Mud UK vs Iron Goat Dash Console - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 18th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Mud UK vs Iron Goat Dash Console

Does anyone on here have a MUD UK or Iron Goat Dash Console? How do you like it and how was it to install? I was leaning towards the Iron Goat Console until I saw the installation instructions. Not only do you have to trim the lower dash but also the grey vent panel in the back. Is this the case? On the Mud UK one you only trim the lower dash (as far as I can tell).

Aslo, how is the clearance for the shifter? According to Mud UK you might have to bend your shifter make clearance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
I have the mud and love it! Plus MUD has awesome customer service! As for cutting your dash, its going to depend on what radio you choose as well as accessories. PM me your email address and I will send you a couple quick photos. Good luck.
Old December 18th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks! PM sent.
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I have owned both and prefer the mud. lot's more cutting with iron goat. the mud was also more accomodating to a double din install. the only advantage of the iron goat is that is is much stronger if you have heavy components to install, as it's reinforced with aluminum. mud uk is all abs.
Old December 18th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
I have a double din navigation system. MUD will support it fine. I can not speak for the goat.
Old December 18th, 2011, 10:02 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Matt, share your pics here please.

How about water ingress? One reason I haven't installed mine is I will need to make damn sure no water will get into the console otherwise it's not going to be too useful to me.
Old December 18th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
Water is risky, sorry to say but i dont drive mine in the rain... My top sucks! I have the pictures in my phone i would be happy to email them to you to upload. I cannot upload pics on my work computer...

------ Follow up post added December 18th, 2011 10:18 PM ------

Also, I put the navigation unit (remote system) behing the speedo and tach. As far as radio moisture, roll with the punches...
Old December 18th, 2011, 11:15 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, I'd be putting some ho made carputer stuff in there so water will be an issue for me so I'll have to make a rear cover plate or something. I'll PM you my email address so you can send the pics.

Thanks,
charles
Old December 18th, 2011, 11:43 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosproline157 View Post
Water is risky, sorry to say but i dont drive mine in the rain... My top sucks!
From what I know about Charles, I suspect it's not a rainy day we're talking about:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...5&d=1321293880
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 19th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

For those who have Contura Rocker Switches. Has anyone tried to replace the Contura Rocker Actuator Face Plates? I'm wondering if its possible to replace the actuator face plate which currently has a white lens with one that has a green lens. Since stock gauges are lit green it would be nice for the Console to be as well.
Old December 19th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I have green switches, and yes the Actuator id interchangeable ( actually, you buy the switch independently from the plate )
Old December 19th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Where did you get the green actuator plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
I have green switches, and yes the Actuator id interchangeable ( actually, you buy the switch independently from the plate )
Old December 19th, 2011, 12:59 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
For those who have Contura Rocker Switches. Has anyone tried to replace the Contura Rocker Actuator Face Plates? I'm wondering if its possible to replace the actuator face plate which currently has a white lens with one that has a green lens. Since stock gauges are lit green it would be nice for the Console to be as well.
Yes, but you need a special tool that pops the switch actuator out of the switch body. If you go to genuinedealz.com you will find all sorts of combinations of illuminated switch colors. On the Carlingswitch website they show a dizzying array of illuminated icon switches, but actually obtaining them is a whole other kettle of fish. From what I can gather, you have to buy a thousand switches if you want one of the icon ones. That's why nobody carries them and only major boat manufacturers have the icon ones on their vessels.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 19th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Genuinedealz don't seem to have the ones with a square window/lens. I did however find them here: http://order.waytekwire.com/productd...II%20ACTUATOR/

I just hope that the LEDs behind the actuator (that MUD UK sells) are clear/white and not colored. I plan to order these and then use the stencil sticker icons that MUD UK provides.
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:02 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Boring manufacturer's tech page

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:48 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I have the MUD Console and it is made of the finest in "Expedition Grade Plastic", meaning it is flexible like vinyl siding and feels like you could put your hand through it without much effort.

You will feel it in your hand and wonder why you paid what you did for it? But it does "work".

The way that it mounts to the front dash plate with two screws is woefully inadequate. You will need to modify the mounting brackets so that it mounts to the dash plate more rigidly.

I do not have the Iron Goat, but from pictures it looks like it solves the two biggest problems with the MUD Console, namely, an aluminum reinforcing plate for the plastic and more attachment points for the mounting brackets.

The disadvantage of the Iron Goat is fewer "square inches" so to speak - to mount stuff.

--------------------

Regarding installation:

You COULD mount the MUD UK console (and Iron Goat also) without cutting the gray vent panel. But in both installations, you MUST drill holes into it to mount the screws. If you do not cut the gray vent panel, you are
essentially sandwiching the vent panel between the mounting brackets and dash support plate (which I have done.)

Simply put, don't let that be a deciding factor in your purchase. You don't have to cut the gray vent panel in the iron goat console if you don't want to.

---------------------

There is a french guy on here who made his own dash console out of aluminum plate. Seems a stronger alternative.
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:58 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
This thread has become useless without pics. Here is Matt's however I was more interested in seeing shots with the frame/mounts and cuts people ended up doing.

You know, shots showing how it's too flimsy and the subsequent bracket modifications made...but I won't hold my breath
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	2333
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	45121  
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:00 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
touche!!!
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
Hey! I have seen that before, thanks for the post! Damn work computers! Anyway, I have solid connection to a steel fab. shop, so i had them for make a new back 1/8" thick backing plate (the one that screws into the dash). The original is 18ga. This has nothing to do with the front of the unit! The whole console is solid. The custom plate was only to help beef'n up the dash area I cut out. Good luck!
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I modified my MUDUK so that it only holds the 7" touchscreen. the carputer is actually in my 12" wide tuffy box. that way, it is better protected from elements, and if someone decides to break in and rip the mud uk console off, all my carputer and personal information on the hard drive is well protected from theft, and all I'm replacing is the touchscreen. very light as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
console, dash, mud