was! Was that you in the Ferrari F40? I've heard really good things about Sonic Sound. Unfortunately, they can't do it for over 3 weeks AND they quoted me $650! Mine is prewired and just needs to be mounted w a cage and a brace and reverse camera installed. Although I feel like they do know what they're doing I just can't see it being more than a 3-4 hour job. Is that price within range? Maybe I'm just ignorant.
The F430 was a buddy of mine who I was with. $650 is high if it's just mounting the head unit and installing a backup camera. I believe they did mine for $400 but they had to rewire the amp and mount a gps antenna and mic. I would suggest mounting and running the backup camera yourself to lower the cost. They really are the best in the area, and if anything goes wrong they are good about taking care of it at no extra cost. I can call and talk to the guy I use there if you would like.
Old April 9th, 2014, 08:03 AM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
This is mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1357370066.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	92744  
Old April 10th, 2014, 02:51 PM
COJ142
Michael Giroux

Head Unit

Great looking unit.

I bought the Pioneer AppRadio3 but it's 7"+ deep and the Mudd Console doesn't have enough clearance to accommodate it. I'm going to have to ship it back and find another unit.

What model did you use and does it have a back-up camera input? Do you know if they had to cut the console mounting bracket to hollow out some more space behind the unit? (I'm not talking about the initial cut-out of the dash. That's already been done to accommodate a double din.)

And yes, if you have any pull with them, I'd appreciate if you could give them a shout. I'd like to use them but the price needs to be in the ball park. I didn't mean for them to get beat up as an unreasonably priced place on this thread. I tried to tell them that the Defender community is close knit. If they hook one of us up, the rest are sure to take note. Either way, they have a great reputation.

Quote:
This is mine.
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:14 PM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
Thanks. It's the Parrot Asteroid Smart. It's only 4" deep which is one of the reasons I chose it. Great unit, and yes it does have a backup camera input. I've been really happy with it. No further cutting or modifications required.

What exactly do you want done? Just the head unit installed? Or sub and speakers as well? I'll give them a call in the next day and see whats up.

Quote:
Great looking unit.

I bought the Pioneer AppRadio3 but it's 7"+ deep and the Mudd Console doesn't have enough clearance to accommodate it. I'm going to have to ship it back and find another unit.

What model did you use and does it have a back-up camera input? Do you know if they had to cut the console mounting bracket to hollow out some more space behind the unit? (I'm not talking about the initial cut-out of the dash. That's already been done to accommodate a double din.)

And yes, if you have any pull with them, I'd appreciate if you could give them a shout. I'd like to use them but the price needs to be in the ball park. I didn't mean for them to get beat up as an unreasonably priced place on this thread. I tried to tell them that the Defender community is close knit. If they hook one of us up, the rest are sure to take note. Either way, they have a great reputation.
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:25 PM
COJ142
Michael Giroux

Parrott

Cool. Yes- just need head unit install, blue tooth mic and back-up camera.

Question on your head unit. Is it compatible with iPhone 5? I've heard Parrott was good with android but not with iPhone. Going to go do some research on it now, but what's been your experience? And, did you get it from local shop or online? Finally, and I have low expectations here, but, how's bluetooth mic been? I have 200TDI so I have doubt that it'll be useable when I'm actually driving but ...?

Quote:
Thanks. It's the Parrot Asteroid Smart. It's only 4" deep which is one of the reasons I chose it. Great unit, and yes it does have a backup camera input. I've been really happy with it. No further cutting or modifications required.

What exactly do you want done? Just the head unit installed? Or sub and speakers as well? I'll give them a call in the next day and see whats up.
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:33 PM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
Iphone 5 is what I have and never seen an issue. The Bluetooth (for both audio and phone calls) is equal to that in my 335 BMW. I was pretty shocked.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
console, mud, stereo