MUDD UK Console Double Din Stereo Install - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 10th, 2014, 05:31 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
the asteroid smart is pretty awesome, very impressed with its depth and range of features... I was looking at marine audio solutions due to their general lack of an optical drive (which I really think at this point is just wasted depth, I haven't seen a CD in like 4 years). Nice look on bringing this up. cheers

------ Follow up post added April 10th, 2014 03:36 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaughva View Post
Thanks. It's the Parrot Asteroid Smart. It's only 4" deep which is one of the reasons I chose it. Great unit, and yes it does have a backup camera input. I've been really happy with it. No further cutting or modifications required.

What exactly do you want done? Just the head unit installed? Or sub and speakers as well? I'll give them a call in the next day and see whats up.
Just curious, what are you running for a backup camera (as far as placement on the vehicle) there are so many out there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2014, 06:03 PM
BrianMD
Brian Mark
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Registry
@Blaughva - I love how clean that install is. Quick question, if I have a Mud Console on order, where did you get the switches/USB you have installed into yours? I'd like to order the same ones.

@COJ142 - I just got a Pioneer NEX-8000 delivered and worried it might not fit. Was it not even close to clearance? Or would it fit with slight/moderate modification? ps-looking forward to see yours done
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaughva View Post
This is mine.
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:11 PM
COJ142
Michael Giroux
1985 Defender 110 CSW RHD

Double Din Depth

Brian- that's a cool unit you got there. A lot of great features.

I couldn't find the dimensions of your Pioneer on their site, but from what I've seen, there's only about 5", maybe 6" of depth with the Mudd Uk console. My head unit needed 7"+.

Maybe you could cut into the Mudd's metal mounting bracket (in the way) and then carve out some more space by cutting away more of the vents behind the dash (in the way).

For me, I just couldn't see gaining the space I needed for a 7" deep unit no matter what I did. This is all assuming you want the face of the unit flush with the front of the console, which is the way to do it.

The Parrot and Zentec seem to be the only ones readily available that'll fit. I know Alpine use to have one, but I can't find it available anywhere.

Sorry. Maybe there's someone out there who's figured a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMD View Post
@Blaughva - I love how clean that install is. Quick question, if I have a Mud Console on order, where did you get the switches/USB you have installed into yours? I'd like to order the same ones.

@COJ142 - I just got a Pioneer NEX-8000 delivered and worried it might not fit. Was it not even close to clearance? Or would it fit with slight/moderate modification? ps-looking forward to see yours done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2014, 03:15 PM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
I ordered one off of Amazon (techtronics is the brand I believe). It was mounted on a license plate frame, which I then had the guys at Sonic Sound remove and mount above the hitch receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
the asteroid smart is pretty awesome, very impressed with its depth and range of features... I was looking at marine audio solutions due to their general lack of an optical drive (which I really think at this point is just wasted depth, I haven't seen a CD in like 4 years). Nice look on bringing this up. cheers

------ Follow up post added April 10th, 2014 03:36 PM ------

Just curious, what are you running for a backup camera (as far as placement on the vehicle) there are so many out there
------ Follow up post added April 11th, 2014 03:18 PM ------

The USB and switches all came from MUD. Aside from the hazard, they were all blank. I ordered the lables from MUD a while later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMD View Post

Old April 11th, 2014, 03:22 PM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
Camera placement
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2641628343.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	543.1 KB
ID:	92862  
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Shackle cam?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:36 PM
COJ142
Michael Giroux

iPad Solution

Here's something I'm trying out right now.

It's an iPad Mini for a head unit.

There are a lot of different ways I could mount it. Right now, I'm just using a homemade magnetic set up that allows it to swivel to portrait and landscape. If after a month, I still like it, I'm going to make a more permanent one or make something similar to what www.soundmanca.com has for sale.

We're a mac family and we like having all the apps, media, full screen navigation, etc. We're using an iStreamer to convert digital to analog for music, audio, etc. I'm still trying to figure out if I'd rather hook it up via bluetooth.

Just got my VDO pyrometer and clock which will mount on either side of the iPad.

I'll report back with what works best. In meantime, if you've already figured some of this out, appreciate you sharing some of the details.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	94340  
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:04 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

I'm a month or so away from doing the same thing with an iPad Mini, istreamer and Audio Control line driver with remote volume knob replacing the cigarette lighter. I've got the soundmanca holder. I have a soft top so it's got to pop out of the slide mount every time and I want to minimize how much of the vents I directly block. The new google maps app should make it worth the effort alone.
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:11 AM
COJ142
Michael Giroux

Amit- are you having someone fabricate the soundmanca holder into an existing dash or doing yourself?
make sure to throw some pics up when done so we can see what it looks like.
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:19 PM
jason1st
Jason Crandall
2006 LR3 2012 SC 1983 110

So regardless of weather I do an iPad as my head unit or buy a legit head unit, is this MUDD console the way to go? Or is there a better way?
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:02 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

I'm going to have someone fabricate the soundmanca holder into the existing dash. I'm deciding between just building a new panel that covers the vents out of aluminum and welding to it or trimming the dash pad and trying to build a bracket that mounts it flush. I get the truck out of the shop after a ton of work this coming week. I want to drive it for a while but the iPad Mini mount will be done soon.
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

I have actually used a Metra double din mount inside the MUDUK dash. It came out great. I have a spare in my closet if anyone wants it pm me...I had ordered two as s backup.

Description and pics attached. $10.00 shipped (I think that is what I paid).

Metra Double DIN Installation Dash Kit

Install dash kit for Double DIN/ISO Radios, Designed and manufactured with precision tolerances, resulting in a gapless fit between the dash and the kit, Painted to match factory dash color, High-grade ABS plastic construction, Factory style texture, Kit Includes: 1. Radio Trim Plate 2. Radio Housing Brackets.

Install dash kit for Double DIN/ISO Radios
Designed and manufactured with precision tolerances, resulting in a gapless fit between the dash and the kit
Painted to match factory dash color
High-grade ABS plastic construction
Factory style texture
Double-Din Radio Provision
Iso Stacked Radio Provision
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	611VIHqpbbL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	94645   Click image for larger version

Name:	61GbDIddF5L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	94646  

Old May 16th, 2014, 12:41 PM
COJ142
Michael Giroux

Ben- any pics of the finished product?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
console, mud, stereo